Beyond Balderdash: Question 6 Final Answers and Scores!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
We're at the halfway mark for the game. Each category will be repeated one more time and then we'll tally the winner!

So this round's category is WORDS.

What does this word mean?

VAGITIS

PM your guess by Monday, 1/8 by 7:00 AM EST. Anyone can guess.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Not a lot of people answered... Limited's lead could be threatened! The players that can answer are DarthFerret, Limited, sageridder, TomB, and turgy22

1. A complication of several sexually transmitted diseases resulting in dry and painful intercourse.
  2. A mental illness that causes women to be disgusted with their own vagina.
  3. The cry of a newborn baby.
  4. Urbanspeak for when a man wants a sex change operation.
  5. A viral infection whose symptoms include sores that commonly appear in the ears, nose, and mouth.
  6. The process of passing harmful chemicals through a medium (such as water) to break them down into their harmless components.

PM your final answer by Thursday, 1/11 by 7:00 AM EST.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, everyone got their answer in early, so here's the results:

1. A complication of several sexually transmitted diseases resulting in dry and painful intercourse. (sageridder)
  2. A mental illness that causes women to be disgusted with their own vagina. (Limited)
  3. The cry of a newborn baby. (CORRECT!)
  4. Urbanspeak for when a man wants a sex change operation. (TomB)
  5. A viral infection whose symptoms include sores that commonly appear in the ears, nose, and mouth. (turgy22)
  6. The process of passing harmful chemicals through a medium (such as water) to break them down into their harmless components. (DarthFerret)

Limited and DF chose sageridder's guess.
turgy22 chose TomB's guess.
TomB chose Limited's guess.
sageridder chose turgy22's guess.

Everyone apparently had roughly the same thought when seeing the word; namely, it had to do with the "groin" area :) DF broke from the norm in his guess, but I guess it didn't pay off (as shown when no one chose the correct answer either).

Scoring for this round:

sageridder gets 3 points.
TomB gets 2 points.
Limited gets 2 points.
turgy22 gets 2 points.
DF gets 1 point.

Scoring overall:

Limited: 12

sageridder: 11

turgy22: 10

Oversoul: 9
TomB: 9

Mooseman: 8

DF: 7

Ransac: 1

L

Limited

Still in the lead :D

But looking up the word on the internet just now, I noticed that 'cry of an infant' is spelled vagitus, not vagitis. What's up with that?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Beats me. Maybe the Beyond Balderdash card is wrong. It's not even in dictionary.com and Googling it keeps giving me Beyond Balderdash examples.

Or maybe it's just an old word that fell out of the dictionary due to lack of use :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It's in the OED (which isn't free, but my whole county has access through our library system) under Limited's spelling (my guess would be that "vagitis" is a typo). It's obviously not a popular word, but it hasn't fallen out of usage completely. It's a shame I was gone for this one. I think I'd have guessed the right answer, although I don't know that I'd have come up with something that would have fooled anyone else...

Dictionary.com sucks, although I did check Merriam-Webster and they don't have it either, so you do need a good dictionary to find "vagitus."