Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep

• Shizo, Death's Storehouse

• Total voters
T

Tabasco

Well since Rooser has started discussion about Dragons and such, I thought I would get everyones' opinions of the new Legendary Lands.

Please take the poll on you favorite land. Please only vote for 2....and make sure that they are 2 different lands.

Here are the linkys for all you lazy peoples...or for those of you who just don't know them yet.

I put the colored ones in their respective colors and the colorless/ability lands in brown.

Boseiju, Who Shelters All

Hall of the Bandit Lord

Untaidake, the Cloud Keeper

Eiganjo Castle

Minamo, School at Water's Edge

Okina, Temple to the Grandfathers

Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep

Shizo, Death's Storehouse

Please List:

1. What format you favorite land will most likely shine in.
2. A possible combo with you favorite land.
3. Why you like the cards overall.

I'll go First.

1. I like Minamo, School at Water's Edge and I think it will hit Vintage like a atomic bomb!!
2. It will work real good with any of the 3 urza lands that produce mana (ie: Tolarian Academy) or (for card advantage with Arcanis)
3.It has alot of potential...and in vintage, it will be anywhere a blue deck with legends is.

R

Rooser

True dat, Oversoul, but I voterfied for two anyway. Just pretend you're voting for President and pick the lesser of two evils. Or at least, lesser two of evils.

I like the one that give fear to things because Phage.

And then the hasty one is fun. I forsee maybe finding room for that one in my green Big Stuff decks. If yer running Spike Feeders and Baloths and such, it's drawback can be handled methinks. It's also funny to haste of weird stuff like Yavimaya elder and crap. Mostly, I just think it's hilarious.

C

Chaos Turtle

Boseiju, Who Shelters All.

1. Extended, possibly Standard and block, though Standard will probably have to wait until next year, unless some good anti-Ravager tech turns up. Any other format where countermagic is an issue.

2. Any instant or sorcery card with at least 1 generic mana in the cost that you don't want to have countered.

3. Uhm... it makes instants and sorceries uncounterable for the low cost of 2 life, and even provides a mana to pay for it.

Minamo, School at Water's Edge is a very close second for reasons already noted.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Rooser
Just pretend you're voting for President and pick the lesser of two evils. Or at least, lesser two of evils.
I believe I'll vote for a third party candidate!

Oh well, I guess I'll humour you...

I hate Boseiju and think it's terrible...

But there is the possibility that some odd deck could really use it...

Also, Shizo provides mana, which is cool, and also has the capacity to give creatures evasion.

So I'll go with those two, not that I'll be using either any time soon...

M

Mikeymike

My favorite is Hall of the Bandit Lord.

1) Type 2 or Block possibly, but likely casual.

2) Bigguns that somehow gain life, like Ravenous Baloth and friends, or simply extremely cost-effective creatures (like Negator). You'll largely only want to use this with creatures of power 3 or greater though.

3) I love that it gives off-color haste AND mana. It is almost like getting free effects. It isn't nearly as good as Lightning Greaves, but it also does not require that its 3-4x qty eats up a spell slot. It is like getting a 64 card deck into a 60 card deck.

Its' lose-life stipulation can hurt, but aggro decks largely do not care about life-loss anyway. Take FleshReaver and Jackal Pups for example.
--
I'm not sure about Boseiju. I can't see myself ever playing it in casual, but I do see its' benefit in Type-1 combo decks (though a smart opponent might be able to play around it).

Minamo I don't necessarily see breakability with, but it does have a ton of application. There are plenty of great lands and creatures this can untap. I think it will see play

Shizo is quite solid. A land that provides colored mana AND evasion with no drawback besides B mana. Very nice card.

Shinka isn't a bad effect at all, but it doesn't play so well with the typical Red archtypes. I'll play it in casual though.

Untaidake seems too limited. I can't see this thing really taking off. However, any land that provides more than 1 mana hasn't always seemed to garner some kind of play. Ancient Tomb (which this is strictly inferior to), City of Traitors, Invasion and Masques sac lands, etc.

N

Notepad

Eigango is best. Sure, the blue one can combo, and the uncounterable can be fun, but in such a combat-heavy set, the damage prevention of the white land will be a battle trick that will change the course of games, even in limited. Especially in casual, too.

Plus, it still provides white mana, which is awesome!

R

Reverend Love

Boseiju, Who Shelters All is certainly interesting, however I doubt it'll see play. Maybe in type 2 if a counter control deck arises it might see some sweet sideboard action, but other then that nothing. It's one of those cards that at first strikes you as cool, but then its luster quickly fades once you realize it's limit.

Hall of the Bandit Lord received my vote. Reference Mickey's post. He said it better then I could.

Untaidake, the Cloud Keeper. I could see this getting action. It's bigger brother
Ancient Tomb was restricted due to abuse. And with a legend heavy format I see this thing becoming a house. Especially with hasted critters like Brothers Yamazaki.

Eiganjo Castle sucks. An annoying card at best. Maybe decent in limited, but I doubt it'll see play anywhere else.

Minamo, School at Water's Edge is awesome. Some of the best mana producers are type 1 legendary lands (Tolarian Academy, Gaea's Cradle)! This is like having two Tolarian Academy's in your deck. And for casual stunts wouldn’t it be nifty to draw six with Arcanis, or rubbing out multiple creatures with Visara?

Okina, Temple to the Grandfathers HA! This thing didn't see play back when it was called
Heart of Yavimaya! At least any creature could gain this slight boost. Now if we were looking at +2 +2 or even +2 +1 it'd be good...but not as is.

Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep (YMCA beat) KAA-KA-KA-KA it's fun to say it's KAA-KA-KA-KA

Shizo, Death's Storehouse maybe once Mirrodin rotates out it'll see some play. But not until then.

T

Tabasco

I agree...I think all of the artwork in CHK is amazing...
...I am not sure why people pointed out that some of the lands produce colored mana....because all of the CHK Legendary colored lands produce mana of the respective color....

R

Rooser

Beseiju is good, but overrated. That said, Tooth and Awakening decks should find a use for it in Type 2, so I'm not going to say it won't see sanctioned play because I would definitely eat my words.

What you are all failing to see as a fatal drawback to each of these cards is that they are legendary, and therefore drawing into two of them is very bad, this encourages you to play with fewer of them, which in turn makes them less reliable. Again, decks like Tooth and/or Awakening have the ability to go and grab specific lands, so they can rely on just one copy for the match-ups in which they need it.

That said, because the colored ones don't come into play tapped, there is little reason not to play with one and only one of them in decks that play legends. Sure, you can't really build a deck around eiganjo castle, but if you have some legends in your deck you might as well add the versatility of the ability to your arsenal because you're not really sacrificing anything by doing so.

T

Tabasco

...like Rooser said...at worst its a cool looking plains-replacement...

They also make crop rotation that much better..

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, Crop Rotation has some pretty hefty targets already.

The ones like Shizo are the most promising, since they could be used as one-ofs that act like basic lands most of the time and can be used to boost a legendary creature...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Rooser
What you are all failing to see as a fatal drawback to each of these cards is that they are legendary, and therefore drawing into two of them is very bad, this encourages you to play with fewer of them, which in turn makes them less reliable.
Would you want your opponent to have them? I thought one of the reasons behind the change in the Legendary rule was if you drew into multiples of your Legend, you can play one and cause the one already in play to be "buried" and then you can play your second safely, only under your control instead of your opponents.

T

Tabasco

Ya...like a Tolarian Academy mirror-match....so if your aopponent is also playing them...it encourages you to play at least one more copy...

13NoVa

who shelters all

well simple enough. you play it with a multicolor deck. some of the best spells can't be countered. Balance, arcane denial, incinerate, impluse, might of oaks, terror, ect.

(okay, one of the best spells... and 5 mediocre)

C

Chaos Turtle

It's nice to see you people coming around to my way of thinking.
How's it feel to be right once in a while?
;)

F

Force of Will Smith

Minamo is amazing with Cradles, Academy, etc

Boseiju breaks instant and sorceries (has no effect on storm)

I thought you were going to list all the legendary lands :(
I was going to say Tabernacle :(

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Best legendary land ever?

I can already tell you how that poll would go...

Train and maybe someone else would boycott blue and pick Cradle.

Force of Will Smith would pick Tabernacle (for some bizarre reason).

EVERYONE else would pick Academy and their comments would all be like "duh."

F

Force of Will Smith

actually, your poll says favorite.

I like it mainly because it does the exact same thing as pendrell mists, only doesnt cost 3U.

and in any and every game against a creature based deck, it slows them down at least a few turns..

It's mainly because of a sick Counter control deck i run.
The other reason i wouldnt choose tolarian is because its not fun, its just dumb :(

I usually try to stay away from cards like that

I never played a psychatog deck, a madness deck, a kci whatever..
When i had 4 stroke of genius i never made the deck.

So despite if somethings a standard type, i tend to shy away from it. Most of my really good decks i play very seldom. There's no real challenge in playing them.. my negator deck.. no fun..
my shadow+equipment. no fun.. fires.. no fun...

Green Direct damage deck.. :D fun.
Infinite Rat Deck, fun
Rekurmit the Frog, fun; and actually really good
Monoblue Djinn Deck, fun
Saprolings/ Soldiers/Wizards/Black Clerics, fun
Suicide Dragons, Legendary Dragons, Peacekeeper .. hella fun

I think i'll just start cracking open a ton of decks and posting them instead of referencing decks youve never seen. (unless maybe you were on mtgnews from 2001-present)

Troll asetics, masticores, Cursed Scrolls, Unmask, Meddling Mages, Akroma, Necropotence, Yawgmoth's Bargain, vindicate, any of the wishes,Recurring Nightmare, Tradewind Rider. Blech, all played out cards that should only be used sparingly.

For some reason i stay away from them. If i do use them it'll be something different.. I have a donate deck but it revolves around milling through your deck by playing free eggs from Oddyssey to find your illusions/donate.

I like trying to work with crap rares and uncommons... like volrath's dungeon and sindbad :)