Best cards to use with Isochron Scepter...

B

BigBlue

To take an interesting splinter out of the longer discussion...

In essence, we are looking for the best 2 CC or less instants for each color - and we should maybe look at both Type 1, Extended, and type 2.

I'm more curious to see what everyone else thinks...

But here are some of my early ideas:

In White: Swords, Enlightened Tutor, maybe Tithe in the right deck(Armageddon). Isn't there a token generator which costs 2 or less? and finally Disenchant.

In Black: Diabolic Edict, Vampiric Tutor, Cabal Ritual (if you have threshold... ok it isn't great...) I know I'm forgetting many good ones...

In Blue: Too many to list... :D

In Green: Giant Growth?, Fog?, Naturalize. Berserk, any more really good instants in Green?

In Red: Incinerate seems to keep cropping up in my mind. Shock seems weak... Any really good ones I'm forgetting?

Later I'll run a search to see what Instants are available at under 2 CC...

Any good Charms? Vision Charm? Is Funeral Charm an Instant?

N

NorrYtt

The best card to Imprint on Isochron Scepter is Fire/Ice. You either get a Cursed Scroll or an stalwart Icy-Tome.

T

train

Rain of blades deals with goblins well...

What about Abeyance?...

That's my call...

B

BigBlue

Yuck.... Abeyance? Every Upkeep? :(

That's just Mean... I hadn't thought of the split cards. Fire/Ice is pretty good...

I knew there were better cards out there...

What would the best Cantrips be? So, for 2 you get the effect and a card...

T

train

Abeyance...
Gaea's Blessing...

ABEYANCE!!!...

Brings a whole new meaning to white weenie/control...

M

Mikeymike

Skipping the ones that were said in this thread....

Black - Terror, Shallow Grave, Burnt Offering, Entomb, False Cure, Tainted Pact, Word of Command (puke)

Red - (I like Incinerate as well), Price of Progress, Molten Influence, Fork, Flame Burst, Blazing Salvo, Word of Blasting (comboed with something to turn stuff into walls), About Face, Accelerate, Falter, Flaring Pain, Stun

Green - That new +3/+3+Trample, Vitalize, Respite, Bind (yay!), Crop Rotation, Magnify (eh), Reclaim (ooo), Sandstorm, Symbiosis, vitality Charm, Krosan Reclamation, Natural Selection, Seedtime

White - Raise the Alarm (the new token maker), Awe Strike, Orim's Chant, Reprisal, Eye for an Eye, Honor the Fallen, Winnow

Blue - So so many, but...Memory Lapse, Snap, Impulse, Alter Reality, Artificial Evolution, Karn's Touch (actually not so horrible right now), Standardize, Telekenisis

Gold/Split - Wax/Wane, Terminate, Simoon (yay!), Aura/Artifact Mutation, Lim-Dul's Vault, Diabolic Vision, Eladamri's Call, Hero's Reunion, Surge of Strength

B

BigBlue

Thank heaven for that.... Train doesn't need that many gaea's blessings... :D Didn't we have this discussion during our Team Game with Azreal... When I was concerned with it as an Instant, but was informed otherwise?

Fork.... very nice...

Accelerated Growth +2/+2 and a card... Not the most broken thing, but getting the extra card every turn with the miniature GG seems pretty cool to me.

Reclaim.... That'd be useful...

T

train

Guess I'll have to go with Abeyance then...

or...

WORD OF COMMAND!!!...

"Goin' old school beats!!!..."

I'll find something... don't worry...

;) I just have to wait until I can get to my crystalkeep...:rolleyes:

B

BigBlue

I think in this example... Reclaim is an acceptable alternative to the blessing... Although the Shuffle is pretty helpful if needed.

What is the global killer that leaves Artifacts? Disk leaves lands, Jokulhaups leaves Enchantments.... Isn't there one which leaves Artifacts?

M

Mikeymike

I don't think there is BigBlue. Wildfire is the closest there is, but that leaves Enchantments as well.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Is Word of Command fairly cheap or easy to get? I mean, it looks like it was only in through Unlimited, so how many people here have it (aside from the obvious who mentioned it)?

T

train

You can get words for 15-30, depending on the seller...

Saw one traded straight over for an exalted angel this last spring...

Maybe you can find a deal like that...

All I know is that it's a dang awesome card...

:eek: :cool:

R

Rooser

I put my votes in for Fire/Ice, Memory Lapse, Orim's Chant, and Boomerang IF you get it on turn two, cuz then you landlock and it's stupid cheese.

My Dark Horse: Dream's Grip. You can play Entwine costs when you Scepter them, so you can spend 3 to tap a permanent and untap the scepter, allowing you to do it again. Admittedly only worth it in T2.

Also, Krosan Reclamation is the way to go if you want to abuse Psychogenic prpbe and you don't want to run Soldier of Fortune.

Also, Snap and Reset can almost be infinite mana combos, if only there was a reliable way to keep untapping the Scepter.

B

BigBlue

Wouldn't Stifle be pretty cool?

It seems that 4 aren't enough in a deck... :D

G

GauntletKing

I'm going to try it with brain freeze. 3 every turn, 6 or more on a few turns adds up. Plus, it's more likely to go undervalued as a target.

They're sure to hit the guy who imprinted chant first.;)

M

mythosx

How about vision charm? or any charm for that matter. Vision charm just makes it an overpowered millstone.