Bane of the Living

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by kinghink, Feb 9, 2003.

1. kinghink New Member

Got a question... Bane of the Living's morph cost, it says that creatures get -X/-X until end of turn. A friend of mine claims that even after the morph has taken place, any creature that comes into play on that same turn will receive the "bonus". I tend to think he's a bit... off. What is the deal?

Thanks.

Mark
  2. train The Wildcard!!!...

I'll give you a similar explanation to what Elaine Chase(Lvl 3 judge) gave me when I asked a similar question before I brushed up on my rules...

It's like a group of goblins walking near a cliff when all of a sudden a rock slide comes crashing down wounding all of them... moments later Centaur John comes walking by and says "Man, am I glad I wasn't here for that..."

From the Comp. rules...

418.3b Continuous effects from spells, activated abilities, and triggered abilities that modify the characteristics or change the controller of one or more cards and/or permanents don’t affect cards and/or permanents that weren’t affected when the continuous effect began.
    Example: An effect that reads “All white creatures get +1/+1 until end of turn” gives the bonus to all permanents that are white creatures when the spell or ability resolves—even if they change color later—and doesn’t affect those that come into play or turn white afterward.
  3. kinghink New Member

The card says "all creatures" and not necessarily "all creatures in play" and that's where the discrepancy takes place.

If card text is cutting back on this, then I understand, but the way he interprets it is that because it doesn't say "until end of turn", a Penumbra Wurm that gets a -6/-6 hammering, it's token will die also, because it doesn't specifiy "until end of turn".

Does this make a difference?

Mark

PS. Thanks for the response, as that was my argument, but he was adamant that the bonus is an effect that holds true to all creatures until end of turn.
  4. train The Wildcard!!!...

The reason I got this response to my question was because I was thinking of Mutilate... and how it would affect the anurid brushhopper if it left the game and came back at End Of Turn...

But it works as said above... the ability or effect only affects those permanents that were in play at the time it resolved...

So a penumbra token from a wurm dying will not be affected...

If I'm not mistaken - and It may be worth the call - WOTC has a Rules hotline you can call, and have a judge straighten your friend out that way...;)
  5. EricBess Active Member

You are not mistaken, train. That is exactly correct.
  6. train The Wildcard!!!...

I remembered the hotline - that was how we used to settle things when Hatter wasn't around...