Band/Banding

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by reco5151216, Jun 12, 2006.

1. reco5151216 The Mehful One

Okay I was looking through some cards on the internet and then mentioned Banding, now I've looked through atleast 3 rule books and can;t find it anywhere...So what in the world does Banding mean?

Card reference: Adventurers’ Guildhouse
  2. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Whew. This is a messed up one. The most messed up part is that "bands with..." has almost nothing in commong with regular "banding." The good news is that "bands with..." sucks so much that no one uses it.

I could post my own explanation of banding, but I'm lazy, and you'd still have questions anyway. So I'll just copy and paste from CrystalKeep and let you sort through it, then ask any questions you might have...

502.10 - Banding

* 502.10a - Banding is a static ability that modifies the rules for declaring attackers and assigning combat damage. [CompRules 2003/07/01]
    * 502.10b - As a player declares attackers, he or she may declare that any number of those creatures with banding, and up to one of those creatures without banding, are all in a "band." (Defending players can't declare bands but may use banding in a different way; see Rule 502.10h.) [CompRules 2003/07/01]
    * 502.10c - A player may declare as many attacking bands as he or she wants, but each creature may be a member of only one of them. [CompRules 2003/07/01]
    * 502.10d - Once an attacking band has been announced, it lasts for the rest of combat, even if something later removes the banding ability from one or more creatures. However, creatures in a band that are removed from combat are also removed from the band. [CompRules 2003/07/01]
    * 502.10e - If an attacking creature becomes blocked by a creature, each other creature in the same band as the attacking creature becomes blocked by that same blocking creature. [CompRules 2003/07/01]
    Example: A player attacks with a band consisting of a creature with flying and a creature with swampwalk. The defending player, who controls a Swamp, can block the flying creature if able. If he or she does, then the creature with swampwalk will also become blocked by the blocking creature(s). [CompRules 2003/10/01]
    * 502.10f - Banding doesn't cause attacking creatures to share abilities, nor does it remove any abilities. The attacking creatures in a band are separate permanents. [CompRules 2003/07/01]
    * 502.10g - If one member of a band would become blocked due to an effect, the entire band becomes blocked. [CompRules 2003/07/01]
    * 502.10h - A player who controls an attacking creature with banding chooses how combat damage is assigned by creatures blocking that creature. A player who controls a blocking creature with banding chooses how combat damage is assigned by creatures it blocks. If the creature had banding when it attacked or blocked but the ability was removed before the combat damage step, damage is assigned normally. [CompRules 2005/08/01]
    * 502.10i - Multiple instances of banding on the same creature are redundant. [CompRules 2003/07/01]
    * 502.10.Ruling.1 - If a creature dies before damage is assigned, it does not count toward determining who assigns combat damage as per Rule 502.10h. If it dies after damage is assigned, but before it is dealt, the damage is still distributed as assigned. [D'Angelo 2003/09/08]
    * 502.10.Ruling.2 - Effects that change how damage can be assigned or that offer other options for damage assignment do fall under the "damage sharing" rule (Rule 502.10h). For example, the Thorn Elemental or Butcher Orgg choices would be made by the defending player if banding is present in the blockers. [Jordan 2003/05/19]
    * Note - Also see Rule G2.1, "Banding".

502.11 - Bands with Other

* 502.11a - Bands with other is a special form of banding. If an effect causes a permanent to lose banding, the permanent loses all bands with other abilities as well. [CompRules 2003/07/01]
    * 502.11b - An attacking creature with "bands with other [creature type]" can form an attacking band with other creatures that have the same "bands with other [creature type]" ability. Creatures with banding can also join this band, but creatures without banding can't. The creatures in this band don't have to have the creature type specified in the "bands with other [creature type]" ability. Blocking this band follows the same general rules as for banding. [CompRules 2003/07/01]
    * 502.11c - If an attacking creature is blocked by at least two creatures with the same "bands with other [creature type]" ability, the defending player chooses how the attacking creature's damage is assigned. Similarly, if a blocking creature blocks at least two attacking creatures with the same "bands with other [creature type]" ability, the attacking player chooses how the blocking creature's damage is assigned. [CompRules 2003/07/01]
    * 502.11d - Multiple instances of bands with other of the same type on the same creature are redundant. [CompRules 2003/07/01]

Oh, and Adventurers' Guildhouse and the four other lands just like it are among the worst cards ever printed. I only even remember one of them (Adventurers' Guildhouse) because one of my friends had a signed copy of it and the card was a big joke in one of my playgroups (I guess you had to be there). The only other time I see those lands mentioned is on lists of "the worst cards ever printed" (Wood Elemental still gets my vote, though). So where did you see Adventurers' Guildhouse? Were you looking through some very old cards?
  3. reco5151216 The Mehful One

That does seem sucky...but I think I see how it could be useful. Tell me if this assumtion is right.

Okay I have token creature with 1/1 and another token creature with 5/5. And they have ability to band with each other. Either token creature is blocked(Or would it be that the whole band was blocked?) I can assign all the damage to that one blocker instead of that one blocker taking just 1 or just 5 damage.....Am I right in this assumtion?

And I just saw the card in a group auction on ebay...looked it up and wasn't able to find what band and banding was.
  4. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Yes, assuming that you specified that they're banding with each other when they attack (because they can attack separately without using their banding ability - it's not automatic).

If you say "Token A is banding with Token B and are attacking together" and the group is blocked, you get to determine how the damage is dealt to your band as opposed to your opponent deciding (which is what happens normally).
  5. Oversoul The Tentacled One

The damage distribution thing works when attacking and when blocking. You can attack with your 5/5 and your 1/1 as a band, and if your opponent wants to block either creature, he must block the entire band. And if your opponent attacks with a 6/6 creature, you can block with both the 5/5 and the 1/1 and throw the damage from the attacker onto the 1/1, so that you still keep a creature and the attacker dies.
  6. EricBess Active Member

And just to be clear, it only takes 1 creature of your opponent's to block the entire band. And if he can legally block any one creature, then he can block.

For example, if a creature with flying is banding to attack with a non-flying creature with fear. My opponent can block with any black creature (flying or not) or any flying creature.
  7. reco5151216 The Mehful One

Yeah okay I got it now, thanks guys.