B/G Type 2 - Bringing it to States

M

Mikeymike

I figure I might as well get my butt kicked at States this year, its only a 30 minute drive from my house. Ought to be interesting at the least.

Yes its another Verdant Succession deck, this one is pretty fast though. Based on Dave Chapman's deck from Magic Campus (I think)

4 Penumbra Wurm
4 Rooting Kavu
4 Thorn Elemental
4 Spiritmonger

4 Elvish Piper
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Llanowar Elves

4 Verdant Succession
4 P. Deed (or Phyrexian Altar but I like this better)

4 L.Wastes
15 Forest
5 Swamp

SB:
Tsabo Decree
Spellbane Centaur
Druid Lyrist
Engineered Plague
Tangle
???

----------
Here is Chapman's original deck
2 Uktabi Wildcats
4 Penumbra Wurm
4 Rooting Kavu
4 Thorn Elemental
4 Gorilla Titan

4 Elvish Piper

4 Birds of Paradise
4 Llanowar Elves

4 Verdant Succession
2 Phyrexian Altar

24 Forest

Reason's I made the changes I did:
Cut
2 Uktabi Wildcats - They are too slow for the build, and its not worth saccing the forests for their regeneraton
4 Gorilla Titan - They trick out with the Rooting Kavu to become 8/8's but its too easy to disrupt a trick that isn't all the powerful anyway. They are simply a 4/4 trampler about 80% of the time.
2 Phyrexian Altar - They can make the combo happen, and quickly. But 2 isn't enough and without the Succession they are worthless. The threat of a instant win doesn't warrant their inclusion in the deck.

Added
4 Spiritmoner - His mana cost will never be a problem, plus I can trick him out. He is black and can block Finkel, he changes color to get around the Lynx, etc. He's better than both the Wildcats and the Titan, even w/o trample.
4 P.Deed - Not only does this deck need a maindeck way to handle other threats, but this works very nicely in here. The key cards in this deck are either very expensive, regenerate, leave a token behind, or I want them to die anyway (Kavu). Plus w/ a Succession out even my little guys come back into play. Its an amazing card that isn't being played in type 2, but really deserves to be.

---------------

Thoughts of the deck? My biggest question is what about the sideboard, what am I missing?

Thanks in advance

Mike