Attack Phase Trickery

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Killer Joe, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Killer Joe Active Member

I have THIS creature in play; I announce my attack phase but declare no attack, is this possible?

A "person" at the MML last month tried saying it was.

The idea was so that this player would have a blocker during their opponent's turn.
  2. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Assuming there's nothing else preventing the creature from attacking (like Pacifism or something), the creature has to attack because he's "able". If you need him as a blocker, use an untap effect :)
  3. turgy22 Nothing Special

The card's pretty clear. It attacks each turn if possible, not "attacks each turn in which an attack is declared." There's no trickery involved there, just an ignorance of the rules.

Side question: If you attacked with them and played the effect from Aggravated Assault, would they be forced to attack again?
  4. Oversoul The Tentacled One

I'm checking the Comprehensive Rules to see if I can find anything more up-to-date. Crystal Keep does list a ruling on Relentless Assault that creatures that are required to attack each turn if able are not required to attack if they've already attacked for that turn, but Crystal Keep seriously cites The Duelist on this one. The combat phase has been almost completely reworked since those days, but I suspect that the ruling is still basically correct...

Edit: I'd been unable to find rulings on Gatherer in the past for some cards (I don't remember the details) and so I'd first gone to Crystalkeep, but Gatherer does have a ruling on Relentless Assault too. It has the exact same wording as the old ruling on Crystal Keep, but is dated to 2004. Still old, but presumably Gatherer rulings are more regulated to maintain accuracy...

Oddly enough, this note only seems to appear on Relentless Assault, and not any of its more recent kin, so if you'd looked at Aggravated Assault, you wouldn't have found any mention of creatures that must attack each turn if able.
  5. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Crystalkeep uses/used Oracle as their source, as does Gatherer, so it's no surprise that they have the same ruling from the same date.

A look at the Berserker card reveals the answer :)

6. Oversoul The Tentacled One

They do not. Crystal Keep has an undated ruling with a reference to issue #17 of The Duelist. Crystal Keep is old. D'Angelo, especially back before he was updating the rulings on a volunteer basis, generally bothered to actually note where the rulings on Crystal Keep came from. Only a minority of the rulings on Crystal Keep cite Oracle.

Gatherer is the more up-to-date resource anyway. Because their ruling on Relentless Assault is dated to 2004, I'd assume that it is an Oracle ruling, but unfortunately unlike Crystal Keep, Gatherer doesn't provide sources for rulings, just dates, with older rulings generally not citing Oracle. Some of them use The Duelist, some use "CompRules" (the Comprehensive Rules, I assume), some use WotC Rules Team, some use official FAQs from the releases of newer sets, and some of them use the names of individual network representatives for WotC.
  7. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Sorry. Here's my statement corrected:

Crystalkeep uses/used Oracle as one of their sources, as does Gatherer, so it's no surprise that they have the same ruling from the same date for this particular case
  8. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Maybe the background comments in my previous post are distracting. I'll summarize.

Relentless Assault
    • Crystal Keep cites an issue of a defunct magazine, which used to issue official rulings for Magic. There is no date.
    • Gatherer doesn't cite anything, but does include a date. That date is much later than the end of the publication of the magazine cited in Crystal Keep's ruling. The source must necessarily be different. The wording is still the same.
    Juggernaut
    • Crystal Keep doesn't include a ruling for multiple attack phases in the same turn.
    • Gatherer has a ruling dated to after the last time Crystal Keep updated their rulings (2009) that covers this case.
    Aggravated Assault
    • Nothing on either site for this case.
  9. Killer Joe Active Member

Thanks GUYS!