"Atonement" Spoiler: Fireball of the Ages

W

WickedBoy6

This was the first ever Magic card I created, so it holds a special place for me.

Fireball of the Ages - 6RR - Rare
Creature - Elemental Legend
Trample, Upkeep: 3R
1: +0/+1 until end of turn.
R: +1/+0 until end of turn.
8/6

When it was first created, it was uncommon, not a Legend, and did not have trample. Also, it cost 6RRRR & the upkeep was 3RR. I felt it was too weak, so I added Trample. IT remained unchanged for a long time until recently, when I recieved lots of negative feedback from it's casting cost.

I then changed it to 6RR/3R, shuffled it into Rare (as a lot of cards are in "Atonement"), & made it a Legend. I think it's a bit overpowered, but you be the judge.

(I had actually made the card in Paint, but due to bad hosting, I cannot show it here)

F

FoundationOfRancor

I agree with you.

When you compare this to Rootbreaker Wurm, which is green - the color of creatures, you can see this is way to overpowered. Of course, Rootbreaker Wurm sucked, and this does have an upkeep. But does that justify a +2/0, trampiling, firebreathing monster? If you really want to make this card, I would spin it like this:

Fireball of the Ages
6R
During your upkeep, pay 1RR. If you dont, sacrifice ~this~
Trample
R: ~this~ gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
3/6

I think its a really bad idea to use rarity as a balance factor.

W

WickedBoy6

Fireball of the Ages - 6R
During your upkeep, pay 2R or sacrifice Fireball of the Ages.
Trample
R: Fireball of the Ages gains +1/+0 until end of turn.
3/6

This seems a bit more balanced. Credit goes to FoundationOfRancor for helping me balance FotA.

T

train

Every card is broken... usually because they're torn in half after making someone mad... but they're all broken!...