Asking for Questions...

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by train, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

Oh well, I had it figured out five minutes after I posted that, but decided to keep it posted.

Its a nifty trick which I'm going to try on people at FNM.
  2. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Hey, good luck this Saturday, train!
  3. train The Wildcard!!!...

Thanks!...

Hopefully the next time(besides today) I see you on the boards I'll be certified...

"judge, certified judge, not insane... I already got my certificate for that...":p
  4. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

The children don't believe me and want me to submit this one:

If the new Urza's Armor is rare, then the old uncommon ones are not rare, and thusly, worth less than the new rare version. Correct?

I told them that the new one is considered rare, so, by the rules, the newest version of the card is the correct wording for the rest. As well as rarity.
  5. train The Wildcard!!!...

Rarity wouldn't quite work that way Nightstalkers... As the rarity of a card has no real bearing on the rules of the card...

Rarity is more of the trading, or collectable aspect...

but if it helps any - I trade old Serras, Sengirs, and Clones as rares...;)
  6. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Are we looking at the new level 1 judge in Texas?
  7. train The Wildcard!!!...

I'd like to mention that I'm now a certified judge(paperwork's headed to WoTC)... Level 1 - though I scored high enough for Level 2... ;) :D

That's all... :D :cool:
  8. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

I moved it over here as it's that forum is usually for discussing "problems" in Magic and CPA...
  9. EricBess Active Member

Congratulations my friend. I was pretty confident on your behalf that you would do fine.
  10. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

11. train The Wildcard!!!...

Thanks Everyone!!!...

Bold is what I would say, and the rule I'd show them. It's the best I can do for a 1st grade explanation...

306. Combat Phase

306.1. The combat phase has five steps, which proceed in order: beginning of combat, declare attackers, declare blockers, combat damage, and end of combat.

The step we're delaing with is Combat Damage:

310. Combat Damage Step

310.1. As the combat damage step begins, the active player announces how each attacking creature will assign its combat damage. Then the defending player announces how each blocking creature will assign its combat damage. All assignments of combat damage go on the stack as a single object. Then, any abilities that triggered on damage being assigned go on the stack. (See rule 410, “Handling Triggered Abilities.”) Then the active player gets priority and players may play spells and abilities.

Each player says how damage will be dealt, then "how the damage will be dealt" goes on the stack. This separates the damage from the creature. Then the attacking player may play spells and abilities...

310.4. Combat damage resolves as though it were an object on the stack. When it resolves, it’s all dealt at once, as originally assigned. After combat damage finishes resolving, the active player gets priority.

Then, "damage" is dealt the way we "said it would be dealt", and since the damage is separate from the creature now, it doesn't matter if the creature is gone.

310.4a Combat damage is dealt as it was originally assigned even if the creature dealing damage is no longer in play, its power has changed, or the creature receiving damage has left combat.
  12. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

If they "don't go by the rules", trying to explain something to them is like hitting your head against the wall... I'd pretty much stop playing with them, if that's an option.
  13. train The Wildcard!!!...

That's always an issue...

How are they "used" to playing...;)

Best bet is to be the one in your area that gets with the owner of the shop and then begins developing and implementing the "rules"...

Works for me everywhere I've been...

Owner of the local is even reimbursing me for gas/mileage, just for getting certified...

I may even start running tourneys for 3 different places here locally...

Now we need to head for that premier tourney organizer status... and we'll be having some major fun!!!...
  14. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

Speaking of fun, did you get a stack of Rukh Egg promo's?

I don't like playing with kids who don't like using a tried and true set of rules. but then again, I play my biggie deck by mana drop with them and they just go glassy eyed.
  15. train The Wildcard!!!...

I got couple stacks of Rukh Egg promos...

"But they had to be given out...":rolleyes:
  16. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

Darn... I missed the release because the nearest one was 12 miles away.

And I'm not going to rush putting together an electric car just to get across town.