Artificial Evolution

N

NorrYtt

Artificial Evolution U
Instant R
Change the text of target spell or permanent by replacing all instances of one creature type with another. The new creature type can’t be Legend or Wall. (This effect doesn’t end at end of turn.)

Greg Staples 67/350

Let's see. This card has combos, combos, combos!

• Unnatural Selection - I'll change 'Wall' to 'Penguin'. Now I can make your creatures Walls for 1 mana AND pull the Legend trick. Disgusting.
  • Tsabo Tavoc - now has protection from 'Elves' and kills 'Elves'. Thanks for playing.
  • Kangee, Aerial Keeper - I'll change 'Legend' to 'Bird'. Now Kangee comes into play with X +1/+1 counters and pumps all my birds +X/+X. I can also drop the other Kangee I have in hand.
  • (opposing) Goblin King - now all 'Wizards' have +1/+1 and all 'Wizards' have mountainwalk. Alpha Strike!
  • Tribal Cards in Onslaught - too many to mention.

More?

J

Jigglypuff

How about Shoreline Raider and Coastal Drake?

(- Steve -)

M

Mikeymike

Empress Galina
Mobilization (think Wizard)
Captain Sisay
Suleiman's Legacy (which is quite nice with Unnatural Selection too)

So did Unnatural Selection go up in value or what?

J

Jigglypuff

Huh? Counterspell? Well, I guess you can target a Counterspell with Artificial Evolution, but you can't change any creature types because there are none on the card.

And no, you cannot choose "Counter", "target", or "spell" for your creature type because they all have another meaning in Magic.

Huh? Coat of Arms? Well, actually, no, that wouldn't do very much.

(- Steve -)

T

train

I meant countering the Artificial Evolution before it ever was able to do any harm...

K

Killerbob

I dont think you can change Kangee from Legend to Bird. You can change a word in the textbox, not the characteristics of a card.
Nice comboes -but I like Tsabo Tavoc better as Dragon slayer!
:D

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Originally posted by NorrYtt
Artificial Evolution U
Instant R
Change the text of target spell or permanent by replacing all instances of one creature type with another. The new creature type can’t be Legend or Wall. (This effect doesn’t end at end of turn.)

Greg Staples 67/350

Kangee, Aerial Keeper
- I'll change 'Legend' to 'Bird'. Now Kangee comes into play with X +1/+1 counters and pumps all my birds +X/+X. I can also drop the other Kangee I have in hand.
[/B]
Sadly this doesn't work, because the other Kangee is still a Legend, checks for any Kangees in play, sees one, and SPLATs out of the sky (this is assuming you can even change creature types with the card). You can still pump it though.

Why don't we all saunter over to the FAQ?

L

Lotus Mox

Originally posted by Thallid Ice Cream Man
Sadly this doesn't work, because the other Kangee is still a Legend, checks for any Kangees in play, sees one, and SPLATs out of the sky (this is assuming you can even change creature types with the card). You can still pump it though.

Why don't we all saunter over to the FAQ?
It does work:

420.5e If two or more Legends or legendary permanents with the same name are in play, all
except the one that has been a Legend or legendary permanent with that name the longest
are put into their owners' graveyards. This is called 'the Legend rule.' In the event of a tie,
each Legend or legendary permanent with the same name is put into its owner's
graveyard. (If two permanents have the same name but only one is a Legend or is
legendary, this rule doesn't apply.)

I don't think this is a great combo though :)

edit: and yes, you can change creature types with artificial evolution.

From the Onslaught FAQ:

* In this context, "the text" refers only to text in the card's text box and on the card's type line. It won't change parts of a card name, even if the name appears in the card's text box. For example, suppose you play Artificial Evolution targeting a spell named Embermage Goblin, changing all instances of "Goblin" to "Zombie." The affected creature's type line will read, "Creature -- Zombie Wizard," but its name will still be "Embermage Goblin" everywhere its name is used on the card.

K

Killerbob

Ok. This is a very strange ruling. Like so many times before...:rolleyes:

N

NorrYtt

I was pretty sure that the Kangee to Bird, drop a Kangee trick worked because I read some guy's tourney report and that's how he won.

He had Unnatural Selection in play and a Kangee w/ 4 feather counters or so. He changed Kangee to a Bird (6/6), then dropped another Kangee for 6 and swung with a 12/12 Kangee Bird. :D

T

train

Man - That would sound bad if I didn't know someone that had won with carrier pigeons and pyknites...:rolleyes:

T

theorgg

Nightstalker: Actually, it also changes the creature type. Why?

Well, I guess nothing had a card or creature type of Forest, Mountain, Island, Plains, Swamp, Black, White, Blue, Red or Green before.

If they had, I guess the Hack/Slight stuff would've worked on them the same way.

And Train: You can't knock Carrier Pigeons. They cost the same as an activation of Jaemdae Tomb, and who really cares about a 1/1 flyer... until they've been pecked for twelve with them?

T

train

I'm not knocking them... The Mad Hatter ran a deck based on them at regionals and went 3-3... Needless to say It just seems to be so bad when you're beat down by Carrier Pigeons and Pyknites...

For some reason being beat down by goblins and elves is acceptable, but Pigeons and Pyknites seems a little insane... Thus, Hatter was running the deck - His name is Mad for a reason...:p