artifact ?

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by space ranger, Oct 13, 2003.

1. space ranger New Member

Just wandering if you can tap an artifact and shut off it's abilitys. I think in the past you could so I was just wandering if the rules have changed on that issue?

thanks
  2. Hetemti The Wide-Awake Nightmare

Artifats retain their abilities when tapped unless otherwise specified.

Howling Mine, Winter Orb, and a couple others have been reworded such that they are disabled when tapped. However, all but this handful remain active when tapped.
  3. space ranger New Member

thanks.

Would have been nice to shut down some of these new artifacts.
  4. Hetemti The Wide-Awake Nightmare

We're just one set into Mirrodin block...they might have big plans.

I remember everyone wondering about Meltdown being reprinted...it could still be...I'd put it in the middle set if I were running the show. Speaking of middle sets and Saga block...where's Viashino Heretic? ^^
  5. train The Wildcard!!!...

Damping Matrix...;)

"Activated abilities of artifacts and creatures can't be played unless they're mana abilities."

This is a good stop for them - stops equipment, and anything that has a colon on it...

From Ask Wizards...
    Q: "I have always wondered what determines whether you use a comma or a colon when separating an activation cost with the resulting ability. An example would be 'sacrifice this, to do that' or 'pay this: to do that.' Any clarification would be appreciated."
    --Chris Davison, Ohio State University

A: From Del Laugel, senior Magic editor:
    "Every activated ability has a colon :)) separating its cost from its effect, and colons aren't used in Magic rules text for anything other than activated abilities. The colon is the one punctuation mark that has a rules meaning in the Magic game. (Of course, activated abilities aren't the only abilities that can have costs associated with them, but more on that later.)
  6. BigBlue Magic Jones

Why did they stop short of Mana Abilities?

They are sooooo concerned about how the game is too fast in type 1, they should have printed something to slow down the restricted stuff even more. How about a Global Titania's song? :D

The Comma should have a "magic rules definition as well"... It should mean "AND"... in other words .... foo,bar:effect means you must pay foo AND bar to activate effect, and you can't pay foo or bar independently.
  7. train The Wildcard!!!...

good point...

if the question was about costs - they might have had somehting more like that...
  8. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

Type 1 is not too fast...

Its a little slow when I have to kill you on turn 4, but thats just a bad day... :rolleyes: