Article ideas...

D

Dune Echo

This basically is for everyone out there. I was looking through some old cards the other day and I ran across the almighty Pheldagrif. I couldn't help but sit there and think (as I did when I first saw this card), "Why the hell is this considered to be so powerful?" So, I figured there's lots of cards out there that people can't see as having any uses whatsoever.

Here's my article idea. Post a card you would like me to examine, I'll see if it can be put into a viable deck. I don't care if it's a Homelands card. Just give me a challenge here. Post away! Just don't ask me how to use Saprazzan Raider. There is absolutely no way to make that even into a halfway decent card without a million combos that just aren't viable anywhere.

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
And nobody request Anthroplasm. I already talked to Dune about that.
The next big thing: Tide-Plasm.

Anyway, how about Trade Caravan?

-mike

D

Dune Echo

There's a few viable options there. Not much, but I work with that one, Mike.
Give me a while to work on it. (I'm currently working on my college admissions essay too!)

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
C'mon Dune. The CPA is much more important than college. We need 4 articles a week from you. This is a life or-- ah, screw it. You know I'm just kidding. Take as long as you want. Although that is a pretty cool idea for a (weekly/whateverly) column.

-mike
I have WAY too many posts on this board

Z

Zadok001

Pheldagriff RULES! I love that card! I don't have any (
), but I love the way it works. Easily one of the top 5 best casual cards of all time.

Oh, and Dune? I'd like to see a deck based around, say, Death Spark (another one of the top 5...). Or those really funny flailing creatures from MM.
Good luck!

--Zadok001, aka Greater Good fanatic

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
I love Pheldagriff! I managed to pick up one from my friend along with some other things, but I traded a Cursed Scroll. Oh well, never used it anyway.

Anyway, I talked to Dune and he mentioned he had come up with an idea for Trade Caravan... Drum Roll Please!!

Winter Orb. Wow, that does work together pretty well!

-mike

D

Dune Echo

Actually, I'm going to include Death Spark in the "Winter Caravans" deck. I'll write it up here soon. I actually have lots of ideas here. I am thinking that maybe Mana Flare would work as well based on the idea that if you have more resources than your opponent each turn, Mana Flare won't help them as much. This is what I've gathered so far...

"Winter Caravan"
White:
1 Kismet
4 Trade Caravan

Red:
4 Chain Lightning
4 Death Spark
4 Flailing Soldier
4 Mana Flare

Artifacts:
2 Fire Diamond
2 Marble Diamond
4 Winter Orb

Lands:
2 Lotus Vale
2 Undiscovered Paradise
2 Wasteland

So, that's what I've been thinking up lately. Anyone know of a way to untap a lot of your lands in red or white?

Z

Zadok001

Looks like a deck that could use a Stasis or two.
Trade Caravan and Stasis, now that I think about it, could be kinda fun. Pay upkeep, win with some random non-tapping creature. Cool.

--Zadok001, aka Greater Good fanatic
CPA Member
"We have more sprouts than they have hands."

D

Dune Echo

I was checking out the Deck Histories section on the Dojo yesterday and I checked out Mana Crypt (what a cool name). I never realized it, but do you realize just how strong a common card Mystic Remora is?! Those of you with old Ice Age cards, go look at it. When I first saw it, I thought, "Man, this sucks! Why is this a card? It has cumulative upkeep!" Then I saw it in the Deck Histories under a Mana Crypt deck and in the notes it was talking about how strong this card is. And man! In Type 1 or multiplayer, this card would rock! If only there was a way to keep this card in play without paying the upkeep. A combo off the top of my head is Opalessence and Lifeline. Of course, that's a hard combo in single player and fragile in multiplayer. But, dang, this card is great, why isn't anyone using this in Type 1? It's a killer first turn drop against any deck with Moxes, Lotuses, and anything else that goes off on the first turn. This is fabulous for Blue decks to get that vital Force of Will or two in the opening hand. Can anyone break this thing in Extended?

------------------
Dune Echo

Wondering when Ferret's blood pressure's gonna kill him

Ferret

Staff member
My blood pressure? It's actually quite low...but I digress.

I used to use Mystic Remora in a lot of my Blue decks. It was one of the best "draw-go" cards ever printed. If it weren't for the fact that WotC never reprints cards w/ concepts from expansions (like Phasing, Echo, Shadow, etc) it would make a great card to print in VIIth Edition...

-ferret

"...why don't they stop trying to create new weird concepts and just bring back old ones?"

C

ChasDen

Hello all,

Just popped in to see what’s new. As for the cards on the board with cumulative upkeep consider the highly under played Urza’s Saga Rare Umbilicus. During your upkeep you have to choose to either take 2 points of damage or return a permanent to your hand. Under the new rulings the ability is placed on the stack at the beginning of upkeep. If it (card with cumulative upkeep) leaves play before the ability resolves you can just decide not to pay the upkeep and nothing happens, because it is no longer in play for you to sacrifice it. Think of the possibilities. Un-tap, Upkeep – Put something back in your hand and play it again. Next turn repeat and so on. The beauty is while you want to do this, your opponent will be forced during their Upkeep to make the same choice. Either pay the 2 life or return a permanent each turn. Neat !!!

Have Fun
Life is too short

Chuck Dennewitz
The Magic Obsession

D

Dune Echo

Wow, Chuck! That's cool! I didn't see that one! Maybe we should have you write some articles for us! Ferret, want to work on a Draw-Go deck with me? There are a lot of possiblities.

------------------
Dune Echo

... Just kidding about the blood pressure, Ferret... Mystic Remora is going in every blue deck I play from now on! Unfortunately, I hate blue...

Ferret

Staff member
I know how you feel about Blue - I've always hated it - still, it'd be fun to work one out w/ you. Just email me some ideas and I'll try to put my 2¢ in.

I was thinking about putting together a Zur's Weirding multiplayer deck, but could use some ideas...

-Ferret

"...nice one, Chuck!"

T

theorgg

Ummmm... Ferret?

Have you seen Mercadian Masques? that's a set that [/b]did reprint some old concepts. you remember alliances, don't you? what about arabian nights? weatherlight?

the "new" macanics in Mercadian muscrats are just modified abilities from past expantions. before long, we may see a card that cycles for B(unless bandage now counts...).

just my thoughts...

-theorgg
I'm bigger than I think, I think.