Armadillo Cloak

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Zadok001, Oct 27, 2001.

1. Zadok001 CPA Founder, Greater Good

This question is aimed quite directly at Ericbess, since he was the one who explained that triggers don't have an order, per se. But I'm sure someone else can confirm this for me. :)

I contol an Orcish Artillery with an Armadillo Cloak on it. If I activate the Artillery, I will end up 2 life ahead of where I started after all triggers have resolved. The question is, when the Artillery's ability resolves, does it create one trigger or two? It deals damage to two separate places.

I believe it creates only a single trigger, since the damage is dealt simultaneously, similar to a Trample creature creating a single trigger after running over a blocking creature, but I'm not 100% sure.

Thoughts?
  2. EricBess Active Member

Armadillo Cloak
    ...Whenever enchanted creature deals damage, you gain that much life.

Orcish Artillery
    ...T: Orcish Artillery deals 2 damage to target creature or player and 3 damage to you.

Hmmm... Good question. I would have to rule that it was a single trigger for 5 life. This is based on the fact that a damage prevention "from a single source" would prevent both pieces of the damage.
  3. Thallid Ice Cream Man 21sT CeNTuRy sChIZoId MaN

It would make sense for it to be just one trigger, because it's just one instance of damage. The damage isn't dealt separately, so things that trigger on damage don't trigger separately.
    Of course, this isn't coming from a judge (Edit: Or from EricBess, for that matter), so it might not be true.
  4. EricBess Active Member

Well, that's not quite true, but the essence is correct. It really depends on specifically what the trigger is.

For example: Consider two hypothetical cards:

Whenever a creature is dealt damage, gain 1 life.

Whenever a creature deals damage, gain 1 life.

Now, you have a Thrashing Wumpus in play with 10 total creatures and you Wump once. How much life do you gain. The second card would trigger once because only 1 creature dealt damage. You would gain 1 life. However, the first card would trigger once for each creature taking damage and you would gain 10 life, dispite the fact that it is only one instance of damage.

But as far as a creature "dealing" damage, that would only happen once, as you state.
  5. Zadok001 CPA Founder, Greater Good

Hmm... So no definate solution yet. Well, just to muddle the waters a bit, let's rephrase Orcish Artillery to read:

T: Orcish Artillery deals 2 damage to target creature or player. Then Orcish Artillery deals 3 damage to you.

NOW what happens? :) (I think that makes it two triggers.)
  6. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

Armadillo Cloak will trigger once, and you will gain five life (assuming you had more than 3 when you activated Orcish Artillery).

You correctly understand your hypothetical version of Orcish Artillery. The "then" separates the effect into two events, each of which will trigger Armadillo Cloak.