Arguin with Friends about trample

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Neo_Keo, Apr 3, 2001.

1. Neo_Keo -=[I]=- []2ice |Voodles

He has a treefolk out thats like a 3/6
    I have Fires out
    I have a Shivan wurm and a flame tounge kavu in my hand. I Play the kavu to hit for 4 then then play Shivan wurm returning the kavu to my hand.

I attack and my opponent blocks with his 3/6 treefolk.

My question is how much damge do I deal the Creature

Is is 2 damge because I already managed to deal 4 damage from a kavu or is the whole 6 damage.

Also my friend is arguing to me that if Tangle Wire becomes tapp it's ability does not work. he bases this on the wording of Howling mine.

Can someone tell me if Wire is tapp its ability stays and the ruling for it?

Whew that was long
  2. terzarima New Member

You only have to assign lethal damage to the creature before assigning the rest to the player.

[502.9b]
    The controller of an attacking creature with trample first assigns damage to the creature(s) blocking it. If all those blocking creatures receive lethal damage, any remaining damage is assigned as its controller chooses among the blocking creatures and the defending player. The controller need not assign lethal damage to all blocking creatures but can't assign any damage to the defending player in this case.

Also damage is only removed during the cleanup step of the end phase.

[314.1b]
    Then, simultaneously, all damage is removed from permanents and all "until end of turn" and "this turn" effects end. This action doesn't go on the stack.

Does that answer your question?
  3. Gerode Becoming a Lurker Again

I believe the rule that artifacts had no effect when tapped was removed in 6th Edition.
  4. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

Re: trample

Trampling creatures need only assign lethal damage. Lethal damage would be the creature's toughness minus any damage already applied. In your example, the Wurm only has to assign 2 damage to the 3/6 (since the Flametongue already dealt 4 to it). The other 5 can be assigned to the opponent.

Re: Tangle Wire

If Tangle Wire's ability stopped when it became tapped, it would say so. That's why Howling Mine says so. That's like saying all creatures don't tap to attack, based on the wording of Serra Angel.