Arena - Vanguard

C

Chaos Turtle

All right, all. In two weeks, our local Arena League will start a new season, using what might be WotC's greatest gift to the casual player, Vanguard.

Now, here's what I'd like. Vanguard-Standard decks.

I intend to punish with Barrin-Enchantress and Gix-Bargain (but only once or twice, just to see the looks).

But:
I would like to see some really creative decks posted here. I will try out anything that looks like it will be a lot of fun to play, and which I have the cards to make.

I will report weekly, the results of the fun and games. Please help! ;)

T

theorgg

build a bargain deck.

use squee for your vanguard.

send me the set of vanguards that came second.

'nuf said.

A

asadoine

Sorry about the stupid question but what is a Standard "VANGUARD" deck, or tournament style ...

thnx
berto

C

Captain Caveman

This may be a silly suggestion because I
don't know if you can use any Vanguard card
but how about this:
[Before I suggest this, know that I am a
terrible deck builder and this decklist may
be horrible.]

MIRRI; each of your basic lands may be
tapped to produce any color of mana
instead of its normal type.

4 Birds of Paradise
4 Mother of Runes
4 Maro
4 Academy Rector

4 Counterspell
4 Armageddon
4 Duress
4 Shock
3 Disenchant
1 Yawgmoth's Bargain
1 Parallal Wave
1 Angelic Chorus
1 Rancor

18 Forest
3 Phyrexian Tower

???

C

Chaos Turtle

Holy Crap-

I could build a sick Replenish deck with Mirri, couldn't I?

Someone please post and explain Vanguard. I'm in the middle of mid-term exams and playing The Sims (f*ckin cool game) and have not slept 5 hours total in the last 3 days I am therefore delirious and unable to make sense Bye!

T

theorgg

First things first: replace the birds with... what am I saying? nevermind.

Use plains instead of forests, unless there's a common color hoser that effects plains...
If so, use somthing similarly unoffected...

for a replinish deck, try out the new saporling burst. beat down! I've read...

Vanguard is an oversized card that "leads" your deck into battle. It effects the deck's starting/max hand size and starting life. I don't know where you culd go to see them all, but I do know the first set was relesed in a gift box. I'm hoping that the sets after the first will be released simalarly, but I'm beginning to loose hope.

D

Dune Echo

Outside of the restrictions above, can you imagine just how dangerous a "9 Land Green" deck would be with a Mishra Vanguard card?

Hint: Mishra causes all dealt by your creatures to be doubled. OUCH!

D

Duel

I remember a vanguard card that gave all your guys a +x/+x for each forest you controlled. Green beatdown can wipe the floor with that vanguard in play. Plus, with land grant, skyshroud claim, yavimaya granger, the druid who you can sac to put two land into your hand. Hell, you don't even need to giant growth those 1/1's.

Volrath w/ fading/echo creatures and drawing capacity. Enough said.

Also, does hanna affect enchantments? If so, put that for your bargain deck, as out of place as it might seem.

D

Duel

I remember a vanguard card that gave all your guys a +x/+x for each forest you controlled. Green beatdown can wipe the floor with that vanguard in play. Plus, with land grant, skyshroud claim, yavimaya granger, the druid who you can sac to put two land into your hand. Hell, you don't even need to giant growth those 1/1's.

Volrath w/ fading/echo creatures and drawing capacity. Enough said.

Also, does hanna affect enchantments? If so, put that for your bargain deck, as out of place as it might seem.

And, as seen in our school: Counterspell w/ tawnos is COOL!