Are the weekends always this slow around here?

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
I don't think they're usually THIS slow, but yes. Since some people (Ferret) only have internet connections at work, they can't get on during the weekends.

-mike

B

Baron Sengir

Maybe they're all just mourning the death of Chewbacca like me. Life is so pointless now.

I remain
The Baron
They killed my childhood hero to 'shake up' the Star Wars universe. George Lucas, how could you?

[Edited by Baron Sengir (02-27-2000 at 12:43 AM).]

W

Wizard2000

Was wondering that myself earlier. It does seem slower on weekends. Guess everyone is out playing Magic :)

D

Duel

Nah, they're probably waiting for everyone else to stop playing magic and start writing stuff.

T

theorgg

Chewintobacca, DEAD?

when?

yea. it usually is slow on the weekends.

W

Wizard2000

I don't read Star Wars books myself, but nobody lives forever, not even Chewbacca. :)

You shouldn't take it so hard. I'm sure some other character will stand out as your new favorite.

A

arhar

I remember feeling the same way when they killed Tasselhoff in Dragons of Summer Flame... Ah.. after that, believe it or not, I haven't read ONE Dragonlance book. Oh well, hope he's having fun annoying Flint and Fizban.

Z

Zadok001

Oh, that Dragonlance thing SOOO pissed me off. He was the best freakin' character from book #1! :(

Well, I was away from any internet access of ANY kind all weekend, so I have a viable excuse. What about the rest of you? :)

D

Duel

I have about 12 viable excuses. None of them magic-related though.
By the way, R A Salvatore is writing Star Wars?!? Has the world gone mad?!? Anyways, I never read the star wars books (though I have read a good deal of R A Salvatore.
BTW, I know I'll get flamed for this, but I really was expecting all fuzzy things to die in Star Wars (you know, wookies in #2, those camel-things in #3, ewoks in #4, plot lines in #1). Well that's all, from the dark recesses of my mind.

[Edited by Duel (02-27-2000 at 11:38 PM).]

Z

Zadok001

Shouldn't that be, Wookies in 4, camel things in 5, and Ewoks in 6? And, of course, plot lines in 1.

"They weren't all THAT fuzzy to begin with...."

B

Baron Sengir

R A Salvatore's new Star Wars book Vector Prime. He dies saving Han's kid. It is reallllllly pissing me off. I am considering swearing off any new Star Wars stuff. This is a sad, sad day when a guy who's whole childhood revolved around Star Wars and a certain Wookie is considering turning his back on it for good.

I remain
The Baron
A shell of my former self

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I pretty much only have time to get here from work :) though I have internet access at home.

I haven't really kept up with the Dragonlance books; when was Dragons of Summer Flame (I guess book number). Was it part of that "new generation" where the kids are the heros now?

D

Dune Echo

Hey, Zadok: Are you fond of a certain, old crazy wizard? Then check out the Death Gate Cycle by Hickman and Weiss. Fizban shows up as Zifnab. You'll love the references between the books.

M

Mr_Pestilence

I actually got to play Magic Saturday and Sunday. First time for that in years.

As for Chewbacca, Lucas has said that what happens outside the movies is more or less an "alternate universe" that has no bearing on the "official history" from the movies. So, Chewy is still alive, somewhere.

[Edited by Mr_Pestilence (02-28-2000 at 10:34 AM).]

Z

Zadok001

Hell yes, I love Fizban! And I've read the first several books in Deathgate, they were quite good. I just never got around to the rest.

Actually, right now, I'm reading something called 'One of Us,' by Marshall Smith. It's really interesting, one of the few mysteries I've really enjoyed.

D

Duel

MOF, every book that Weiss and Hickman write together has fizban, or zifnab, or someone like him.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Mr. Pestilence: I thought Lucas (through LucasFilms, I guess) works with West End Games (and whoever has it now) to keep the Star Wars histories and futures straight. Or is that just histories? Or are novels different (although I think if you want to write about S.W. you still need license-okay).

M

Mr_Pestilence

Sorry, I don't know anymore about SW storylines than I've already said.

C

Chaos Turtle

Spiderman, you are correct. Since Heir to the Empire (maybe before that) continuity between the novels and movies has been important.
The Lucas statement referred mainly to the earlier novels (Han Solo at Star's End, Splinter of the mind's Eye etc.) I think.
You can e assured that Salvatore had Lucasfilm approval to let Chewbacca go. I haven't read the story itself, but I've read about it, and I have the impression that it was a noble and touching death well worthy of a hero like Chewbacca.

Now, if they'd only let the nigh-immortal, whiny-bastard Jedi-boy have a nice noble death, I think we'd all be a lot happier. ;)