Anyone walked into the Myst?

N

Nightstalkers

Has anyone played these great games other than me?

Right now I'm on Myst 4.

J

Jigglypuff

I played the first one for about 5 minutes before I got bored.

(- Steve -)

Killer Joe

Isn't it that video game where nothing happens unless you open doors and ask questions only to find out that there's a world wide plot to kill your brother or something like that?

B

BigBlue

I finished Myst & Riven.... they were alright.... interesting anyways....

The glamor of them was the world and the graphics... well ahead of their time...

N

Nightstalkers

Revalation is about the same as all the others... except more timing puzzles.

You get to go back to the beginning room of Exile and even see the scene of when Saavedro comes in and torches the place, beginning your journey through Exile.

Fond memories there...

But I have to say, the timing puzzles are a pain in the unholy backside.

Ferret

Staff member
Let's see...I remember Myst. It came out shortly after The 7th Guest. Both games were responsible for people running out and installing CD-Rom drives in their computers because they had insanely good graphcs that made you go "ooooooo!"

However, this is where the similarities ended. T7G was lots of fun to play. The characters in it were done so well, the puzzles were challenging, and the music was phenomenonal.

MYST was very pretty. It had a lot of clicking to get from place to place w/ not enough animations (a re-vamped version came out later w/ the free-form 3D stuff everyone wanted, but by then it was too late for me). My best friend enjoyed all of them, but in this regard he's a lot more patient than me. To be honest, the game must have been good to some people because it was the highest selling game of all time (that is, until everyone rushed out to buy The Sims and it's eight expansions).

I think my biggest problem w/ the MYST games is not the games themselves, but the attitude that an adventure game can be created w/ pretty pictures, nice sound, but very little in the way of plot or gameplay. The biggest culprit of this was Dreamcatcher (the publisher, not the game). They produced some of the prettiest pieces of crap I've ever seen on a computer - and just ike Kevin Costner films, I kept buying their product hoping for the best but losing about three hours of my life each time being bored out of my mind...

-Ferret

"Give me text only any day!"

N

Nightstalkers

A lot of people have problems mulling over the storylines... but the plot is pretty straightforeward, usually, from the beginning.

Gotta hate those organic puzzles though...