Answer to instant...

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by jcredberry, Jan 28, 2002.

1. jcredberry Gochan Warlord

Hi... During this weekend prerelease I had some (pretty big and nasty) argue about this situation... My opponent attacks and in response I played Beast Attack... He had to let it resolve before he can remove the token... I told him that by the time the token resolves we will be at the declare blockers step I and he couldn't play any instant until I have finished declaring blockers, therefor his creatures will be blocked... He told me that he can let the token resolve and make a new stack before I could declare blockers, therefor my blocker will be removed from combat...

Which one is the correct answer to this situation????

Thanks...
  2. terzarima New Member

Only when both players pass priority on an empty stack does the next step begin. So technically he could play a spell on an empty stack, although I don't see why... soceries and creatures can only be played during the main phases unless it says it could be played as an instant, in which case he could've played it in response....
  3. jcredberry Gochan Warlord

Beast Attack is an instant that puts a 4/4 Beast token in play... He tried to kill it after it resolves that means I played it and passed priority, he couldn't kill it in answer because the instant was not resolved, so he passed priority... The question is: can he use his removal instant before I can declare blockers but after the Elephant token has entered play???
  4. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

It was perfectly legal for your opponent to try to remove the Beast token before the declare blockers step.

After your Beast Attack resolves, you get priority. If you don't play anything, you must pass again to your opponent, who can then play spells/abilities.

Your opponent passing before you played Beast Attack does not deprive him of getting priority again after it resolves.

Both players must pass without any spells/abilities being played or resolveing in between, before the game moves to the next step.
  5. EricBess Active Member

One small correction to CT's post.

After you announce Beast Attack, you have priority. If you pass priority, your opponent gets priority. If he passes, Beast Attack resolves and there is a 4/4 creature in play.

After Beast Attack resolves, the active player gets priority. That's your opponent, not you (I don't get to correct you very often CT :)).

If your opponent passes priority, you again get priority. If you pass priority, then you move on to declare blockers. However, in this case, your opponent did not want to pass priority. He wanted to add a removal spell to the stack. That was perfectly legal.

By the time you can declare blockers, the Beast token is no longer in play.
  6. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

Ah, yes. Good point. It's always the active player who receives priority after a spell/ability resolves, then each other player in turn once the active player passes.