Another Sliver Question

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Troll, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Troll Dr. Satan

I am playing against a mono white deck and have out 4 random slivers, a Ward Sliver (set to white) and the sliver that gives all slivers Provoke. Can I provoke a white creature with my pro-white slivers?
  2. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

I don't see why not. Protection protects your slivers from white effects, it doesn't prevent them from sending out effects.
  3. Troll Dr. Satan

Here's what I think protection grants:
    1. damage fom chosen color is reduced to 0.
    2. creature cannot be targeted by chosen color.
    3. creatures of the chosen color cannot block it.

#3 is the one i am curious about.
  4. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

They're all correct but none of them apply here. If you're provoking your opponent's white creatures, then they have to attack you, which you can then block with your pro-white creatures (and get the damage reduced to 0).

The only way for it to be a concern is if you provoke your opponent's creature and it gets pro-white after the provoke but before Declare Blockers. In which case, you couldn't block it.
  5. BigBlue Magic Jones

The question is, can you provoke illegal blocks... And if so what is the effect of that...

If you give a creature with provoke shadow, or flying, or landwalk is it legal to have a nonshadow, creature unable to block fliers, or any creature block?

I think the answer to all of this lies in the Provoke ability -

502.29 - Provoke
    502.29a - Provoke is a triggered ability. "Provoke" means "Whenever this creature attacks, you may choose to have target creature defending player controls block this creature this combat if able. If you do, untap that creature." [CompRules 2003/07/01]
    502.29b - If a creature has multiple instances of provoke, each triggers separately. [CompRules 2003/07/01]
    502.29.Ruling.1 - You can choose a creature that is already untapped if you want to. [Legions FAQ 2003/01/23]
    502.29.Ruling.2 - If the chosen creature is unable to block for any reason (such as becoming tapped before blockers are assigned) there is no penalty. But if it can block this attacker, then it must. [Legions FAQ 2003/01/23]

The key phrase in there is "if able". So you can select a white creature, it will untap and will not block.
  6. rkoelsch Angel Boy

So the answer is you don't want to provoke their creatures because it gives them a free untap. Unless you want them untapped.
  7. BigBlue Magic Jones

Maybe he also has a lured basilisk... :D

Maybe he wants to untap a preacher... :D

If it were pro-Blue you might want to do the same with a Seasinger ...

There are a few times when you wouldn't care if they blocked the provker but were glad they untapped.
  8. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Sorry for confusing you.... I thought Provoke meant their creatures had to attack, not that they had to block your creatures...

So the direct answer to your question is yes, you can Provoke your opponent's white creature and it will untap but can't block, like BigBlue said.
  9. Troll Dr. Satan

Thanks everyone. I wasn't sure.:D :D...but now I know, and knowing is half the battle. GO JOE!!!
  10. BigBlue Magic Jones

Gee, and I was beginning to think "I" was the only one who remembered that line... :D

Glad to clear it up.
  11. EricBess Active Member

One thing to keep in mind is that you ALWAYS have to declare a target for the provoke ability. So, you select one of their white creatures as the target. When the Provoke ability resolves, you choose whether or not to untap the creature and, if you do, they must block if able.

As was mentioned previously, they would be unable to block, so the requriement would be met.