another one.

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by immortal grave walker, Mar 21, 2002.

1. If you have a spellbook in play,plus a creature that says your hand siz is reduced by x. Do you have to discard from your hand until you reach x,or does the spellbook over ride it. Hope you understand what I'm trying to ask?
    thanks IGW
  2. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Good question. The only example on Crystalkeep is when another card that specifies max hand size like Recycle is in play, then you apply them in time stamp order. But for something that reduces max hand size, I'm not sure. EricBess or Zadok?
  3. Elrond Veteran CPA Lurker

I'm not totally sure about this, but my understanding is that the Spellbook would override the creature's ability.

I'm basing this on the fact that the Spellbook says you have no maximum hand size, which can be seen as an infinite hand size and if you reduce infinity by x you're still left with infinity.
  4. Ransac CPA Trash Man

Elrond's right. The creature's reducing ability does nothing. Well, sorry. It reduces your endless hand size by X

Excuse me. I have to make a new deck now, heh-heh.

Ransac, cpa trash man
  5. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

The Thought Eater, Devourer, etc, reduce your nonexistent hand size by the appropriate amount. Of course, this has no noticable effect. In fact, Spellbook was used in early attempts to make the Thought creatures viable in constructed decks.
  6. With out spellbook, At what part of your turn is your hand reduced?
  7. Lotus Mox New Member

during your clean-up step (the last step of a turn) you have to discard cards from your hand until you reach your maximum hand size (which is seven, barring any other effects), damage is removed from your permanents, and until end of turn effects (like Giant Growth) wear off, in that order IIRC.

You can't play any spells during the clean-up step, but if anything triggers you go back to the end of turn step so you can play spells and abilities (e.g. if you discard a madness card you can play it when the madness trigger resolves)

Finally, you don't have to discard during an opponent's clean-up step :)
  8. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

Actually, if something triggers during the Clean-Up step, the active player gets priority after the trigger or triggers go on the stack. Once both players pass on an empty stack, you repeat the clean-up step from the beginning until nothing triggers.

Not quite the same thing as going back to the end step, which would create all sorts of confusion when EOT triggers went off again. ;)