Another crazy idea

What do you think of this card?

• I wouldn't wipe my...well, you know...with this piece of crap!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hey, this thing is pretty fair.

• Good lord, this thing is WAY too powerful.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I like pie.

• Total voters
I

Istanbul

Deny - U
Instant
Counter target spell cast by an opponent. The caster of that spell chooses a permenent. Return the chosen permanent to its owner's hand.

It's a one-mana Counterspell, with the proviso attached that your opponent gets to bounce your Island if you play it first turn. It only counters your opponent's spells so that you don't counter your own spell to get a cheap Boomerang.

Fair? Weak? Bah-roken?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It looks all right. Your opponent might even want to start bouncing his own stuff later in the game, if you play it then :)

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
It has it's downsides, but a 1cc counterspell is NEVER anything to overlook.

Ransac, cpa trash man

F

fuzzy510

As Ransac said, 1cc counterspells are never things to overlook. Good thinkin'.

J

Jake74

More options for blue mages!
This would be great to shut down 1st and 2nd turn kills... who cares if your island goes away, at least you're still alive.

I

Istanbul

Quite true. It does shut up irritating combos. It's also important to note that the bouncing doesn't target, making playing Deny with Morphling in play a dicey proposition at best.

Still...it's a 1-CC counterspell.

F

FoundationOfRancor

I think the non-targetability is what keeps the card from being broken. They can get rid of your huge monster, or bounce their blastoderm back.

F

fuzzy510

I never thought of that......this card isn't so hot against decks that heavily use fading.....

P

Prince RXI

HEY!!! I like it for that exact reason, bouncing back my blasties:D

And to answer your question, Fuzzy510, yes we look at the titles under the names sometimes :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;) :p :D

Prince RXI, happy to answer questions that mean nothing at all

I

Istanbul

Mana Dilution 1U
Enchantment
All lands that produce colorless mana instead produce 0.
Make up your mind, or it will be made up for you.

Diversity's Price 1GG
Enchantment
Spells cost an additional mana of each color of mana that lands their caster controls can produce. (If a spell's caster has an Island, a Mountain, and a Forest in play, that spell costs an additional UGR.)
The more you take from the world, the more it wants in return.
Thoughts?

F

FoundationOfRancor

Mana Dilution is weird, would it effect lands that can produce both colorless and colored, like painlands? If it does, then it's underpriced and probablly in the wrong color. If it just effects lands that can only produce colorless mana (Like DustBowl or Port), then its fine. Either way, I think it needs rewording.

Diversity's Price is interesting, but undercosted. Sphere of Resitance costs 2 mana and it just makes spells cost 1 more. I would price it at 3G or GGG.

I

Istanbul

Mana Dilution 1U
Enchantment
All lands that can only produce colorless mana instead produce 0.
Make up your mind, or it will be made up for you.

Diversity's Price 2GG
Enchantment
Spells cost an additional mana of each color of mana that lands their caster controls can produce. (If a spell's caster has an Island, a Mountain, and a Forest in play, that spell costs an additional UGR.)
The more you take from the world, the more it wants in return.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Do you really hate Domain that much?
Do you intend to get kicks out of making Coalition Victory (not that most domain decks use it anyway) cost 3WWUUUBBRRGGGG?
That card would absolutely never be printed. NEVER.

At least make it generic mana...

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by Thallid Ice Cream Man
Do you really hate Domain that much?
No.

Do you intend to get kicks out of making Coalition Victory (not that most domain decks use it anyway) cost 3WWUUUBBRRGGGG?
Clearly, you don't understand the card. Coalition Victory would cost 3WWUUBBRRGG, not what you said.

That card would absolutely never be printed. NEVER.
They said that about Spiritmonger.

At least make it generic mana...
Nope.

Understand that this card affects ALL decks. Mono-blue decks now pay U more for their spells. White/Green decks now pay WG more for their spells.
Domain decks now pay WUBRG more for their spells.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

...You're right about the Coalition Victory thing.

Still, the only reason Spiritmonger was printed was because some people in R&D were stupid enough to suggest such a contest as a Make your own creature contest, which would obviously elicit stupid responses (such as Spiritmonger).
Spiritmonger shouldn't have been printed. It's either insanely powerful or an average rare (read:unplayable), depending on your point of view (as has been stated in different words on several occasions). That's usually not a good mix, but it does happen a lot. But unfortunately, most people are of the first school of thought.
And what exactly does that have to do with anything? They said that a Black Lotus that produces five mana wouldn't be printed, either.

Yes, I overreacted. Yes, I know that the card affects all decks.

But, if it were printed right now, it would be used primarily as a sideboard card against multicolored strategies, and would at least decrease the use of Domain a fair amount; probably a lot. I know Domain isn't one of the best decks out there, but this would do it a serious blow.

I still think you should make it generic mana.

I

Istanbul

Making it generic mana really would remove the whole point of the card. You're also ignoring one other important fact about the card:

It's green.

Green has very little board control at all. It's the color of fast, diverse mana, and often the very color that enables five-color. Your opponent can Disenchant, Seal, Dismantle, Thunder, etc. it, and green can do precious little to stop him.

If it were blue, I'd agree. But green? Nah.

I

Istanbul

Suddenly, Rishadan Port produces no mana, City of Traitors isn't as good as you thought it was, and Kor Haven and Rath's Edge are decidedly weak cards.

F

FoundationOfRancor

You still havent answered the question!

Here, I'll ask it again.

Is it supposed to shutdown lands that produce both colorless and colored mana? I understand that Rishidan Port wouldnt be able to produce mana, but would Brushland be able to?

If it justs effects lands that can only produce colorless mana, than rewording is needed, and its probablly ok at 1U.

If it effects lands that can produce colorless mana AND colored mana, than it should cost 2U, at least.