Another 3 turn kill deck.. *sigh*

W

Wizard2000

I was reading around on the message boards and have found another 3 turn kill deck using :

Saproling Burst
Pandemonium
Replenish
Frantic Search

The idea is to use Frantic Search to get the pandemonium and saproling cards, discard them... then you use Replenish to put them into play. Once they are in play you use the tokens for 21 damage. *doink* you're dead.. again..

I am personally sick of seeing decks like this. Now this will be what we see in the tournaments for T2 and then T1.x when Urza rotates out. Bleh!!

D

DeathPitOffering

I'm just gonna play type 2 after US block rotates out. It seems like it'll be ALOT more fun!

W

Wizard2000

I plan to keep using Urza cards, but I won't make decks that run as fast as Trix and this new Pandaburst crap.

One thing we have to accept is that the card pool for Magic has gotten absolutely huge. As more and more cards are made people will find combos like these. Oh well. :)

C

Chaos Turtle

I have a feeling that we're never going to see this combo in a Standard (Type 2) tournament. Something about Pandemonium having already rotated out last Fall...

In Extended, so what? Like Panda-lescence is any better.

C

ChasDen

Although not an avid tournament player, I think graveyard decks are pretty much a thing of the past in most tournament environments, even extended. With cards like:

Planar Void B
Black Enchantment Uncomm. US

Whenever a card is put into a graveyard, remove that card from the game.

Eater of the Dead 4B
Black Summon Eater Uncomm. DK
3/4

(0): Take one creature from any graveyard and remove it from the game. Untap Eater of the Dead.

Tormod's Crypt 0
Artifact Uncomm. DK

(T): Sacrifice Tormod's Crypt to remove all cards in target player's graveyard from the game.

It’s way too easy to loose your key cards. Once removed from the game they are gone. I am sure there will be a few that pop up here and there but the time for graveyard play peaked.

In My Humble Opinion

D

Duel

I once met a guy who claimed that blue decks sucked, because of red elemental blast. It could take them all out!
Chuck, I'll say the same thing to you that I did to him: who the hell plays with them. If graveyard removal was that popular, recurring nightmare wouldn't be banned. I haven't seen any of those played since I removed tornod's crypt from my tolarian academy deck.
BTW, Zadok collects eater of the deads and he hasn't found a use yet.

C

ChaosPrism

Actually you wont be seeing this in T2 at all because pandemonium is Rath Block and Replenish/Frantic are both urza block

When urza rotates out all you'll see is saproling burst.

D

Dune Echo

Actually, recursion was extremely popular with one of the guys I used to play with. We always packed at least a Tormod's Crypt or Planar Void. Basically, you could always count on him for trying to reuse the graveyard in a way that was just plain deadly. It all depends on your area, Duel.

I

igfett

I really don't think it's that big a deal. trix is already 10 times better than it, hands down. if it was a new thing, and suddenly the environment was screwed up, then i would care, but the environment was already too fast anyway. i don't expect to see this new deck too much. it is way better than pandamonium/opalescence though.

Z

Zadok001

Hey... Chas... I collect Eaters. Do you have any? (Or anyone else for that matter?)

Also, how did you make that deck kill so freakin' FAST? My version can get a kill on turn 4, if it's lucky... How did you get a turn 3? That's really impressive. (Not that I'd ever play it, I just like building these decks. People like me are probably as much the problem as the people who play 'em though...)

C

ChasDen

Duel/Zadok

<<BTW, Zadok collects eater of the deads and he hasn't found a use yet>>

Well the most effective use is graveyard and the “Tim philosophy”. Dump the graveyard full of creature cards and then use the eaters ability (0) to un tap him and do it again and again :

Destructive Urge 1RR
Red Enchant Creature Uncomm.
Whenever enchanted creature successfully deals combat damage to a player, that player sacrifices a land.

Fire Whip 1R
Red Enchant Creature Common
Play only on a creature you control. (Tap enchanted creature): Enchanted creature deals 1 damage to target creature or player. (Sacrifice Fire Whip): Fire Whip deals 1 damage to target creature or player.

Hermetic Study 1U
Blue Enchant Creature Common
Enchanted creature gains "(T): This creature deals 1 damage to target creature or player."

Kyren Negotiations 2RR
Red Enchantment Uncomm.
(Tap an untapped creature you control): Kyren Negotiations deals 1 damage to target player.

I believe there are also cards that let you draw cards if it damages a player or creature, just can not think of them off the top of my head.

Actually all I have is 2, and I wish I had 2 more.

[Edited by ChasDen (03-07-2000 at 10:41 PM).]

C

Chaos Turtle

Recursion is still playable in extended. Most of the cards named above are not extended-legal (eater and TCrypt). Planar Void isn't good enough, and Rapid Decay is a weaker version of the Charm (Funeral or Ebony, not sure which) that has the same ability for 1 less and a choice of 2 others, but no cycling; and Honor the Fallen, which again is only 'okay.'

The real reason you're not seeing much recursion is Trix. Recur-Survival decks will be competitive again if the Dark Ritual banning succeeds in slowing Trix and SuiBlack down.

T

The Magic Jackal

What about clusterbomb?
saproling cluster, ashnod's altar, fercundity, blaze.

Play the cluster, pay one discard, get a creature. Sac for 2 mana, draw a card. pay one discard, get another creature.

Yeah, pretty cheap. The only problem is they never pull it off. I know, i played against one in a tournament. For some reason, when you blow up all their lands they don't like it.