An Eventide Card that I really like!!

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
While breezing through today's Eventide article, I came across this little ditty.

I'd love to build a deck around it..... WITHOUT relying on a single infinite mana combo. I don't mind it there are any in the deck, but I'd rather the focus not being just 1 combo.

Ransac, cpa trash man

M

Modus Pwnens

It's rubbish, although a good place to start would be that cumulitive upkeep: add R to your manapool from coldsnap thingy..

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Eh, it may be rubbish, but I'm a mark for alternate win cards. I built a casual deck based off of Test of Endurance when it came out, too.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Alternate win conditions are a nice gimmick, but wouldn't you rather do something different with 100 mana?

D

DarthFerret

Isn't there a card that doubles the amount of counters on permanents? Kinda like Parrallel Evolutions did to token creatures?

M

Modus Pwnens

Yes, but this card has shroud, so that won't be working :)

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Okay, so we have Doubling Season. I'm thinking Storage lands work well in this scheme, too. They'll also gain double counters and the mana they pump in will be doubled as well. That's 4 times the pump through Doubling Season.

Ransac, cpa trash man

M

Modus Pwnens

Oh, i thought you were referring to the UG hybrid card from Eventide (2G/U, Q: Double the number of counters on target permanent - or something)

D

DarthFerret

I was refering to prior sets. Not familiar with the newer stuff as I have not been to a pre-release since Time spiral, and have not bought any cards since then either.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
You mean Gilder Bairn (barn, heh). Great art! It does target, unfortunately. Helix pinnacle would've been better if it had troll shroud instead of normal shroud. You could use Giant fan, it doesn't target the card but the counters on it.

B

BigBlue

Mana Batteries too!

Why will the mana be doubled from a land battery too? Am I missing something?

For Giggles... find a mass life gain, then you could power it up with Channel!

You could use the mana for Stream of Life - that'd keep you alive while you were getting everything going...

What about the elf that gives you GG during your main phase... aren't there more like that?

Get a token generator and Ashnods Altar... the doubling season gets you twice the tokens... Like Uncle Squirrel... He'd come in w/ 8 squirrels, sac them (w/ the druid) for 18 mana - power up tower for 36 counters. That's all Green... Squirrel Nest would get you 2 squirrels too...

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Magus of the Vineyard and Eladamri's Vineyard

Doubling Season doubles the amount of counters placed on a permanent, so if a storage land adds a counter, it add two. THEN, when you use that doubled mana to add counters to Helix Pinnacle, they'll double again.

Lots of fun with Doubling Season!!

Ransac, cpa trash man

B

BigBlue

Gotcha... mana's not doubled twice, effect on tower is. :)

Oh... how bout this dude (W/ Doubling Season - and the Altar): Tetravus

cip w/ 6 counters, put them into play for 12 tokens put them back on tetravus for 24 counters, take them off for 48 Tokens... it's 3 upkeeps... but you'd have quite the armada of tetravus dudes...

course you got the spores too... they cip with double counters, when you move them they double... And you could move those to the tetravus for greater impact sooner.

B

BigBlue

Since the doubling affects fading counters... Blastoderm for twice as long is cool...

I think this is a pretty casual deck... too bad you can't work a pony into it... :p

but that might make it too powerful.

B

Budget Player Cadet

Meh. If you're going to pump 100 mana into something, do it with Fireball. Or at least something like Searing Touch (1 damage for R, buyback 4). Not my thing...

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Sure, one could charge up a bunch of mana and fire to the opponents dome. But, Fireball is so....... cliché. I like new and interesting ideas.

Ransac, cpa trash man