An article about the "Auction"

R

Rando

Posted on www.starcitygames.com

October 04, 2001
Why Your Deck Didn't Get Chosen For The Invitational
by Tony Drew

Print This Article

Before I start listing reasons why your deck didn’t make the cut, I’ll just post the "rules" here again, in case anyone forgot.

Auction of the People

As I announced in the article on the formats for this year's Magic Invitational, this year's Auction won't be decks from Pro Tour winners, but rather decks from all of you. So I need your help.

This year's theme is going to be race decks. That is, decks built around a particular creature type (i.e. goblins, soldiers, etc.) Here's the rules:

1) Decks are allowed to use any Magic cards ever printed. (Yes, that includes non-tournament legal sets.) The only banned cards are ante cards as this format will not be using ante.

2) The judges will be looking for decks that are fun to play, are original and have a strong theme. They will not be judged on power level.

3) We will only be choosing one deck per creature type. The more obscure creature type you use, the less competition you will have to get selected.

4) People may submit as many decks as they like, but no person will have more than one deck chosen.

5) All decks must be turned in by Monday, September 10th at 12:00 p.m. PST.

6) Seventeen decks will be chosen. The designer of each deck will receive a limited edition Sideboard deck box signed by the Invitational player who played their deck.

7) No sideboard should be included with deck submissions.

Why your deck didn’t make the cut:

1. You are not a personal friend of Jeff Donais or Mark Rosewater.

Example: Gary Wise’s deck. Gary Wise admits in his "Wise Words" column that he submitted the deck as an inside joke for Jeff Donais ("Seriously though, just to explain, I submitted the deck in the hopes Jeff would get a kick out of the listing."), and it breaks many of the rules of the contest - yet it still gets chosen. I particularly love this bit in the rules above; "...this year's Auction won't be decks from Pro Tour winners, but rather decks from all of you." Well obviously that isn’t so - is it, Mark? You would think that since the purpose of the auction was to get decks from us commoners that people actually going to the freaking Invitational would be excluded from the contest. If you thought that, you are, like me, are a moron. You would at least think that if they were submitting decks that they would have to adhere to the rules... But you’d also be wrong about that.

2. You followed the rules.

Idiot. Simpleton. Fool. You actually wasted time and effort tuning your deck along a theme? No wonder it isn’t on the list. Okay, that is a little harsh, most of the decks adhere to a theme reasonably well but there are plenty of examples where they don’t. Again, Gary Wise’s deck is the prime example: The whole deck is only Swamps, Plague Rats, and Black Loti. Right - the Rats/Lotus theme, because everyone thinks of Black Lotus when they think of rats. By the way, is this deck fun to play? Turn 1, Swamp, Lotus, Rat or Swamp, do nothing. Every single time, with the occasional
"two Lotus, two Rat" hand thrown in. Wow, that is fun and original, as per rule 2. No wonder Gary is on the Pro Tour.

Ditto goes for the Chimera/Abyss deck. Abyss?!?!?! How the hell does that go with Chimeras? Oh, right - it doesn’t, it is just gratuitous power carding. Then, of course, there is the all land deck, and last time I looked at the rules, land had no creature type at all (that deck is actually pretty cool, though; I don’t have a problem with it).

I don’t expect every single card in the deck to adhere strictly to the theme but I did think that you had to make an attempt for every card - that you couldn’t just fling Lotus, Moxen, Abyss around if they were obviously not even tangentially related to the theme. I was wrong.

I must sound pretty bitter, and I am. Not that my deck didn’t get chosen, but that I wasted a good deal of time and effort when I made my deck and tried to follow the rules. If I had known the "rules" meant nothing, then I wouldn’t have spent so much time. I will most certainly not make the mistake of entering one of Mark Rosewater’s contests again, because I don’t want to screw around wondering which rules actually apply and which ones don’t.

Tony Drew

H

Hetemti

What more would you expect from Woody? We've seen him in action before.

If I wasn't a poor mofo, I'd bet that noöne even glanced at the "submitted" decks. They just had the script pick one out at random to be No. 11.

A

Apollo

Bingo.

I bet hitting the "submit" button sent your deck straight to the recycle bin...

D

Dune Echo

Zadok, you took the words right out of my mouth. Once again, Wizards proves that they truly cater to the tournament players. Where the hell is the theme for Gary Wise's deck?! I saw some awesome decks here at the CPA. I think they need to let us judge this stupid contest so it truly "won't be decks from Pro Tour winners, but rather decks from all of" us.

TO: Mark Rosewater
Stop catering to people that have the loads of cash to get invited to your precious invitation. Instead, why don't you guys put the money from the Invitation towards getting card ideas not from Invitation "winners, but rather" cards from all of us. There's a whole lot more of us than there are of them. And our cards won't be any more broken than Wrath of Leknif.