America's got talent

E

EricBess

I usually only watch America's got talent hit or miss. I caught a few episodes when Terry Fator won, for example, but I don't lose sleep if I miss an episode.

I used to watch American Idol, but I probably won't anymore because Ellen is just so anoying and it just won't be worth having to sit through that.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Nope, this is one of those (many) I don't watch. Just Amazing Race, Survivor, So You Think You Can Dance, and America's Best Dance Crew.

T

train

Hadn't even heard of america's best dance crew...

But for being in the "finals" - this show still has 10 contestants going head-to-head and it's all a voting deal now...

But from being in Vegas right now - there's not many of those peeps on the show that got the talent to make it big here...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
ABDC is on MTV, presented by Randy Jackson and judged by Shane Sparks (which is why he hasn't really been on SYTYCD in the past couple of seasons), Lil Mama, and JC Chasez (from N'Sync). If you like crews dancing, it's pretty cool; they have a bunch of crews who come in with different styles (stepping, clogging, good 'ol b-boy, etc) and give them challenges for each dance segment to see if they can pull it off. Last season, the crew that won (Quest Crew) had two guys who had been in SYTYCD (Hok and Dominic). Good stuff. :)

T

train

may look into it...

So skinner won it all - which I don't think would cut it as an act in Vegas... and Padilla, as a runner-up could have done a little better in Vegas in my mind...

the one I thought would be best in Vegas would be recycled percussion - especially being in the town and seeing everything going on at that time...

E

EricBess

"Skinner" and "Padilla". I'll have to YuTube those later...

E

EricBess

Thanks train...I should have commented earlier when I went and looked at the first two. I think this season of AGT must have been pretty weak overall if this is the best they can come up with.

Think about it, the winner gets a show on Vegas. Terry Fator just put out a DVD. His act is unique and interesting. A normal ventriloquist in Vegas probably wouldn't get very far, but Terry can sing, do impersonations, and, more than anything, have his dummies to impersonations. That's huge when thinking of a Vegas act. You have to have something that makes you different.

This season's winner, Skinner, is just another singer. I could see him doing a single show as a "headliner", but not having an ongoing show like Fator now has. You have to already have a pretty huge following as a singer to pull that off. Think Manalow, Streisand, and now Midler. Not too many artists could continue to fill the audience performance after performance and Skinner certainly doesn't have what it takes.

Padilla...really? I know Vegas acts come in all shapes and sizes, but opera singing??? I'm sure some people would go, but I think people go to Vegas shows to be wowed in some way and I couldn't imaging what she might do to keep attention for long. "And for my next opera song..." after a while, they are all the same.

Recycled percussion was a bit more interesting, but from the video I watched, the percussion wasn't that big a deal. The guitar and the keyboard were so loud that the percussion itself was drowned out (literally in the video I saw...), but at least they are something. My big concern with them is that again, they aren't unique. Why would I go see them if I could go see Blue Man Group instead? Maybe because the later is already sold out?

T

train

I think all your points are good... you're right about not much of a Vegas show - but Skinner just didn't entertain...

Padilla could maybe mix it up before celine dion or something... She might even be at the arts center in Vegas...

As for percussion - they seemed to do much more than blue man on the creative side (power tools in one skit, flames, etc. in another, and the last one the van with the beach boys theme...) they just seem to have more than blue man - but they aren't necessarily "top notch"...

I didn't see anyone that could hold a full show in vegas other than magicians, and none of them made top 10 - and if they did - they would have to compete with penn and teller and the likes...

America's got talent should result in a show in some big town- but not necessarily in the Vegas scene...