Amazing.

I

Istanbul

So I'm at this draft, right, and we're opening packs of Odyssey. First pack in, and I'm seated next to the most annoying kid in the store. (Talks to your opponent and gives advice while you play, whiny little voice...same kid got DQ'ed for not keeping his life total and started *crying*, this is a 12-year-old kid)

I figure, great, time for a repeat: I open three packs with horrid rares and get beaten down by the broken stuff that everyone else gets. (This did occur. Y'know, there's not a lot you can do about Irridescent Angel in OBC.)

So I open my pack to some god-awful rare...par for the course. I pluck something decent out, and the kid next to me declares that he opened the foil rare...oh well. He takes his card, and we pass.
The kid passes me his pack, and I see the hint of foil. Hmmm. Must suck pretty bad. Let's see what it is.

The kid passed me a foil Darkwater Catacombs.

Darkwater Catacombs
Land
1, T: Add UB to your mana pool.

You know, usually I feel kinda bad about rare-drafting, but...:D

H

Hetemti

Falling Stones=Iridescent Tech

Well...not that I wouldn't've taken the Foil 'Combs too, but it still kinda sucks. I, too, was disappointed by the rares in Odyssey, but aside from the random bomb, the set's not too bad for limited.

I'm wondering what Vedetta's going to bring. Hopefully some decent control to hinder bomb syndrome, but with it's own bombs as well. We saw plenty of combo-esque stuff, I bet Vendetta will have some counters and some speedy beatdown. Maybe Teferi will phase back in and bring my Viashinoes back with him. My Cutthroats and Sandstalkers are lonely.

A

arhar

Speaking about rare-drafting, at the side draft during the Prerelease, I got passed a foil green Lhurgoyf, which I immediately yoinked out of the pack and traded for an Absorb :D
Usually I don't rare-draft, but that was one of the occasions there's nothing in the pack at all, so why the heck not? Imagine my surprise when I got 15th pick foil Swamp! Heh.

G

Gizmo

The way to beat Iridescent Angel is to win before he casts it. I dont think many of my games in the Pre-Release went to 7 turns.

D

Duel

Gizmo: What set were you playing with?!? Okay, of the group I went with (there were 7 of us) 4 of us drew the first round. I was the only one to end a game in 5 or less turns.

I

Istanbul

Our average games lasted at LEAST 12 turns.
I can't imagine how you kept all of your games under 7 turns in an Odyssey-only draft.

G

Gizmo

That was at the pre-release. About 50 players, 7 rounds of swiss, and sealed deck.

G

Goku

Well, I know of at least one way to beat rare-drafters.... play so that the winner gets to keep all the cards. Of course, the DCI doesn't officially do that, but if drafting's your game, then that can be fun to play with friends.

Of course, it can also be quite costly.

The two reasons that I don't draft:
1. People will rare-draft
2. When playing for keeps, I have a chance of losing, and losing my well-earned cash. And the few times I have drafted before, the other guys are always about as good as I am.

I haven't done it in years.

C

Chaos Turtle

After all, so they get a few rares, maybe even a couple of good ones. What do you get? Better card selection. I don't mind at all having some kid on my right taking "pop" cards and passing me useful uncommons.

R

r00tg04t

I love rare drafters! at my local wizards store on friday night drafts.. there is about 3 korean kids who rare draft every night.. the sad thing is they draft trash rares and try to trade them to "us" (us being the decent players) for older stuff... (mox diamonds, masticores etc..) anyways, i usualy win the drafts when they are playing but i don't draft alot mainly because i am not very good at limited but it's still fun to draft casualy with friends.. when i win i save the packs to draft on saturdays with my friends wich is where i get the real enjoyment but anyways, i heard passing 2 voice of all, and armadillo cloaks is pretty good? hey they got a scuta... i coulda used it, but i would rather have the 2 voice of all in a draft.. BOP TO THE SCUTA!@