Amazing Race: All-Stars

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Saw the previews for this during the Survivor Reunion show... man, I hope Rob & Amber aren't gonna be on it...

E

EricBess

I like Rob and Amber...They definitely take the game to a different level and keep everything very competative. Yes, they did a few things that could be considered underhanded, but they nearly always got along with each other and they found some very creative ways to "cheat the system" by abusing the rules rather than abusing the other players.

There are a lot of teams shown, though, and they make a point of saying that the teams haven't been chosen yet. I'm sure a few of the teams they show in the clips are in and some are shown to mislead.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't like them as much - I think they see themselves as arrogant and cocky (where I'm sure they and others view themselves as '"confident" :) ) That's my main problem... finding loopholes in the rules is fine.

I remember reading/seeing something about "Where are 'They' Now", 'They' Being the top reality stars of various shows, and Rob and Amber were profiled. It said something about them developing a reality show showing their lives? but nothing about a new Amazing Race (although I don't know if they could tell if they were).

Just gotta see... like Survivor, I wish they would do a show with the people who were first eliminated, to give them another shot, rather than the most popular :)

E

EricBess

Yeah, I definitely agree with that. A "second chance" show for some of these shows would be great. The big problem is that you have to consider why some of them were eliminated. You don't want it to turn into "who's the best of the worst".

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Sure you do :)

Well, it makes more sense in Survivor's case. I mean, most of the time, the first person voted off is based off of first impressions (kinda like the first night in Werewolf :) )

Sometimes in Amazing Race, it might just have been "bad luck" that gets the team eliminated. Or weird twists, like the one in the past season. So a second chance would be nice...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it starts next Sunday... And it looks like Rob & Amber ARE in it. Man, these guys are the luckiest reality people ever. Two chances each in Survivor and now two chances on Amazing Race, plus their own "reality" show about Rob trying to make it in the poker world (from what I hear, I haven't seen it)... geez.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, that just sucks... whatever was on earlier bumped the Amazing Race back by half an hour, so we missed that last half an hour. So it stopped when everyone was arriving in Ecuador.

So I can only really talk about the choices they made for the All-Stars. The ones from earlier seasons, like one and three, I barely remember. Some seasons weren't even represented. And not sure why Uchenna and Joyce, winner of their season, was invited back; I mean, I know it's All-Star, but it should have been the teams who were eliminated.

Can't believe Rob held the airport shuttle for that other team, though it "killed" him :) Can't believe it's been two years since they were on the show. Time flies...

E

EricBess

We missed the first part, so I didn't see that bit with Rob. We picked it up right when they were in the airport and everyone was trying to figure out what airline would get their sooner.

Rob and Amber were pretty kicked back, but they were on the first flight, so I've got to figure that they had a bit of a lead at that point. I don't think Rob and Amber are really "cutthroat". In the previous season, no one wanted them to win, so they didn't even have a chance. Don't get me wrong, they would be the first to stab a "teammate" in the back if that would give them a better chance of winning. But yeah, I could see how it would "kill" him :D

You probably don't want to hear the ending, though :D. Rob and Amber ended up winning the trip since they were the first to arrive. There were I believe 4 teams that ended up going in the south entrance to the park, even though the clue specifically said the north enterance. Mostly, it was because they had "guides" who led them there and by the time they found out it was the south entrance, it would have been a 45-minute drive back to the north entrance. It's hard to judge time, but I think it would have been a better idea to make the drive back to the north entrace based on what they showed.

In the end, there was one team that followed someone's instructions when he said, "it's down that road about an hour". So, they weren't expecting anything and were later told they were going the wrong direction. By then, they were closer to the south entrance and directed there. So there was just very little chance of them catching up.

The detour was to either rope down a horse and groom it (clip it's hoofs and trim it's mane and tail) or to search for 3 missing pieces of a uniform in a field (sword, shoulder emblem and a button). Rob and Amber were way ahead and were the only one to try the uniform. They found the sword, but it quickly became apparent that the button was going to be impossible to find, so they switched tasks.

It turned out that the roping down of the horse was done by their professional assistant and all they really had to do was the grooming, so the horse task was basically a piece of cake and not even very long. No one had any trouble with it that they showed.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think we were going to see if CBS streams the Amazing Race on the web. Not sure why THAT'S not On Demand, but hey...

E

EricBess

I saw a commercial yesterday and they mentioned that if you missed an episode, you can catch it online. It's CBS, so I'm guessing it will be in a tiny little window and not really clear which buttons to push to see it, but once you figure it out, it's there.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
We actually visited the site last night and just got the recap in text, which was fine. There's mini-clips of footage not shown, but a lot of it was boring; we quit after three of them.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Saw last night's episode in its entirety... :D

Thoughts: Not sure why David and Mary thought they could trust Myrna and C(forgot her name), but at least they found out now instead of later.

Can't believe no one can read their maps and make the left on the way to the pitstop. The Beauty Queens should have lost that one if everyone made the left (and I believe they all had the maps except the BQs as they sped right past the barrier). Except maybe Drew and his partner since they were fixed on going 40 KM the entire time.

Not sure how Teri and Ian missed the cars after the Detour...

That Roadblock Puzzle challenge was the best one I've seen so far... THAT'S the kind of mental puzzles they should have. :)

Rob and Amber won again but they were the strongest this time, I have to admit. Funny how their and Oswald and Danny's flight plans put them last unexpectedly instead of first like they thought :)

E

EricBess

I think it's Smyrna... ;). Actually, it's Sharla, but everyone seems to call them that. But yeah, they were all happy to get pulled out of the mud, but just as fast to pass when elimination was on the line.

It looked like a few people followed the Beauty Queens without getting maps. I was under the impression that the clue gave some information. Not the directions, but the information about the speed limit going back to 50.

I agree about the roadblock. That was great. And the best part is how easy it would have been to just watch what other people are doing and yet not everyone did. A puzzle like that also gives an indication of who you can trust. Kevin all but cheated following someone out just to see what they had written and if they got it right.

I don't think Drew was intending any disrespect stepping off the mat early. I think he was really kind of out of it and just having a miserable time. For his sake, it's probably just as well that they were eliminated so he can get back to a normal altitude and relax a bit.

Once again, I would love to see the Beauty Queens eliminated as soon as possible. They are just as annoying this time as they were before.

Rob and Amber are like a machine sometimes. If they get eliminated, it will likely be because of a technical problem like the airline that happened this week and not because they had a rough week. They never seem to be behind for long.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
They didn't show it, but I thought everyone else got maps, which I'm fairly sure said to take the left (but maybe not, since no one in that group did. Or they couldn't read it). But the guy giving the directions pointed to the map and said this is where they can go back up to 50 KM (and there was that road sign, which the show made sure to show often :) )

Yeah, Kevin pretty much cheated but Mary wasn't too smart either, saying out loud "Is it <whatever the word was>". Most everyone else just spelled it and showed it to the guard. If Mary kept quiet and just let the guard look, Kevin would have still been in the dark.

I agree about Drew; he was tired and hurting and it's just as well they got out now (though unfortunate to Kevin).

E

EricBess

Question though...When did they play? Were they the same pair of brothers that ended up not making it to the pit stop because one of them had knee problems and they ended up just giving up on some digging challenge?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Saw last night's episode...

The Beauty Queens sure got a break on the Pit Stop. Having to go back and get the clue and then coming back and still being 4th was a stroke of luck.

The "Guidos" also were lucky they ran into Charla and Myrna, since they didn't write down the full clue. How can you miss the full clue? :)

David and Mary got too many bad breaks... Dave even tried to say "what was that" when they passed the left turn for the P town, but Mary said "Keep going"... among other things. Kinda shows their reliance on the Cho brothers last season to get them through, IMO.

Rob and Amber are machines! I still don't like them, but they actually haven't done anything really "underhanded" this game and have come in first three straight times. Whoa...

E

EricBess

Yeah, I was hoping they would really suffer for that mistake. In the end, they probably didn't really have much of a penalty at all. It's hard to say how far away from everything else things were, but I got the impression that they may have actually not taken much more time than if they had done things in the proper order.

Yeah, Rob and Amber this time seem to be concentrating on just playing a solid game. No underhandedness and no reliance on others. Rob still likes to have people that he considers to be weaker around based on his comments, but other than that...I liked Amber's comment about, "Ignore them, let's play our own race." They ended up taking a wrong turn when they did that, but they seemed like they were already planning on asking for directions ASAP and didn't end up driving for an extra hour like some teams in the past have done.

I'm wondering about next week's though. An ending that will have everyone talking and they showed scenes with 4 different teams scrambling to the pit stop. I didn't see Rob and Amber, though. So, either it's an incredibly close ending and Rob and Amber were first again, or...something goes very wrong for Rob and Amber and they are eliminated after 3 straight 1sts...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Woooo! Rob and Amber got eliminated! I can't believe what a free-fall they had for that leg - all because of the challenge. It looks like they spent about two hours on that, since the other teams from the second flight came in. I can't believe they didn't go back and double-check their spelling if they had that much time - I bet they were watching that and kicking themselves (or Amber kicking Rob) if they hadn't figured out by now what happened.

Myrna and Charla have to go next. Man, are they annoying! And Charla (the non-short one) is always yelling at the other one, when it would probably be faster just to do what she's doing and then coming back to help.

The Navigation challenge looked pretty easy compared to the Sign challenge.

I wonder how the people were picked to write the letter in the Detour?

E

EricBess

I was surprised at the spelling too. Rob's competativeness worked against them this time since he couldn't just put it behind him and move on.

Agree about the Navigation challenge. When Uchenna and Joyce showed up at the airport and realized they were on the second flight...

Have I ever told you how much I dislike it when the needle in a haystack challenges directly lead to elimination??? This wasn't as bad as some, but for all we know, all of the Rob/Amber letters were right at the bottom just as an attempt of the producers to help someone else come in first...

Myrna and Charla are cocky and self-righteous. Come on, getting on Rob and Ambers case for lying? Which game are you playing again? Chutes and Ladders? Did you expect them to instead say, "Sorry we led you down this incorrect path. Why don't we give you a 10-minute head start to make up for it..." And the taxi thing. "We called, so this is clearly our taxi." If they were that convinced that the taxi was going to respond to their call that quickly, they should have told the taxi driver they called to make sure it was them that got picked up and not someone else...

Anyway, in the end it looks like I called it. All of the comercials said, "closest finish ever.", but I sure didn't see it. Didn't look at that close to me. I guess my prediction last week about Rob and Amber turned out to be wrong.

It sadens me. I know you've never really liked Rob and Amber, but I've always been a fan. They've certainly made things very interesting on a number of occasions. And I think that their elimination speach pretty much summed up why I like them. Sure, they are uber-competative, but when it comes right down to it, they realize that it's a game. I think that any team could stab them in the back in the game and completely snow them and after the game, they would walk up to them, shake their hand, and tell them what a great move that was. They got irritated at Charla and Myrna because those two didn't understand that. Charla and Myrna seem to take everything that happens against them very personally and I don't think Rob has much patience for that.

Amber's "recovery" was great. Sure, Charla and Myrna saw right through it, but who cares...Although it was too bad that Amber hadn't been holding the old clue instead of Rob, because they clearly didn't see it. If Amber had been holding it instead, they might have spent another 1/2 hour looking down the trail :D