Alter Reality

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by rkoelsch, Mar 1, 2002.

1. rkoelsch Angel Boy

I am really getting juiced about playing with this. Sleight was one of my favorite cards and this is so much better. I want to make sure I understand it correctly

a) I Alter Reality Llwan from blue to green in response to casting her while she is a spell. She will return green creatures. Now she resolves(green has no counterspells) will she prevent green creatures forever? I think yes
    will she prevent Call of the Herd? I think no

b) I use crimson acolyte ability to give itself protection from red.
    after that resolves I use alter reality to change it to protection from green. So does it have Prot from Green(forever) and Red(til end of turn)? I think yes

Thanks
  2. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Here's what happens:

1. She will prevent green creature spells from being played. SHe doesn't prevent Call of the Herd, as it is a sorcery and not a creature spell (so you're correct).

2. Crimson Acolyte already has pro:red and you successfully give it pro: red again. Then you Alter Reality it to green. So now it has two cases of pro:green, one built in that will last "forever" and one that wears off at the end of turn.

What you probably want to do to get both is cast Alter Reality on the Acolyte in response to activating its ability. So you'd have two pseudo-spells on the stack, first the pro:red ability and then the Alter Reality. Assuming that nothing else is put on the stack and they resolve successfully, Alter Reality would resolve first, turning the text on the Acolyte to green (i.e. the built-in one is the one you're worried about), and then the ability would resolve, giving it pro:red until end of turn.
  3. EricBess Active Member

2. Ummm....

Crimson Alcolyte has built in Pro:Red. You activate it's ability to give it Pro:Red. It now has two cases of Pro:Red. One permanent and one that last until EOT (end of turn).

Now, you cast Alter Reality, changing red in the text of the Alcolyte to green. Here's where Spidey is just a bit off. The pro:red that it gave itself previously does not affect the text of the card. As such, after Alter Reality resolves, it now has Pro:Green permanently and Pro:Red that wears off at the end of the turn.

If you activate the ability again after the Alter Reality resolves, it will give Pro:Green.

BTW, why is Alter Reality worse than Sleight of Mind? They do the same thing. The only difference is that Alter Reality costs 1 more mana
  4. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Oops, you're right, I misunderstood/misinterpreted the situation.

Which means rokoelsch was correct on his original assumptions. :)
  5. rkoelsch Angel Boy

Ericbess- No I think Alter Reality is better than Sleight the extra mana is incidental. When you built Sleight decks it was always a pain to put slots in for them because they are depend on another card to be useful. This way I get 6 uses out of 3 slots or 8 uses out of 4 slots. Thanks for confirming that I understand the card