All Saints' Day?

N

Notepad

up on the front page saying nov 1 is All Saints' Day. what is it? Is it a non-United States holiday?

C

Chaos Turtle

Why, it's the day after Hallowe'en, of course!

Hallowe'en is a contraction for All Hallow's Eve. It is named such because it's the night before All Saints' Day. I think (and I'm not Catholic so I might be wrong) that All Saints' is a day set aside to commemorate the lives of Saints who don't have their own "common" day. Something like that.

Anyways, my calendar said it was All Saints' Day, so... ;)

N

Notepad

so its a Catholic holiday then, eh? no wonder I knew nothing of it...

Ferret

Staff member
Actually, it's a day that the Catholics put after the Pagan New Year, Samhain while they were "Christianizing" Europe. While they were changing many Pagan holidays (Yule, Oester, etc.) they found they really couldn't change this one, so they just added All Saints' Day after All Hollow's Eve...

-Ferret

"...Nov. 1st is also called Dia De La Morte in Latin Countries - or Day of the Dead..."

N

Notepad

Pretty strange history there. Thanks, Ferret!

*wonders, though spelled with one "t", is this the same as Star City's wise, wacky forest mammal?*

Ferret

Staff member
For the record, I am not that other "Ferrett" - I'm not sure who he is, but someone should advise him of the correct spelling...

-Ferret

"...one T - just one..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think it's just a "Catholic" thing; it seems to be more a "Christian" celebration (or "catholic" with a lower case) as my Methodist church celebrated it a week early, on the 26th.

And perhaps StarCity's Ferrett knew about you, Ferret and wanted to be distinct... ;)

T

theorgg

Actually, I think Ferret would like The Ferrett's rants and such. He has a website(over 18 only, adult language and offensiveness) at http://www.theferrett.com

It's really quite funny, and so is he.

Ferret- you might want to engage a signature that says somthing to the effect of "not from starcity-- notice the one 't'

T

train

Or a signature that says "Edu-ma-kated enuff to no that Ferret has only wun T!!!":D :p

N

Notepad

I know you guys ain't bashing the one and only The Ferrett (now with more T). I pitty the fool who messes with the forest mammal with an extra kick of T!

(could it be an A-Team alliance?)

Ferret

Staff member
Hmmm...just got through looking at The other Ferrett's website and found that he's a bit amusing - but, whereas, I'm cynical he's just plain bitter. People like that make me look happy-go-lucky...

-Ferret

"...reminds me of one of my former pets..."

T

theorgg

bitter?

I never noticed that. He's always been forthcoming with bad advice when I respond to one of his articles, wheter Magic related or non. His Magic wrighting is pretty good, too.

T

train

The other Ferret-t's writing is very good when it comes to Magic... but I guess I look for a little more entertainment within the seriousness...:rolleyes:

N

Notepad

train, if you're looking for more entertainment, you gotta read his site. FerretT is one of the craziest and most honest writers with an entertaining edge I've seen around.

not that my assessment means much right now, because I'm high on peanut butter...if that's possible...*high*

T

train

I added it to favorites so I can look at it when I'm not so busy...

I'll give reviews later.;)

Thanks!:cool: