Akroma's Vengence and Angelic Renewal

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by rkoelsch, Jan 7, 2003.

1. rkoelsch Angel Boy

Since I have this in my tribes deck I should know how it interacts. I think I am unable to get an angel back because they are all going to the graveyard at the same time. But would like some better players opinions.

Angelic Renewal
    Color= White Type= Enchantment Cost= 1W WL(C)
    Text (WL+errata): Whenever a creature is put into your graveyard, you may sacrifice ~this~. If you do, return that creature to play. [Oracle 2001/08/24]

Akroma's Vengeance
    Color= White Type= Sorcery Cost= 4WW ON(R)
    Text (ON): Destroy all artifacts, creatures, and enchantments. ; Cycling {3}.
  2. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

You can still get back an angel.

3. EricBess Active Member

Is that the most recent Oracle wording of Angelic Renewal? If so, D'Angelo is out of date (wouldn't be the first time).

When everything goes to the graveyard, Angelic Renewal triggers. Note that Angelic Renewal's wording is similar to Academy Rector in that is says, "...if you do..." What that means is that if you do not sacrifice, you do not get the creature back. If you are unable to sacrifice (for whatever reason), then you may not do so.

In this case, by the time the triggered ability resolves, you are unable to sacrifice Angelic Renewal because it is already in the graveyard. As such, you cannot satisfy the "...if you do...", so you cannot get the Angel back.
  4. rkoelsch Angel Boy

Ah Spidey here I was all excited and everything. That darn Ericbess just messes up everything.;)
  5. EricBess Active Member

I know. I'm such a party pooper :D
  6. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

That's the most recent Oracle wording of Angelic Renewal, but as you can see it is an "additional"/clarification of a ruling as of '98. I'll send a note to crystalkeep about what you said and see what they say/do.
  7. train The Wildcard!!!...

I had never thought of sending an email to them when something like that was found...

Have you done that before Spidey...:)
  8. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Nope, this is the first. But they say to send them an email if we think a ruling is incorrect, so I'm trying it out. :)
  9. train The Wildcard!!!...

:cool:

Let me know if it's D'Angelo that actually responds, could you?...

Please...
  10. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

He finally responded and agreed with EricBess, so he's changing the ruling...
  11. train The Wildcard!!!...

Did D'Angelo actually respond???
  12. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

email had his name on it, so I assume it was from him...
  13. train The Wildcard!!!...