Ahem...

W

Whimsical

Errr ... <nervously glances at all the bloodthirsty posting being done here> This is going to be my first time to post anything here ... so be gentle, guys...

This baby is my old Goblin deck which I still play nowadays for fun ... I know it doesn't really stand a prayer in today's cutthroat environment ... but hey, my deck gives me a lot of pleasure. ;) Feel free to cook it.

16 Mountain
4 Smoldering Crater
4 Mogg Fanatic
4 Raging Goblin
4 Mogg Maniac
2 Goblin King
4 Mogg Alarm
4 Goblin Grenades
2 Goblin Bombardment
2 Goblin Warrens
3 Lightning Bolt
3 Incinerate
2 Fireblast
2 Pyrokinesis
2 Aftershock
2 Anvil of Bogardan

16 mountains for mana might be cutting it a bit close ... though the Smoldering Craters bring the count up to 20, as well as provide much needed cycling in case of a land glut. The creatures tend to be self-explanatory ... though maybe an Orgg or similiar weenie-masher might be handy ... but my pride really dictates me only putting goblins in. :) Pyrokinesis provides weenie-control and can be used even when tapped out ... Fireblast for the last few kicks in the keister to bring an opponent to zero ... Aftershock was chosen over Pillage because of the lack of X-cheese in the deck (in keeping with the Go, go, go! theme) and I needed a way to kill a Force of Nature without having to gang-tackle it with goblins and fire off lightning bolts and incinerates like crazy. Anvil was chosen over Howling Mine because, a: it's cheaper (monetary-wise)... b: it really pisses the pants off a Necropotence/Necrologia deck ... :)

Any thoughts? I'd really appreciate any comments ... after all, since you men were nice enough to let me examine your decks in my clinic, I thought it'd be high time to let you guys play with my baby... ;)

Last note. The next guy to say, "Where're the Moxes?", gets a free trip to the goblin warrens with a goblin matron as his date... :D

[Edited by Whimsical on September 9th, 2000 at 01:30 PM]

S

sageridder

have you tried goblin recruiter ?coat of arms might help survive longer.

W

Whimsical

Thanks for reminding me about that card, mister sagerider sir! It's been nagging me since this morning ...

Exactly HOW does the goblin recruiter work? It says on the card to look for a goblin card in your deck and put on top of your library... clarify for moi. Does it allow for retrieval of Goblin Grenade, Bomb, Bombardment, Caves, Shrine, King, etc., etc., ad nauseaum ... since all those have the word goblin on them ... or is just a cheap way to pull out your maniacs for you to draw next turn?

And Coat of Arms ... I'd put it in the deck ... if I had one. That darn thing is harder to find than an intelligent date on a Friday night out... ;)

G

Gizmo

I`m not sure Smouldering Crater is good, isn`t it a better idea to stick in Ghitu Encampment. That way you avoid landglut by having lands that do something, rather than having to spend mana to throw them away.

Recruiter only lets you get something with Creature Type: Goblin, unfortunately.

I think Ragers are too weak, really. I`d use Flunkies or Patrols in their stead. I really worry about your hitting power, as you have a lot of 1/1s, but that`s really easily nullified. As you say, a couple of big hitters would go a long way to helping out on this count, an Orgg is half an Orc (half an Ogre), so it`s related to Goblins in a second-cousin kind of a way, if you need to justify it. More to the point, what did Goblin Mutant (Ice Age Uncommon) or Goblin Marshall do wrong?

Have you thought/heard of Mogg Infestation? That would go a treat in here, methinks

S

sageridder

The recruiter allows you to "stack"your deck.:)You may only search for cards that goblin is the creature type on.:(
On ebay there a few up for auction now,they appear to be going for $6-7.Good luck

Killer Joe

Good-God Gizmo, do you always have to put in those extra "u"'s ie coloUr, smoUldering, etc....? j/k, you Brit :)

P

Purple_jester

Words like color, glamor, and smolder were supposed to be spelled with a "u" until the Americans removed it for simplicity. Because they were later revered as the universal authority on the English language (ironic, no?) thier spelling convention is followed more throughout the world. Other such converntion are the spelling of the word "gray" with an "a" instead of "e" and...

<WHACK, WHACK, WHACK!!!>

Down! Down, you stupid intellectual!

Sorry 'bout that. My scholarly side occasionally get the better of my social half. ;) That won't happen again...

<rubs sore spot on head>

Ouch. That's what happens when you share bodies... Anyway, to stick with the topic at hand, Goblin Recruiter searchers for the card type "goblin". Therefore, you check the middle left side of a card, just underneath the picture to see if it says "goblin". If it doesn't, then the recruiter can't stack it.

If this were L5R, then any card with "goblin" in the card type or card name would be a legal target. Too bad it isn't. Come to think of it, there SHOULD be a Goblin Recruiter in that game... :D

And yes, the Anvil will drive a Necro deck crazy. Of course, a graveyard deck will be overjoyed, but thems the breaks. Raging Goblin is a good substitute if you can't get any Patrols, so I won't fault you for that.

Ooo! I just has a stroke of genius! You need more board control! Put in some Steam Blasts and Pyroclasms! That would make your Goblins very happy! :D

<starts sneaking off before the retribution>

D

Duel

Hey, how about Goblin marshal, for creatures?
Or Kyren Negotiations, for direct damage?
Or Reckless abandon, for finishing touches?

and I'm a canadian. Pretty neat, eh?

W

Whimsical

For all the replies ... both useful and not so useful but amusing nonetheless. :) Mister Gizmo sir's right about the hitting power of the deck ... although nothing is sadder than a Mogg Flunky whose friend the Mogg Fanatic just died in combat. The bugger just mopes there, jeez... Mogg Infestation would be lovely in the deck ... how about subbing in a couple of Bloodlusts? Any thoughts?

And yes, the Ghitu lands would be a tad bit more useful than the cycling lands ... <makes a mental note to mug anyone with Ghitu camps>.

And as for you, dahling Purple ... Pyroclasms and Steam Blasts? Maybe I should put in Inferno, Earthquake, and a Crater Hellion while I'm at it, huh? :D

As for putting in a goblin recruiter in the L5R game. Ow. As if the blasted Shikibu/Mountain Goblin and Forgotten Tomb wasn't bad enough... <starts cheering for Toku> Oh, wait. I'm at a Magic forum... :D

[Edited by Whimsical on September 10th, 2000 at 10:29 AM]