Marshall Sutcliffe's cards: Implements cycle

Implements of Improvement

Implement of Ferocity

Implement of Combustion

Implement of Malice

Implement of Examination

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I'm interested to see what this set will do. I had mixed feelings about Kaladesh. It is one of the coolest looking sets ever (aesthetically), has exciting mechanics, and introduces its share of powerful cards. But it does little to pick up the pace that has been too hampered in recent years and the potential is too often wasted on cards that cost just a bit too much mana to be exciting. Play cards from Kaladesh against other cards from Kaladesh and the energy mechanic is versatile and robust, a resource that plays differently from everything else in the game and is fun. Play those same cards against real decks and they're just inefficient enough to be hopeless.

At first blush, Aether Revolt is a step in the wrong direction. I got behind on the spoilers for this one and was surprised to see how much was already out there. There was some of the usual "not playing this card, nope, not playing that one either." But taking a closer look, I'm impressed that this set seems to be kicking combo activity up a notch. There's some potential here, and I sincerely hope that it is realized.