Advertiesments

H

Hetemti

I remember the old ads...

Time-lapse, neat visuals, AWESOME background guitar, narrator...one problem...

Brain. Check.
Deck...where do I get 'em?
Friend...I have to sucker someone else in on this too? Oh, and what are these cards again?

Only once did I see Magic cards in a store before I was "normally introduced" to Magic, ie, saw someone else play. I recognised the logo, got the guitar suck in my head, and moved on. The cards, one of those dual-deck base set packs, dissappeared and I forgot all about Magic, well...not totally. I still played that tape of Mystery Science Theater 3000 that had (has) the old ad on it so every now and then the guitar music and fat guy on that couch would be refreshed in my mind.

Flash forward to the Hasbro purchase. No (new) ads until then. Then what do we get.

Cheap plastic suits. Sure, some people find it odd you play with cards with pictures of goblins and clerics and wurms on them, but you will never hear "is that that card game you play?" said like it is spoken when somebody sees that lame add with the Kez/Vizzerdrix pushing the mail cart.

...children...can you say "lame." Good job.

Recently, mutiple people, perhaps they were in kahoots, said to me: "Hey, do you have that new growth card?"

I assume it to be in reference to the ad I saw last night. Here's the play-by-play:

Opening: WotC Customer Service got a complaint that Goblin Hero is not powerful enough.

Hey, big suprise there. Maybe the complaint is because they made Grey Ogre RARE.

We see the Goblin Hero sitting opposite the Guy In A White Lab Coat™.

Note the fact that the goblin is allmost convincing. Better makeup job than all the Magic ads combined.

Of course the Guy In A White Lab Coat™ has a solution for every problem.

Might I suggest Burning Shield Askari? That's strictly superior...

Cut to two kids playing in the living room:
Player A taps a Forest.

Ugh...what's with these kids today? His lands are right in front of him instead of towards the center of the table. How are your creatures supposed to attack your opponent with no land for them to travel across? Second, he had two lands in a pile but tapped only one. PLEASE stop that! People, keep lands unpiled unless you need table space...and if you have two in one pile and three in another, tap the two-pile for two mana, not the top two of the three pile. Surprise, when you turn half the pile, the other half tries to go with it.

Knock Knock at the door, who is it? Al Gore...no...close. It's our goblin friend. He puts Giant Growth on the stack, apparently with Player A's mana, inflates a little, and throws Player A through the coffee table.

Ok, now the game logic breaks down. First, GG on a Hero is a 5/5. Juzam Djinn and Blastoderm will tell you that a 5/5 does not fit in a doorway, heck, a 5/5 doesn't fit in your house. That goblin might have felt an Agressive Urge, maybe...Second, Player A didn't even get a chance to fight back. He should have at least broken a chair over GH's head. GG doesn't give First Strike. Maybe Player A has 0 power.

The Guy In A White Lab Coat™ asks if that solved his problem.

Roll sales pitch and fade to next ad.

-=-
Better than the old ads, but we still have a way to go. I still miss the guitar. Things are looking up though. More ads mean more people asking about it, which begets more players which begets more stores, which begets lower prices. Hooray!

B

Baskil

(Being a fan of really, really terrible cinema)I kind of appreciate the campiness of them. Of course, it's kind of lame (Who plays with Goblin Hero... Anyone ever heard of Granite Gargoyle, Sedge Troll, Uthden Troll, Enslaved Scout, Desert Nomads, Wild Colos, Mage il-Vec, Orc General, Ghitu Fire-Eater, any Askari Knight, Blaster Mage, Goblin Cavaliers, Minataur Warrior and Goblin Chariot(which are common in the same set Hero is rare!!!), Convulsing Licid, Opportunist, Barbed Sliver, Hurloon Wrangler, Goblin Spelunkers, Guma, Dwarven Vigilantes, Suq'Ata Lancer, Laccolith Grunt, Arc Mage, Fault Riders, Hooded Kavu, Slimy Kavu, (continues to rambe on as he walks away))

A

arhar

Originally posted by Hetemti

Ugh...what's with these kids today? His lands are right in front of him instead of towards the center of the table. How are your creatures supposed to attack your opponent with no land for them to travel across? Second, he had two lands in a pile but tapped only one. PLEASE stop that! People, keep lands unpiled unless you need table space...and if you have two in one pile and three in another, tap the two-pile for two mana, not the top two of the three pile. Surprise, when you turn half the pile, the other half tries to go with it.

Looks like someone needs a hug.

R

Riva Iron-Grip

i agree with you hetemti, the ads are hella corny. The only time that i see the ad is during wrestling. and most little kids i know are usually in bed by that time anyways. i also konw that kids do not get into magic because of ads. i had several kids into magic from pokemon, but then when he didn't come over to learn some new strats i found out that he was playing pokemon again. Little kids just dont stick with it. i think it's because our generation is stuck on med-evil items(i.e. D&D, Magic, the sort) and their generation is stuck in futuristic fantasy. it sort of pisses me off because now the only worthy players to my decks are either older players who have better cards, or guys at tournaments that i dont see alot.

V

Volradon

Originally posted by Riva Iron-Grip
it sort of pisses me off because now the only worthy players to my decks are either older players who have better cards, or guys at tournaments that i dont see alot.
Make new decks. DUH!!!!! :D

N

nodnarb24

BATTLE BOTS RULE!!! I see the ad all the time on comedy central.

T

theorgg

Personally, I like the "campy" ads.

It might be because the first one featured me, but then again...

The first ad was almost 'mystical' and kinda spooky.

That scared parents away from the game and labeled it as "evil" because it didn't really look like somthing they wnat their 12 year old playing. It also looked stupid to the 12-16 yr crowd taht the new commercials cater to.

And yes, I realized that the hero normally wouldn't be able to do what he did and would've been smaller.

However two things you didn't notice: The goblin tries to open a thing of nuts. Thus, since a 1/1 Benalish hero can tear open a somthing with nuts innit, the goblin must have had weakness cast upon it; The guy was playing a G/B deck and had enchanted Sprazzen Raider with Instill energy. a bit of inside joke there... Since the least intellegent things in Magic are Kobolds, Phrexian walker and Ornithopters(all w/ no brains) that kid must be a 0/1. That explains why he didn't fight back. Since a magical spell somtimes effects bodies unevenly, mabe the hero got a misplaced "Giant Growth" effect thus didn't get all the highth that he should've. Remember this: Wildfire Emissiary is the size of a Saint Branard. why wouldn't a 3/4 fit into a door?

A

Apollo

Well, I can't argue with that logic.

Anyway, I think the commercials are pretty lousy, and make the game seem silly. I think that the people that would enjoy it are turned off by the silliness, and those that like the silliness won't enjoy the game (since it is not really silly; mostly serious). I think that the commercials misrepresent the game, and attract the wrong crowd.

N

Namielus

I say, why don't they put more pictures of women wearing less clothing, that will got more players be the 1000s. And I know what your gonna say, that isn't why I play magic... Cmon eye isn't a bad thing unless you loose content. Quake3 is a good example of this, I purcassed that game cause it looks damn fine. And I think that if magic was marketed to a 'more adult' audiance that it would get more players...
That is so much bull sh!t...

WoTC wants the pokemon players to have an easier time to step up to magic, and if they sell it better to the age that will be dropping pokemon, they will have a lot of players for magic.

Its simple logic, steping up that HUGE BOON of pokemon players to magic.