Activated Abilities

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by cbearsbro, Jan 19, 2001.

1. cbearsbro Nightwing

Can you block, stop, or otherwise counter an activated ability? Or is it pretty much a given that once it's activated, there's no stopping what's gonna happen. Like Anaba Shaman, Benalish Trapper, etc....

I read somewhere that the effect of some like the ability to search for a rebel or whatever would still happen even if you were to kill the summoner after the ability was activated. So, I'm curious if you could prevent any activated ability from following through to the eventual conclusion.
  2. Riva Iron-Grip da Kandy Man

there are 2 ways i believe. one, you can tap it. or you can play a bind.(rare from invasion). tapping it prevents it from tapping it for the ability, if need be. i dont think that you can kill it. since it's already tapped
  3. Y The Alien Deity

Tapping the creature is useless as the tap is part of the cost. They're already tapped by the time you can respond. Assuming the ability isn't played as a sorcery, the only way to stop activated abilities is Bind and Interdict. And Cursed Totem :D.
  4. Zadok001 CPA Founder, Greater Good

The Silver Rule of Magic:

Removing the source of an effect does not remove the effect.

i.e., you can't Shock a Prodigal Sorceror in response to it's ability to keep the damage from happening.
  5. cbearsbro Nightwing

So, if I tapped a trap runner BEFORE my opponent activates it's ability, say during my first main phase when I have priority, it's ability AUTOMATICALLY activates and they can say an unblocked creature is tapped when I attack? :confused:
  6. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

Simply tapping a creature with an ability (of another creature) does not activate its ability.

SO if you tap an opponent's Trap Runner, he'd have to use it's ability in response. Normally this is legal, but in Trap Runner's case, you can effectively shut it off since that particular ability can only be played during Declare Blockers.
  7. cbearsbro Nightwing

So, they could still "activate" the ability even if they were tapped by me if being tapped was part of the activation cost? Interesting.

Thanks for the clarification of the trap runner. I used the tap him before he could do anything move with my Stalking Assassin and wanted to know if that was legal :)
  8. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

They could activate the creature's ability in response to you tapping the creature.
    Once it's already tapped (that is, after the tapping ability has resolved) it's too late.
  9. cbearsbro Nightwing

Yep. Gotcha. If I do the tapping the could still activate it in response. If they tapped and activated it first, my tapping it would be useless..... Then again, so would my tapping it first unless it is like the trap runner where it's a conditional activated ability and I tap it before the condition is met.... :eek: Is that confusin or what :D
  10. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

You got it!

Confusing? No... it's just something you get used to. Those timing rules, I mean.