Academy Rector question

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Jigglypuff, Jul 4, 2001.

1. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

Hi!

Academy Rector
    When ~this~ is put into a graveyard from play, you may remove ~this~ from the game. If you do... blah blah

So if my Rector goes to the graveyard, can my opponent Cremate the Rector after the triggered ability goes on the stack or is the Rector removed from the game as a cost of the ability?

Thanks!
    (- Jigglypuff -)
  2. EricBess Active Member

Rector is removed from play as part of the triggered effect. As far as I know, there is no such thing as a triggered ability with a "cost". Remember, costs are what you pay when you put the ability on the stack.

Triggered abilities such as Rector are worded, when <something happens>, <do something>. If you do <something happens>.

So, when Academy Rector goes to the graveyard, the ability triggers and goes on the stack. When it resolves, you decide if you want to remove the Rector from the game. If you do, you get to search your library, etc.

Note, however, that if the Rector is no longer in the graveyard, you still resolve the ability, but there is no way for you to remove it from the game, so you will never be able to do the "if you do..." part.