Abundance/Sylvan Library

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Killer Joe, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Killer Joe Active Member

Okay, it used to be that everyone automatically knew how and why the combo worked and I never had to explain myself about it.

Now, I can't seem to justify how it works and my new play group wants me to lose 4 life for each extra card I'm drawing.

Can one of you explain it in 'laymans' terms so that even a newbie could understand the combo?

....pppppleeeeeeeese?

Thanks in advance :)
    ~O
  2. NorrYtt Casual Green Mage

The combo and problem stems from the incredibly poor wording of Sylvan Library. Mirri's Guile is the clean (and powered-down) version that does what Sylvan Library originally intended.

Sylvan Library allows you to draw two extra cards with a condition - pay 4 life or put a card draw this turn back on top.

Abundance replaces drawing a card with revealing for a land or nonland.

Basically, you are replacing your normal draw and both Sylvan Library draws with three Abundance-Reveals. Since you never actually "drew" any of these cards, you are exempt from Sylvan Library's condition.

Abundance can also prevent you from taking damage from Underworld Dreams, getting locked by Zur's Weirding, and decking yourself with an empty library.

Sylvan Library 1G
    Enchantment
    At the beginning of your draw step, you may draw two cards. If you do, choose two cards in your hand drawn this turn. For each of those cards, pay 4 life or put the card on top of your library.

Abundance 2GG
    Enchantment
    If you would draw a card, you may instead choose land or nonland and reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a card of the chosen kind. Put that card into your hand and put all other cards revealed this way on the bottom of your library in any order.