About the proposed Sliver set...

W

Whimsical

Mister Rancor sir has asked me nicely to help with that massive 3 page thread regarding the proposed Sliver set. After spending around 30 minutes reading and thinking (that's a new experience for me!) ... I have a few questions.

One.
Storyline of this set? Making cards is nice and dandy, but without a concrete storyline to fall back on for inspirations, we're just making cardboard here. From the posts though, I've managed to gather vague hints of storyline ... that of the sliver homeplane of Riftwood and the Sanct artificer group (need a better name for them IMHO). Are you people proposing an invasion of the Sanct from Riftwood? Or vice-versa? I guess it goes without saying that this is going to be a serious storyline...

Two.
I've been out of touch with Magic for a while now. Please explain the kicker mechanics to silly moi. The artificer mechanic sounds interesting but I think it needs playtesting to make sure it doesn't break cards (imagine that mechanic in a Classic Type I deck with Sol Rings and Mana Vaults!). I agree with Mister Rancor that the mechanics in this set should be pared down ... banding is too much of headache. Perhaps you should post exactly what game mechanics can be used in the proposed set, Mister Rancor sir?

I guess these are the two main concerns when trying to design a Magic set from ground up.

By the bye ... I've noticed some of the proposed cards tend to use place names from previous sets. There's a serious need for a storyline and world-setting so as to avoid this.

Whew. All this seriousness reminds me too much of work...

Anyways. On a lighter note. Since that thread about legends is running, perhaps there's a way to combine that and the proposed Sliver set? I'm thinking that the Sanct are something akin to a band of heroes ... namely us! <wicked grin> Can you people see the possibilities?!

Oh, wait. That means I have to be a bad guy (or girl as the case may be), seeing as I'm a Sliver Legend and all. <sob, sob>

Oh, well. Time to start editing those proposed cards... Ave morituri...

[Edited by Whimsical on August 23rd, 2000 at 01:57 PM]

F

FoundationOfRancor

We do have a basic sketch for a storyline, I will pm it to you. The kicker mechanic is new to the invasion set. Example

Casey is cool U
1/1
Kicker-1U
If you paid the kicker cost when this dude comes into play, put a +1+1 counter on it and it gains flying

See, its just makes a card more flexible for early in the game and later in the game (when yoiu can pay the kicerk cost)

Okay, here are the mechanics we can use
Flanking
Shadow (Only one card though, and i've already made it:(
Buyback
Echo
Cycling
Fading
ACC
trample
rampage
rebel
mercenary
licids
charms
sleeping stuff
perpetual stuff
tap land abilite (PY)

Basically every thing besides banding and phasing. (too confusing!)

Yes, the already used name is a problem!

Anyway, im extremely thankful for your help whimsical, and anyone elses who wants to join!

W

Whimsical

Mister Rancor sir told me about the basic storyline of the proposed Sliver set ... I must say that while it's cute, it leaves a lot of holes (most of them in the world zone).

Can you guys help out and apply your awesome creative geniuses in creating place names? Help would be appreciated here...

This might belong in the voter board, but I think it's more at home here at the home-cooked cards...

On a side note, could you people please vote on the cards you want to see reprinted here? And no, I don't think our adorable 1BB Hyppie is going to make the cut. ^_^ I'm not really sure about the exact original to reprint ratio in this set ... but I'd like to hear your voices on the matter.

Uh, make it 10 cards you wish to be reprinted per voter, 'kay? While it's kinda funny to say you want the entire Unglued set reprinted ... be real. ^_^

F

FoundationOfRancor

Well I would like to either reprint or remake these cards

earthquake
shock
shivan

counterspell
propaganda
air elemental

dark ritual
dark banishing
sengir