A not-so-nice blue deck

T

Taysir

This is a blue pure beatdown deck I'm working on. I require the advice of Gizmo, as long as it is not to go black.

18x Island
4x Coastal Tower
4x Adarkar Wastes
4x Rootwater Thief
4x Jolting Merfolk
4x Galina's Knight
4x Lord of Fish
4x Indentured Djinn
4x Fog Elemental
3x Air Elemental
3x Arrest
2x Wave of Reckoning

It has not been tested because I have not the rare fish cards, but it seems sound. Where are the holes?

L

Landkiller

It seems to me that the deck is too focused. You have only 5 cards for removal of creatures, that's not enough. Also, there is no enchantment/artifact removal. You are playing blue, there are various counterspells you could try. See what you need. Maybe Annul?

Fog Elemental is not that good. It could be replaced.

K

krichaiushii

If you want to beatdown with blue, use blue's larger creatures with flying (just hold counters for the inevitable Hurricane(s)).

You have not specified what type, nor if its for multiplayer or duelling, so I will presume multiplayer, type casual... ;)

Mahamoti Djinn is your first step. He'll even survive your splashed Wave of Reckoning (unlike your other creatures).

If you keep things blue and white, though, you'll need artifact mana to speed things up a tad. I recommend Sol Ring, Mana Vault(s), or the Thran equivalent to the Mana Vault.

Air Elementals are decent, and easy to get ahold of, so they should stay. Though not terribly huge, the card drawing of the Thieving Magpie should not be overlooked. Nor should the library manipulation of the Spire/Sage Owls (plus they are early drops).

Cloudskates come out early, though they fade... but timely Unstable Mutations render that moot.

So we come to...

4x Mahamoti Djinn
4x Air Elemental
4x Theiving Magpie
4x Cloudskate
4x Spire/Sage Owl

4x Unstable Mutation
4x Counterspell
4x Forbid
4x Unsummon or Seal of Removal
4x Thran mana generator (costs 4, makes 3 when tapped)
1x Sol Ring

16x Island
4x Faerie Conclave

For a total of 61 cards, though mono blue. Splashing for white would require the removal of blue utility (I recommend 1x Forbid, 1x Counterspell for 2x Waves of Reckoning, and 2x Unsummon/Seal of Removal for 2x Disenchant variant of your preference. To support it, replace 1x Faerie Conclave and 2x Islands with 3x Coastal Tower).

Most of your creatures will die to a Wave of Reckoning, but the Magpies and Djinns live through it, to deal damage, accordingly...

Maybe that helps?

T

Taysir

This was actually a t2 deck... I would never use Fog Elementals in another non-Limited format.

G

Griffith_se

...Let Me give it a shot. Evil fish is the best Fish deck in T2, but I'm going to stay with the colors You choose.

1. drop to 24 land. I'd drop 2 Towers.

2. drop all the fliers, add 4 Merfolk of the PT.
   Not a bad first turn drop.

3. You have Wave of Reckoning, but only Your Thief
   can survive it, so how about Angelic Sheild (gives all Your creatures +0/+1 and You can sac it to Bounce a Creature).
   and/or Wings of Hope ( gives flying and +1/+3 for WU)?

4. Use some counters, Counterspell, and Absorb.

5. Parallax Wave = Good removal even if its only temporary.

6. It's Kind of expensive, but You could consider Teferi's Moat

Hope that was of some help.

[Edited by Griffith_se on 11-20-00 at 10:01 AM]

R

rkoelsch

I would fine some room for the counterspells.
the angelic shield is a good idea
Fog Elementals are only bad if the opponent has small fliers. If not the other play trades a large flyer for the FE or consider it 4 damage for 3cc not bad for a beatdown deck.

D

Duel

The holes in this deck are as follows: Lack of a definite kill method, Oversupply of mana, and lack of removal. To patch up all three, I'd either use aggro-w/u or make you fish deck b/u (see the thread about fish). Lastly, You can make it mono-blue. That's the choice I took, and have the mono-blue and w/u decks here:

6x Plains
8x Island
4x Coastal Tower
4x Adarkar Wastes
4x Rootwater Thief
4x Galina's Knight
4x Lord of Fish
3x Air Elemental
4x Stormscape apprentice
2x Teferi's moat
3x Alexi's cloak
4x topple (afterlife or arrest would also work)
2x Story Circle
4x Absorb (foil works)
4x Counterspell

And just plain blue:

4 Lord of Atlantis
4 Merfolk of the pearl trident
4 Air elemental
4 counterspell
4 Foil
4 rethink
4 Boomerang
4 Wash out
3 saprazzan heir
3 Darting merfolk
2 Dream thrush

20 Islands

For both decks I avoided using two tempting cards: Tangle wire and rishadan port. They're too expensive for my tastes.