A not-at-all-casual question...

P

PTQ

What is the key to winning the Counter-Rebel mirror match?

Also, why does anyone hardly ever respond when I ask for deck help and advice?

And don't tell me to go to a non-casual message board, either. I like it here, and you all know just as much as they do, without being jerks and scum bags.

D

Daenen

Well, I have a suggestion. I have never played CounterRebel, nor do I expect to in the near future. However, whenever I played Ponza in a Mirror Match, I performed a side-board switcheroo. That, my fello Magic players, is where you put almost the entire sideboard into your deck. This changes the purpose and composition of your deck enough so that the four cards that your opponent just sided in against you will do nothing.

Then again, I could be completely wrong. Try it in some casual games, and see how it works.

M

Mikeymike

I'm going to assume a lot of people here haven't played the CounterRebel mirror match (or CounterRebel at all) so why don't you try posting the decklist you're going to use with the current sideboard. Include your version and a total netdeck version, this will make your sideboard construction easier by finding the netdeck's weaknesses.

Don't worry about not getting responses to your tourney decks, I post Multiplayer decks all the time and I don't get that many responses either ;). Also, try commenting on other player's decks more. You do good for someone chances are they'll return the favor for you.

G

Gizmo

Rebel Informer is undoubtedly the key card. I`ve played many mirror matches where both players only cast a single spell - first turn Sergeant - then simple Chain around to win. The winner is usually the guy who gets Informer active with 6 mana available, the only thing tat can happen then is that your opponent has to try to Wrath your Informer away and that should be very difficult to do apst your countermagic.

Sivvi is important, because she recurs, but the Informer is how you win (and he also recurs).

Important mirror techniques:

Last Breath (you can play a strategy of attempting targetted removal on his early chainers, thus only one player gets an active chain)

Dominate (similar, but lategame. Typically combined with a Wrath strategy, where you Wrath then Domiante the chainer they play immediately after)

Wrath Of God (natch)

Mageta, The Lion (Trumps Wrath and virtually all other cards. weakness is his casting cost.)

Any non-white removal you can hit their Informer with. For instance I experimented with Stand/Deliver as it could save my guys from Rages, and also rebound Informer into my opponent`s hand in the mirror. In the end I found it too situational to be viable in CRebels (a deck very dependent on having strong cards at all times), but the idea still exists.

P

PTQ

Hmmm... I never thought of bounce before. But then again, they can just brain-storm the informer back in.

I was thinking, maybe Seal of Removal? It would be a safe bet that they would remove thier enchantment removal for the second game as I run 4 Wrath, 2 Route and no Waves. And who is going to waste a counter on a 1st or second turn seal?

At any rate, I got some good ideas now, thanks a lot.

Z

Zadok001

In the games I've play, Mageta is the deciding force. Usually, both players go through the process of searching equally early on. Then a two-fold battle takes place - Sivvi and Informer superiority.

In the Sivvi war, things like Parallax Wave, Last Breath, and even Flicker (saw that as 'tech' once, it wasn't too good) come into play in an effort to make your opponent's Sivvi's less useful. Each player must make the conscious choice to search for either Sivvi or Informer - He who picks the Informer is often the more successful, but Sivvi can be key if Informer equality has somehow been achieved (i.e., two Last Breaths or running Waves with Informers under them).

Eventually, the player who wins the game plays Mageta with at least 1 counterspell for backup (often a Misdirection to make sure). If the Mageta loses summoning sickness, the game is essentially over. Splat.

G

Gizmo

He who picks the Informer is often the more successful, but Sivvi can be key if Informer equality has somehow been achieved (i.e., two Last Breaths or running Waves with Informers under them).
I`d like to see that game, seeing as Rebel Informer cannot be targetted by white spells of effects.

If Mageta comes down he pretty much rules the board, but it`s very hard to get him down in the mirror as your opponent will always have more mana (and therefore countermagic) available you have tapped WW3. And once he`s down the opponent will probably at least choose to reset with Wrath, rather than let Mageta do his thang.