a few questions

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by immortal grave walker, Oct 31, 2000.

1. 1. What would the converted mana cost be on dominateing a chimiric idol?

2.If I have a spiritual focus in play and my opponent cast a stupor do I draw one card or two, and do I gain 4 life? Since the stupor is one spell.

3. THis might be a stupid question, however,can you power sink a urzas rage?
  2. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

1. 3 (why do you have a question on this?)

2. Good question. I would say gain 4 life and draw two cards, but I'm not sure.

3. No.
  3. Gizmo Composite: 1860

1. 3, the Chimeric Idol is still a 3cc artifact creature.

2. Gain 4 life. Althouhg it is only one sepll, Spiritual Focus triggers not on a spell, but on you being made to discard a card. As Stupor makes you discard a card twice, the Focus kicks in twice.

3. Yes. You cannot counter the spell with a Power Sink, but you CAN force your opponent to pay x or tap out all his lands. Similarly you can Absorb a Rage to gain 3 life.
  4. In response to the first question is because the idol becomes a creature 3 is the cost of the artifact,at the point you cast the idol its not a creature.
  5. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

I.G.W.: Converted mana cost is always the number of mana in the top right hand corner. It doesn't matter if it's a creature or artifact (or enchantment, etc). Thus lands have 0, for instance.

Gizmo: Really? I would have thought Rage would be an invalid target for counters. Oops, never mind, just read the FAQ for it...
  6. Ristik New Member

On the subject of trying to counter uncounterables, I have annoyed many a panicky red mage by trying to Thwart, Thwart, Daze an Obliterate...
  7. Spiderman: Thanks for clearying that up. I was just wondering on the dominate when something becomes a creature.

Even though the Rage can't be counterd, and you cast a power sink for lets say one more mana and your opponant doesn't have one open mana wouldn't the spell fizzle?
  8. Ristik New Member

Here is the story on What Happens When You Try To Counter Urza's Rage:

The counterspell resolves, and it says, "I can't counter this! But let's do all this other fun stuff I can do!" Therefore, Dismiss and Disrupt draw their cards, Thwart and Daze let you bounce the lands, and Power Sink taps stuff.