A Dark Ritual replacement

W

Wizard2000

Well... Ritual is gone from extended and I'm about 100% certain it won't be reprinted in any future sets. I had originally thought this was a horrible thing, but as the shock settles and I look at what changes it will make... I think it was a good move.

Ritual may be gone, but we need something to replace it! The key to the ritual was the blazing speed. First turn Necro and Negators are not very fun to play against... so we need a slower NOT weaker Ritual.

What about this :

Intense Ritual - Common
B1
Instant
Remove Intense Ritual from the game and get BBB or BBBB.
Flavor Text : Uhm.. yeah.

This card would be nearly impossible to cast on turn 1. It would also give you the option of taking BBB instead of BBBB if you are at risk of taking mana burn from the extra B.

Feel free to tell me what you think.

G

Gumby Khan

Pretty good, but we need the black flavor in it, too. Sacrifice. How about;

Intense Ritual - Common
B1
Instant
Choose one; Lose 4 life; put BBBB in your mana pool or Sacrifice a creature; put BBB in your mana pool
Flavor Text : Ouch! That hurts, but I kinda like it..."

W

Wizard2000

Uhm... I don't think that would work.. too much of a negative.

W

Wizard2000

How about this?

Intense Ritual
B1
Choose one :
Add BB2 to your mana pool (doubles the input casting cost)
OR
Sacrifice a creature and add BBBB to your mana pool

If someone used it to play Necro they would lose one life unless they found a B cost weenie. It could also be used for Juzam (like we have those) and other BB2 creatures. Oh well :)

A

arhar

Hmm.. I think Intense Ritual is not really weaker than Dark Ritual.. C'mon - first turn Swamp + Mox Diamond...

C

Chaos Turtle

Uhm, arhar, Swamp-Mox Diamond uses 3 cards, not even counting the Ritual. That's huge.
If Dark Ritual gets left out of future standalones, expect it to be replaced with a BB for B instant, or a BBB for B1. A modal version might be interesting, but very unlikely.

D

Dune Echo

Hey Wizard2000, hate to burst your bubble, but one of your versions has already been made. The sacrifice one is called Culling the Weak from Exodus.

W

Wizard2000

Yeah yeah.. I knew that.

How about this all you unsatisfied CPA members? :)

Gradual Ritual
B1
Add BBB to your mana pool.
Add B to your mana pool for each Gradual Ritual card in all graveyards.
Flavor text : The great wizard reached the climax of the incantation, then promptly imploded.

D

Duel

I would prefer a card like this:
Night Incantations
BB
Instant
Add BBB to your mana pool. When Night incantations is cast, you may sacrifice any number of permanents. Add B to your mana pool for each permanent sacrificed this way.

But, because the secret to black is speed, I'd prefer one like

Whiplash
B
Instant
Sacrifice a swamp to add BBB to your mana pool.

W

Wizard2000

Duel.. they banned the ritual to eliminate first turn negators and first turn necro. Your ritual replacement would counter everything they did. :)

Nice thought though!

G

Gumby Khan

Hey, I like your Gradual Ritual, kinda mimics the Kindle/Accumalated Knowledge instants. I think though it should read;

Gradual Ritual
B
Add BB to your mana pool and an additional
B for each Gradual Ritual card in all graveyards.
Flavor text : The mage started slow, but with much sweat and perserverance, he managed to summon the elusive Plague Beetle!

IMHO (oooh, Yellowjacket, I finally used it, too!) :)

W

Wizard2000

I like your idea better Gumby. I think that would be a cool card. You could use that for the Skittering Skirge on turn 1. Not as mean as the negator, but still leaves Black in a speed position. It would not allow first turn Necro which is always good!

G

GreenGiant

Why dont you just forget the hole damn card and get kyrin toys or some other land that can produce alot of mana (not on first turn though)

O

Ophidian

Personally, I've always thought Culling the Weak was better than dark ritual. But when I saw Preist of Gix for the first time, it was final. Culling the Weak rules with priest

G

Gryphonclaw

Okay, when I read the first version of gradual ritual I immediately thought of Gumby's version, I like it, and I don't play black.

Culling of the weak is a good version of dark ritual, not really better, but great variation.