A comparison: CPA vs. Other Site

• Thread starter Budget Player Cadet
  • Start date
B

Budget Player Cadet

I'm putting this here just to see some of the differences between CPA and other sites.

Between CPA and Gleemax: CPA is much friendlier. You will never get 'sniped'(post something relevant to above post and find someone got there first; now you're calling the theory that calls the bull**** theory bull****) on CPA. The Mods are WAY friendlier. The environment isn't as hostile to a certain canned meat. CPA actually accepts articles.

Gleemax's only real perks are that there are more people (I mean by factors of ten here) and a couple of others, but the only one I could think of that don't tie into the 'more people' thing is that they host a big, spammy, april fools bash that has officially beat off christmas as my favorite holiday.

What about other forum sites?

B

Budget Player Cadet

Well, you're a mod, so that's pretty normal (I love this, but I'm guessing it would lose some of its luster when I had to do it): They're too much like your job.

M

Modus Pwnens

I'm also semi-active on a dutch magicsite. It's pretty much like this, only less magic going on (as most people have met each-other in real life and played a game there). It's also a lot more competitive, as most dutch pro's post there as well.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
There are other sites???? Thrashman you have been lying to me.....
No, wait, i have gone to other sites...... yeah now I remember....
MTGSavation is just too big to participate in anything, since in 2-3 hours your last post is so far down the list it's almost lost.... but it is good to look things up on... well it used to be, but I haven't gone there in at least a year or two.

GASP forumns are mostly for announcements of the upcoming live monthly games, but there is a few threads that I read there......

The MTG WoTC site is too big for me to be there other than to read a little.....

Killer Joe

The Magic websites with forums that I've been to have a large number of 13 - 22 year olds there. What that frequently amounts to is a lot "I'm better than YOU, scrub!" attitude. Whatever.

Look at our ages and find the 'mean', I bet it's in the high 20's somewhere. A much more mature and friendlier age group.

I remember one time I posted somewhere (Gleemax maybe?) and I was talking about how "sharks" like to pick on "newbies" on MTGO in regards to trading and such. I was saying how unfair it is and that folks ought to be careful with who they trade/play with. Well, I got a very unfriendly reply from a member who called ME a shark and said how he hated guys like me who pick on "newbies" and then kindly wished me to die....... :confused:

An older guy? I think NOT!!!!! :rolleyes:

I haven't the time nor the interest to deal with 'kiddies' whose Moms buy thier love via P9 cards.

Next!

E

EricBess

I know a lot of people have said that we need to recruit and get larger, but I agree with some of the sentiments expressed. I think that we may be a small community, but we are a tigher community than most websites where they are just too big to really participate.

Personally, I check the CPA once or twice a day and spend maybe 5 to 10 minutes when I do. If I had to spend an hour each time I checked in just to keep up, I would have to leave it behind.

Don't get me wrong, I think we could easily double or triple the number of active people we have. I just wouldn't want us to get to the point where we have over 100 active members and it's impossible to keep up with any reason.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Like others have said, the CPA is nice because it's a small site, so it's easy to keep up with everything that's said and who everyone is. I like the community, the posters are friendly and anyone at all can get something put up on the front page. The last reason is really the one that made me come here in the first place. I think I had been writing for a few months before I even discovered the message board, thinking all discussions took place in the comments after the articles.

However, sometimes that's not for everyone on every occasion. The only other forum I visit with any kind of regularity is MTGS, just because it's so active. Sometimes I'm out of things to do at work and just want to putz around for an hour, so I'll go and read one of their debate threads for a while. There's a lot of smart, articulate kids on that site that have some interesting things to say. And although I only ever visit the Debate and Water Cooler (and occasionally MTGNews) forums there, it's got a lot of other things that appeal to other people. The clan system is really neat and forms tighter-knit groups inside the larger community. There are also a lot of talented people that will make you an avatar or banner if you just ask them to. They have discussions for all types of Magic players and all formats and hold design-a-card contests, writings contests, and fiction contests. So it's a lot easier to find something to participate in. The downside is that if you really want to contribute, you have to spend a lot of time on the site to read through all the comments that pour into every thread. The plus side, is that if you want advice or opinions, you're going to get a lot of responses.

The most disappointing thing about the CPA is that there just isn't enough feedback. The only thing that's constantly updated is the Forum Games thread, which really only appeals to the people playing the game. I'm always disappointed when I come here and there's nothing new. I think, ideally, I'd like to see around 50 active members here. I think that'd be enough to keep things fresh and interesting, but not too many that every thread gets washed away within an hour.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Here here,,,, EB, I so much agree. I just want enough people to keep my interest and let me game.....

I am glad that the people here feel it is worth their time to invest a few (to many) minutes a day here.....

Someday, Eric Bess we will meet at an UDE event or one of the big cons......

R

Rakarth

I prefer smaller communities because it feels more close knit, as has been said above. The CPA really is a casual place, you can wander by a few times a day and someone will have posted a few things and you can peruse at your leisure.

It's very different to a forum I joined when I played 40K :) if I missed just a single day then the next day I was on, every forum on it would have 10-15 replies and it would take hours to read which is why I left, it was no longer enjoyable.

The CPA feels more like a conversation than a debate. Everybody gets to weigh in and say what they want.

It's a very casual place :)

Rakarth

D

DarthFerret

Cheer...whoop and hollar, and yay!

Oh wait...er..I agree with the last 3-4 posts. Almost to a tee!

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Mooseman said:
There are other sites???? Thrashman you have been lying to me.....
Don't listen to him, MM. There are no other sites. Go back to your room and sit in your corner

Ransac, cpa trash man

B

Budget Player Cadet

Rakarth said:
I prefer smaller communities because it feels more close knit, as has been said above. The CPA really is a casual place, you can wander by a few times a day and someone will have posted a few things and you can peruse at your leisure.

It's very different to a forum I joined when I played 40K :) if I missed just a single day then the next day I was on, every forum on it would have 10-15 replies and it would take hours to read which is why I left, it was no longer enjoyable.

The CPA feels more like a conversation than a debate. Everybody gets to weigh in and say what they want.

It's a very casual place :)

Rakarth
And that just about sums up why I love this place: you all have become something in the art of online friends for me (now I just need friends in real life, and I'll be all set...).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, believe me, I wish we had more people who talked/dissected/analyzed Magic more, just to keep ME in the loop on cards and stuff, but it seems after our exodus of 2001/2002, there just hasn't been any replacements.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Killer Joe said:
The Magic websites with forums that I've been to have a large number of 13 - 22 year olds there. What that frequently amounts to is a lot "I'm better than YOU, scrub!" attitude. Whatever.
Hey! :mad:

B

Budget Player Cadet

Mooseman said:
He said large number of 13 - 22 year olds, not large 13 - 22 year olds.... :D
Har-d-Har Har. Do you know what it's like to weigh 200 pounds at 14? No?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Budget Player Cadet said:
Har-d-Har Har. Do you know what it's like to weigh 200 pounds at 14? No?
No, but I do know what it is like to be 208lbs at 46....(should be 170 - 180)

B

Budget Player Cadet

Oh...

^ = Is overweight
< = Is morbidly obese, considering his height
v = Isn't as Phat as <