A bolt of lightning has struck my brain...

G

galtwish

With the probable elimination of fast mana and turn 3-4 combos in Standard come October, Big Green might have a place. More importantly, two key cards may make a splash in constructed play; Bifurcate and Pack Hunt:

4 Llanowar Elves
2 Birds of Paradise
4 River Boa
4 Uktabi Orangutan
4 Bifurcate
2 Pack Hunt
4 Blastoderm
4 Rushwood Elemental
4 Chimeric Idol
4 Tangle Wire
4 Rishadan Port
3 Dust Bowl
17 Forest

Taking advantage of the nearly guaranteed influx of multi-color decks due to all the gold spells and multilands in Invasion, and the lack fast decks (Fog or some variant in the SB if necessary as well as at least 4 tranquility effect cards). And let us not forget the joy of beating down your opponent with 2 Rushwood Elementals at a time. Additionally, there are minor synergies with Tangle Wire and the "Elves", Tangle Wire and the Idols, Boas and the Wire, etc (regeneration shields). There is also the rumor of a 1/2 Yzavimaya Granger w/o echo in Invasion, who would surely see play in this deck as well.
In addition, Blue might make an excellent splash for Pirates, Bouncers, Barriers, or Extravagant Spirits. Red, possibley, Black, possibly (although the addition of Wumpus would necessitate the reworking of the creature base), and Whire very likely. White could bring Devout Witness, Blinding Angel, Parallax Wave, and Armageddon, while substituting Maro for Rushwood Elemental. Two Maros and about as good as two Elementals with no land on the board.

Erik

P

plaguelord2000

looka like aa good deck might want to drop the ports and go MBC for a few games to prepaire for the the new T2

R

Riva Iron-Grip

looks ok. but i think in invasion you might want to use black or red.

G

galtwish

Plaguelord2000,
Port will most likely not be banned for some time, if at all. There is no evidence that it is dominating the environment any more than Icy Manipulator, Winter Orb, or Rancor have dominated the environment. Environment defining is different than environment dominating. This deck needs it, and in addition of Tangle Wire and Elves/Birds, it is a natural threat and actually very necessary as the deck has no other disruption.

Erik

F

FoundationOfRancor

It looks like an awesome deck. However, if the deck your aiming at is to shut down multicolor, I suggest spalshing red. If its a normal beatdown deck, this is great!
In fact, Black and red would make a better combination if you went the way of mana denial. But lets stick with G/R

Red (16)
- 4 Stone Rain
- 4 Pillage
- 4 Shizzerik (or whatever...)
- 2 Keldon Firebombers
- 2 Lesser Garadons

Green (16)
- 4 Creeping Molds (more versatile than sex monkeys)
- 4 Blastoderm
- 4 Birds of Paradise
- 4 Silt Crawler

Artifact (4)
- 4 Tangle Wire

Land
- 4 Port (prob will be in october type II)
- 4 Shivan Oasis
- 3 Dust Bowl
- 7 Forest
- 6 Mountain

F

FoundationOfRancor

Im sorry galtwish, I guess I didnt read your original post very well. YOur original decklist is great! I cannot think of anything better for it except maybe silt crawler and take out some Brigfurcate and sex monkey. I would add 4!

G

Gizmo

Hmm, I really don`t see the point in second-guessing what`s in Invasion.
Personally I fully expect to see at least one turn-4 combo deck in the set as they haven`t really been a problem since MOMA was banned (Bargain is killed by Port, Replenish isn`t really a combo deck, FecCluster is janky) so I don`t think there is any reason to get rid of them at all.

BUT

If we are going to predict a swing towards midgame magic away from the first four turns then surely LD beats all?

D

Duel

I've been a advocate of bifurcate for some time, ut with pack hunt, this deck has the normal problems. IT's viable targets for a hunt are Rushwood elemental, river boa, llanowar elves, and uktabi. Nothing else for the pack hunt to work with.

G

galtwish

Thank you Giz, I am flattered that you critiqued a deck of mine (heh). The deck will probably evolve into the Maro carrying version with 'geddons, due to the high probablity of another game swinging creature worthy of Bifurcating. I think the reason Bifurcate never really caught on was due to the creatures worth copying were good enough by themselves. You don't need 2 Morphlings, Masticores, Wumpi, Lightning Dragons, etc and you can't get Blastoderm. With a Rushwood Elemental, Maro or Serra clone, Bifurcate becomes much more reasonable; they are good alone-but better with two, they are easily removed by black-but two arent, and if the opponent gets enough cards to take out one, they probably can't take out the other due to Armageddon & Tangle Wire limiting their play. Tangle Wire, monkeys, and 'Geddon should be pretty good threats for combo, and Reverent Silence/Tranquil Grove/Disenchant in the SB should be pretty decent for dealing with stronger combo and control mechanisms.
To FoRancor, Silt Crawler is strictly inferior to Trained Armadon in Mono-Green, and I don't need any more 3 drops, as I already have Monkeys, Idols and Wires for that slot. By dropping a Wire on turn 2 or 3, I can set up to play a Blastoderm or Elemental on turn 5 and Geddon+threat on turn 6. If I didn't play Wires, then Armadon's would be good, as I could 'Geddon after I drop a 3/3, but I don't feel that is enough of a threat.
To Duel, I can float mana and Pack Hunt or Bifurcate an Idol as well. If Ravenous Baboons are reprinted (a distinct possibility) I can go get them or Skizzix with a R/G set-up, both of which would be worthy targets for Bifurcate or Pack Hunt.
Thanks for all the input!

Erik

C

Captain Caveman

Erik,

I've been wondering if MaroGeddon type of deck would be any
good. Here are couple of rough ideas I had. I'm sure they
need a lot of work.

4 Maro
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Birds of Paradise
3 River Boa
2 Ancient Hydra

4 Tangle Wire

4 Shock
4 Creeping Mold
3 Earthquake
3 Pact Hunt

8 Forest
5 Mountain
4 Karplusan Forest
4 Invasion Dual Lands(G/R)
3 Rishadan Port
1 Dust Bowl

4 Maro
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Birds of Paradise
3 River Boa
3 Branded Brawlers

4 Chimeric Idol

4 Armageddon
3 Pact Hunt
3 Disenchant
3 Earthquake

8 Forest
4 City of Brass
4 Invasion Dual Lands(G/R)
4 Invasion Dual Lands(G/W)
3 Rishadan Port
1 Dust Bowl

[Edited by Captain Caveman on September 8th, 2000 at 04:14 PM]

G

galtwish

Capt. Caveman, I think you are lloking at some really good decks with Pack Hunt, Maro, and and destruction, but I've got to question most of the rest of your choices. the allied multi lands come into play tapped, slowing your casting of aggresive threats. Playing Elves is great with Geddon, terrible with Earthquake, and Hydra is too fragile in my opinion, unless you are playing Counter-Burn. For a R/G deck, I'd consider the following:
4 Blastoderm
4 Silt Crawler
4 Chimeric Idol
4 Veteran Brawlers
4 River Boa
4 Earthquake
4 Shock
2 Hammer of Bogardan
3 Creeping Mold
4 Tangle Wire
4 Rishadan Port
10 Forest
10 Mountians

But I don't think it can really take advantage of the Pack Hunts or Bifurcates. Maro/Geddon on the other hand, can.
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Maro
4 Chimeric Idol
4 River Boa
3 Pack Hunt
1 Worldly Tutor
4 Armageddon
3 Disenchant
4 Rhystic Lightning
1 Derelor
4 City of Brass
3 Plains
2 Mountians
15 Forest

No Veteran Brawlers, because they are only good after you Geddon and Rhystic Lightning works better then (usually) anyways. Derelor is a great 5th hitter that is resistant to removal, and Tutor sets you up for a great Pack Hunt. I don't think that this deck would really want Bifurcate, as it doesn't help Maro, and the Geddon+Maro+Pack Hunt configuration takes up more than enough 4 slots.

Erik

C

Captain Caveman

Those deck list look a lot better than mine. I had P.Wave
in place of the Earthquake when I wrote out the decklist
but thought that maybe 3CG would be better than G/W. I
should have went with Vine Trellis after I made the change.

I'll be glad when Invasion comes out so we can see what we
have to work with. (Type II and Casual)

Caveman