A 3 damage common, but what the heck.... ?

D

Dune Echo

Okay, I wrote this WAY BACK WHEN, and it's almost funny because I really did not think that when I wrote this article that VOLCANIC HAMMER would seriously be printed.

http://www.magic-singles.com/cpa/article/get.php?action=getarticle&articleid=38

Anyway, I have a question: WHY?

In today's environment, I can understand that Lightning Bolt is extremely powerful because of the emphasis on lengthening the game out. But I don't know a single person, casual or otherwise that doesn't consider Portal to be the ultimate joke to Magic: The Gathering. Personally, I DON'T WANT to see Red's burn degenerate to Portal's watered-down chaff. Please R&D, give us something better. I have seen TONS of viable ideas on message boards. Why can't R&D use some of these in new sets instead of reprinting this stuff?

P

Purple_jester

You actually predicted Volcanic Hammer! Wow!

I can't say that it's too terrible a card, actually, because from a casual player's point of view, a common that inflicts 3 damage for 2 mana is pretty good. In today's environment. There are casual players out there who insist on using T2-legal stuff, despite owning a set of Bolts or Incinerates, and I'm sure they'd love to get there hands on a Volcanic Hammer.

Okay, enough optimism. It doesn't suck, but it isn't that good, either. I'd probably end up playing with Lightning Blasts instead. I guess Kindle was way too powerful for them, huh?

S

Sammy Dead-O

...I wish T2 had better burn right now, too. At least Arc Lightning would have been nice.

With the burn I play right now, though, Volcanic Hammer's sorcery speed isn't a big deal, since I'm normally playing with Idols, anyway. Regeneration is the main drawback, then (vs. Incinerate). For that, though, we have Scorching Lava, which is arguably better than Incinerate against Rebels and Nether Spirit.

The exciting thing about T2 burn for me right now is Thornscape Familiar. As a creature, it's as good as just about anything red can produce in the 2cc slot, and it makes stuff like Volcanic Hammer and Scorching Lava pretty amazing in the environment. I'm looking forward to playing it more.

Good job predicting the Volcanic Hammer, BTW. =)

I

Istanbul

Follow me down the Mana Curve road.

Lightning Bolt is too good, right? R for an Instant, 3 damage.
Add 1, and remove the ability to regenerate...Incinerate just as overpowered, just a little higher on the mana curve.
Now. What can we do for a FAIR 3 damage spell for 1R?

Remove the anti-regeneration? 1R for an Instant, 3 damage? Hmmm. Pretty good.
Turn it into a Sorcery, and you have a Volcanic Hammer.

Volcanic Hammer is two steps down on the power scale. With one step (removing anti-regeneration), they would have evened it out. But by turning it into a sorcery, they actually UNDERpowered it. I'd still like to see the following card:

Magma Hammer 1R
Instant
Magma Hammer deals 3 damage to target creature or player.

Would that *really* be overpowered? I don't think so. C'mon, Wizards! Instant-speed burn, PLEASE!

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Nah, guys. Here's REAL burn!!!!!

NOT THAT CARD!!!!!!
R
Instant
Deal 1 damage to any target creature. It can't regenerate this turn. If the creature dies this turn, BURN THE CARD!!!!! THAT'S RIGHT, BURN IT!!!! BURN IT!!!! BURN IT!!!!

Illus. by: Nancy Kerrigan

Ransac, cpa trash man

Z

Zadok001

I've been somewhat depressed by the new burn spells. WotC has been removing 'Instant' status from a lot of cards. You have to admit, Instants are infinitly better than Sorceries. I mean, Urza's Rage would only be mediocre if it were a sorcery, and March of Souls would be borderline amazing as an Instant. The power is in options.

C

Cateran Emperor

...hence the reason Ghitu Fire is better than Blaze by simple, abject default.

Heh, the "idiot's Fireball"? I'll have to remember that one...

Sigh... so many possibilities for amazing cards-shot. I soooooooooo badly wish Thunderclap read "or player" on it...

A

arhar

I too think burn has been castrated by the WOTC recently, but I think they're actually improving. Urza's Rage, Scorching Lava and Magma Burst are far better cards than abysmal Blaze, Vertigo, Lighting Blast and other feces from 6th edition. And it doesn't matter what they put in 7th as long as we have these :) Good job on predicting it, though :)

A

Apollo

Heh. You're a genius, Dune! I wish you ween't, though; life would be better had you been wrong. The funniest part is, look at the other two cards you predicted:

Cinder Storm--Scorching Wind was in the very next set after you wrote this! The plot thickens...

Scorching Spear--Singe is possibly even worse! Pretty pathetic...

They're listening to you, Dune. Quick, predict the return of Lightning Bolt! Maybe it'll be in Apocalypse...:p

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by Cateran Emperor
...hence the reason Ghitu Fire is better than Blaze by simple, abject default.

Heh, the "idiot's Fireball"? I'll have to remember that one...

Sigh... so many possibilities for amazing cards-shot. I soooooooooo badly wish Thunderclap read "or player" on it...
Well, that's why Ghod made Volcanic Geyser. Instant-speed X spell, with an additional CC of only one red mana.

C

Cateran Emperor

Eh, RR is usually too hampering a cost for a burn spell, particularly in a gold environment where spells are stil played on my own turn. Fire is better than Geyser because of its flexibility.