3000+ threads??

Shoe

Why does it say that there are 3000+ threads in [the deck] forum and there are only 2?

I'm confused

nevermind....the auto settings only show the last 10 days of posts......why is the forums here so dead?

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Shoe;273470 said:
nevermind....the auto settings only show the last 10 days of posts......why is the forums here so dead?
That's because most people rather post threads in the casual fora of SCG and MTGsalvation and get responses like "needs more Tarmogoyf" then post a thread here and have a solid discussion.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I also think the majority of active members here no longer play magic in real life, so they don't have any decks to post or get advice for (me included).

But there may be a couple who are still active and don't post here for deck help for whatever reason.

I'm glad for those who do! ;)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman;273486 said:
Well, I also think the majority of active members here no longer play magic in real life, so they don't have any decks to post or get advice for (me included).
Yeah, I'm sort of in a state of limbo right now. Years ago, my collection and my friend's collection got partially mixed up with each other and then he wanted to sell all of his cards. We tried to even things out, but I ended up with some stuff that wasn't "mine" and lost some stuff that was (every time I think about how I don't have my playset of Diabolic Edict I berate myself for not remedying that--it's not like it's an expensive card).

I still have my collection, but haven't really built decks out if it (I did rebuild my Pestilence deck pretty recently). My friend also made a bid to get back into Magic, but wasn't able to afford it. So he sold me some of the cards he bought (first cards I've bought since 2004) and sold the rest on E-Bay for a profit. He's putting off any further purchases of actual cards, but is recruiting me to help him with deck construction and playtesting over instant messenger. So while I'm still not as active as I was in 2004, I'm a whole lot more active in Magic than I was in 2007. I'm also doing some of my own playtesting with Apprentice. I'm toying with the idea of breaking Dream Halls in Vintage (not going well at the moment) and trying to find anything I might like from my old decklists.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I've still got my cards and decks from when I last played... heck, I don't even remember, whenever Mirrodin was out? That's the last box of boosters I bought... the guy who used to host the playgroup moved and now they play maybe an hour away, as opposed to 15 min away. Plus the kids and schedules make it hard to get out there, so I only play here on the forums. But I'm just biding my time, waiting until I can get back in...

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
There might be a whole lot of members that are still playing but aren't active on the forum anymore. Instead of a "membership drive", wouldn't it pay off to get these members back in active duty? Some boards spam me periodically when I haven't posted in a while (I hate that, grrr), and vBulletin has the option of spamming errr... sending mail to all members.

Anyway, for some time Magic Online was a nice way of playing the occasional game of magic, but I noticed that it's not necessarily the game but more the physical cards and the social contact that I enjoy. I don't really enjoy playing with strangers, definately not when they're of the competitive sort (so I dislike tourneys...). Since I moved here (three years ago) I haven't found a new playgroup. There's a good magic club, but I hardly go there. Still, I enjoy reading about the game and collecting cards, plus theorizing about decks.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I guess we could send out a mass email saying "miss you"... I just figure that usually, people who were active here in the past have posted so much that they should be familiar with the url and can always check it... I know some have moved to the Vintage tourney scene, like 13NoVa, and we don't offer much help with that, so they've moved on to other forums that can help them (like ManaDrain). Fortunately, he checks in a couple times :)

E

EricBess

I think if we were to send a "miss you" email, it would be a good idea to include some "reason" why they might want to pop by for a visit. For example, instead of just saying "miss you", you might say, "we have a new <foo> forum you might be interested in", or "we are starting a new <foo> tournament".

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
EricBess;273528 said:
I think if we were to send a "miss you" email, it would be a good idea to include some "reason" why they might want to pop by for a visit. For example, instead of just saying "miss you", you might say, "we have a new <foo> forum you might be interested in", or "we are starting a new <foo> tournament".
Indeed. "We" did it when we recently moved to our new vB forum. It didn't quite have the effect I was hoping for, but any regular you might get back is a victory in itself. Isn't there some massive CPA birthday coming up or something?

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
July of 1999...;)

EricBess has the right of it though - we would need to do something different, like give the front page a facelift, or go back to the orange and black theme (for example), to give people a reason to check in. Then we'd need more useable front page article submissions to KEEP their interest, that is, if you're trying to rebuild our active membership, and I'm not sure if anyone is currently interested in doing THAT job.

Any takers? ;)