2014 Core Set Rules Preview

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Spiderman, May 23, 2013.

1. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

2014 Core Set Rules Preview

Basically the big change is how legends and planeswalkers are handled. Additional explanation here
  2. Oversoul The Tentacled One

I actually like this change.
  3. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

The actual rules update

Magic 2014 Update Bulletin

I don't think anyone here plays Constructed with a sideboard, but I thought it interesting that now you can have a sideboard up to 15 cards and don't have to make trades 1-1 anymore between the main deck and the sideboard.
  4. turgy22 Nothing Special

Can someone summarize the changes for those of us too lazy to read the links, but not lazy enough to not bother asking for a summary?
    Oversoul likes this.
  5. Oversoul The Tentacled One

"Indestructable" is now a keyword, so now a bunch of cards are grammatically silly. "Equipped creature has indestructable." I can has cheeseburger?

Chaos Orb no longer destroys tokens. Well, I guess I won't be using it anymore. Actually, Chaos Orb could be really good in a Relentless Pony type of deck. I should remember to do that some day. I just have to find some suckers that will let me use the Relentless Pony combo in an actual game.

Venarian Gold now actually does what it was supposed to do. Apparently they accidentally broke it with a previous Oracle update.

What Spidey said about sideboards.

City in a Bottle is now, hypothetically, slightly more useful. They've changed the rules to disregard expansion symbols, and the three cards that refer to specific sets will apparently be modified to affect all cards that were originally printed in those sets. So City in a Bottle now hits any cards that are reprints of Arabian Nights cards. Those cards are still only slightly more likely to see play than Chaos Orb, but it's interesting anyway.

There's a new rule to prevent players from ending up in "Go Fish" situations. The example used is that if you're forced to cast Disaster Radius if able, and you have the mana, but the additional cost involves revealing a creature in your hand, which you may or may not actually have. So now you just don't have to cast the spell.

Legendary cards can now go by their first names all the time, although there don't seem to be any actual Oracle changes that take advantage of this yet.

There's now a rule for the situation in which an effect attempts to put a non-aura enchantment onto the battlefield attached to something (the example used is Flickerform with Copy Enchantment). The enchantment comes out unattached.

There's a new "planeswalker uniqueness rule" similar to the legend rule, I guess. So apparently I used to be able to have four different versions of Jace all on the battlefield at the same time, but now I'll have to choose one and let the others die. Harsh?

There's a new rule for situations in which triggered abilities are copied.

Convoke and Delve are changed.

The legend rule is changed so that if one player controls two or more legendary permanents with the same name, that player chooses one and the others die.
  6. turgy22 Nothing Special

7. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

I think most of the changes are cosmetic, with Oracle wording for the cards matching the rules or tweaking rules text so the intent of the card remains what it's supposed to be. "Significant" rule changes, that might change how a card/ability/rules behaves from what we're used to, such as the legend rule or the sideboard rule, I do try to mention.