2 Planes Crash into WTC

R

Rando

Two aeroplanes, most likely high-jacked, have crashed into the world trade center in New York.

One was a 767 pasenger craft.

None of the news sites will load.

Does anyone have any info?

R

rkoelsch

You have everything I know. wish I had a radio. I go to lunch at 11 and they have a tv on in the lab.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
A plane crashed into the Pentagon, someone tried to hit a germ-warfare center on 395 in Washington, World Trade Center building 2 collapsed, and White House and Capitol are getting evacuated.

M

mogg bomber

If you haven't seen the news, turn on the t.v. right now. Several planes have crashed today, 1 into each World Trade Center tower, 2-3(I'm not sure of the actual number) into the Pentagon, and one in western PA near Pittsburg. Both the WTC towers have fallen, and U.S. airports are closing today. It's hard to put in words just how terrible this is, I just hope the death count isn't too high when this is all over. I really feel for these people and their families. :(

Z

Zadok001

Jesus fucking Christ.

I think for once, that language is acceptable.

My God.

I don't have words.

R

Rando

I work less then 100 feet away from the Federal Building in Kansas City. As of right now, all traffic is blocked in or out in a 2 block radius around us.

Z

Zadok001

We just got confirmation over here that the order of events was:

1. Plane crashes into tower 1.
2. 5 minutes later, a second plane hits tower 2 (there's video footage of that... :( )
3. Thirty seconds later, tower 2 collapses to the ground.
4. Fifteen seconds later, tower 1 collapses.
5. A few minutes after that, a plane collides with the Pentagon.

R

rkoelsch

I think panic is setting in everywhere. I can't comprehend the logistics of this massive attack.

G

Gizmo

I think a lot of reports are going to be proved wrong later. RIght now all confirmed are 2 hit WTC and 1 hit Pentagon, 1 crashes outside Pittsburgh.

Apparently 80% of the web is down as servers are overloaded.

1) People are dead. Thats blatantly terrible
2) Terrorism sucks
3) This was coming, you cant keep pissing on people with bombs and expect them not to use them.
4) We can only hope that this WILL affect the Israeli situation and force a solution. I think it is a response to the fact that the US withdrew from peace talks in Israel within about 8 hours of a week-long schedule. :rolleyes:

Bush and Sharon played chicken with religious fanatics who are willing to die, they can hardly be surprised it happened.

G

Griffith_se

Pissing on People?
Well maybe, but you ain't seen nothing yet.

The talks in Israel?
The animals that did this have no intrest in peace, agree or disagree?

Surely I know You better than this, your not Actually suggesting that those thousands of people were asking for it?

I'm just so angry and sick I don't know what to say.

U

Ura

A plane has crashed into each WTC building 18 minutes apart. Aproximately 1 hour later the second building hit collapsed. 20 Minutes later the first building hit collapsed. During these events the pentengon had a light aircraft crash into its west side which is now collapsed.
A plane has crashed outside of camp david and a 747 is confirmed going down aprox. 100 miles outside of Pittsburg.
A car bomb was detonated outside the state building in washington.
at this time there are 2 flights that are "unacounted for" coming over to the atlantic redirected to pearson airport in Toronto.
All world leaders so far are condeming the act and Israel has evactuated all of its embassies world wide.
Currently emergency meetings are taking place in London and Ottawa and President Bush is expected to make a statement within the next hour as he is back in Washington DC.

We can only pray that the attacks are over.

Also just in. The ruling Taliban in Afghanastan has made official statement that it is appaled and condeming this inhumain act, partially in fear that the US may retaliate against Osama Bin Laden.

R

rkoelsch

Most of my company has gone home. The management realized there wasn't any work being done. I volunteered to stay and man the phones with a couple others on the odd chance someone needs some help.

N

NeuroDeus

Kamikaze Attacks

2x World Trade Center
1x Pentagon
1x Pittsburgh, 100 miles away
1x Somerset, Pennyslvania

2x still unaccouted... one thought to be circling Washington -> possible attack on White House.

is that right... hope you guys at america are all ok... hope my new york relatives are alive...

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Let's just hope that this doesn't get any worse. The attack seem to have stopped.

Ransac, cpa trash man

R

Rando

FROM THE WASHINGTON POST

By Peter Slevin and Barton Gellman
Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, September 11, 2001; 2:11 p.m.

NEW YORK, Sept. 11 -- Jet-fuel fireballs billowed orange when two jetliners powered into the tallest buildings on the New York City skyline. The air fast turned black and acrid, and some workers jumped from shattered windows of the World Trade Center's twin towers as debris and shredded office supplies showered the streets of lower Manhattan.

Refugees from the burning buildings raced and staggered outside into what had been, a few minutes earlier, a crystalline day. Some screamed, others cried out, others sat on curbsides in mute shock, their faces and their business suits streaked with soot. The unhurt supported the wounded, with one man helping a stranger who had lost much of his skin.

Terrorists had exploded their bombs before, including one at this very same place, but no one had ever experienced anything as stunning as today's attack on the World Trade Center. Witnesses described watching one of the towers collapse, saying it looked as though one of the best-known landmarks in the country had simply melted.

Fireman Carlos Muniz, draped in soot, lined up victims beside the smoldering buildings.

"Some were alive, some were dead, some were really badly burned," Muniz said. "It just rained and rained soot, and it was dark. When you see cops running, you know you've got no chance."

Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani said the attack caused a "horrendous number of lives lost" at the twin towers, where about 50,000 people worked. The first plane hit shortly before 9 a.m., and the second about 25 minutes later. No accurate estimate of the number of casualties was available this afternoon.

Giuliani ordered an evacuation of the lower part of Manhattan and said the primary election for the city had been canceled. Subway service stopped. Airports were closed. With cellular telephone systems out of service, Manhattanites lined up at phone booths.

Clusters of people gathered around hot dog stands to listen to radios. Parents pulled their children from schools. New York Gov. George Pataki announced he was sending National Guard units.

Valerie Johnson stood in Foley Square, which became a staging area for fire and rescue teams that arrived from miles away. They tended the wounded as a long lick of flame crawled toward the top of one of the two towers. She screamed, "My niece works in 7 World Trade Center. I'm trying to get in touch with someone. Oh God, oh God."

Black and gray clouds enveloped the buildings. An enormous rumble, described by one witness as sounding like thunder, only lasting longer, shook the ground. One of the buildings began to collapse. A few moments later, witnesses said, the top of the tower simply was not there.

Viewed from several miles away on the Long Island Expressway, where traffic came to a stop, the blackened towers looked to one witness like smokestacks, or burning cigarettes.

On the ground, well-heeled and casually dressed workers alike streamed north, away from the towers and the financial district. Many gasped and cried. Eyes burning, nostrils sometimes burning and sinuses filled with phlegm, some plunged their heads into city fountains.

Dave Kansas, at home in his Broadway apartment, heard the first jetliner crash into one of the towers and ran to see. He arrived just in time to watch the second plane hit, and a fireball of igniting jet fuel billow out the building's side. Debris poured everywhere.

"It was gruesome. People were falling out of the building from very high up. People started crying," Kansas said. He described watching people's hands tremble as they tried hurriedly to work their cellphones.

Rick Nessel is a management consultant whose 20th-floor office is a block away from the World Trade Center.

"I was sitting at my desk and heard the explosion and at first thought it was maybe the air conditioning ducts imploding or something. Then I heard people who were sitting by the window scream," Nessel said. "We saw things falling and thought it was debris but it wasn't. They were bodies."

Nessel hurried to his wife's office as one of the towers collapsed.

"It was surreal."

Brooklyn resident Alex Battles was at home, getting ready for work, when he heard the explosion. He assumed somebody was using dynamite on a construction site. Someone on the street told him what had happened. Then he saw papers fluttering across the East River and into Brooklyn. He made it into Manhattan and watched from his office at 23rd Street and Sixth Avenue.

"The south tower seemed to lean toward the east as it went down," he said. "The second one went straight down."

Streets became covered with ashes -- ankle-deep in places -- and vast quantities of office paper littered the ground, along with stray shoes, pocketbooks and broken bits of computer equipment. Soon, police cordoned off the area, to allow rescue crews to work.

"I see something that's unimaginable," said former New York police commissioner Howard Safir. "Nobody would ever contemplate that we would lose the World Trade Center. You have to treat it like a war zone. I know that every ambulance and every fire truck in the city has been called in and dispatched there."

Much that was ordinary came to a stop. The New York Stock Exchange and Nasdaq never opened. Marriott announced that that all its New York hotels were being evacuated. Hockey star Eric Lindross, set to begin a triumphal arrival tour, saw his appearance on the morning Regis and Kelly talk show canceled. For one day, at least, he was invisible.

With traffic knotted and the subways shuttered, workers streamed across Manhattan's bridges in the late morning, headed home. Many taxis were headed uptown, their off-duty lights on, accepting no passengers. Strangers all over town talked with one another, trading news and commiseration.

At the NYU Downtown Hospital, medical volunteers hurried to help. Lightly injured victims sat in waiting rooms, some crying, some covered with white dust. A police man walked through the room, asking for details, looking for people still unaccounted for.

Verrette Abel, who worked on the 44th Floor of World Trade Center One, spoke of her horrific morning. It was nearly 9 a.m., and a group of workers were standing around, talking. The building started to shake and sway. She looked out a window and saw a dead body on the ground. Above, black smoke.

Abel and her colleagues walked down 44 flights and out into the street.

"On the plaza, you could see all these bodies lying all over the place," Abel said. "The cops were like, 'Move it! Move it!' There's another explosion. I look back and I can see all this black smoke. I try to get into a police car, but I can't. I run into this building. I hear another boom. I can't believe it."

Staff writers Rachel Nichols Alexander, Richard Cohen, Christine Haughney, Serge Kovaleski and Sally Jenkins contributed to this report.

© 2001 The Washington Post Company

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

Some people have compared this to Pearl Harbor, I fear that this is not so meak a moment in history. Innocent people, may I reiterate that innocent people have died. These people were mearly setting out for yet another work day, why someone thought that they could solve their problems, or gain some sense of honor by slaughtering people not associated with harming them in any way is beyond me. I grieve for the families of these victims, who have had their loved ones violently and suddenly taken from them. I pray that there will be some retribution for such a tragedy.

C

Cateran Emperor

Someone is going to pay for this. In blood. If this comes to war, I'm immediately signing up to slay the fantastically long string of expletives deleted, it would exceed the number of characters allowed in a post

I know a hell of a lot of other Americans who, if they don't feel this way now, will when they hear the total casualties and damage done.

Whoever did this fucked with innocent American lives, and God help me I'll have their heads for it.

As for the Pearl Harbor analogy, well, Pearl was nothing compared to this atrocity. We all remember that day horrifically, yet now we have to live with something that can top that in terms of rage inducing fury.

No one, absolutely no one, fucks with America like this and gets away alive.

A

Apollo

Damn.

I was walking into my third period class. My teacher had the TV on, and people were talking. Someone wondered aloud how someone could accidentally hit the WTC with a plane. Just then, I looked up and saw the second one hit.

This kind of thing is unbelievable. My dad works at NASA Lewis, and was evacuated when they thought a plane with a bomb onboard was headed for them. I just feel lucky that nobody I know was hurt. Hopefully nobody that goes here, or any of your friends or relatives were hurt.

And hopefully, whoever did this has their ass handed to them, with the head tucked inside.