2½ weeks

Ferret

Staff member
Say, any word from Doust - yeah, I know that's getting old, but I'm going to one of the largest 'cons in Tampa Bay area in a two and a half weeks and I was hoping I'd get a chance to plug the CPA while I was there. I think it would be a nice oportunity to expand our membership (which seems to be hiding these days) and get ourselves noticed.

I've been reading the articles in The Dojo and the posts in their forums and everything is revolving around the Pro Tour - hell, I've been concerning myself w/ the way the new MM cards will be affecting tourney play - and I really don't want to do that...personaly, if someone played 4 Masticores and all blue against me in casual play I think I would be forced to tear one of his limbs off...that would be fun...

anyhoo, Mike I know the site's been ready - and the Forums looks great! - so, it's time just start thinking happy thoughts that Mr Doust will come to our aid...

-ferret

"...if you believe in David Doust clap your hands..."

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Well then, we're just going to have to send you the official CPA hat, shirt, pants, shoes and socks. These must be worn at all times, or you will be relieved of your founder status.
j/k Although a shirt would be pretty cool.

Did we all send e-mail to Mr. Doust? I just re-discovered the e-mail in my box, so, when I get a chance I'm gonna drop him a line.

I know the site is just sitting there, because I haven't wanted to add too many new articles. But if you guys want me too, I can add a few (I think we have about 10 more). Should I?

Edit:
Does anyone think I should change the forums to look like the site? At least colorwise. Gimme your opinions.

-mike
<font size="2" color="red">* Ed Sullivan claps</font>

[Edited by Ed Sullivan (09-20-1999 at 07:37 AM).]

Ferret

Staff member
Well, not going to wear a shirt - but I am going to put "CPA" on my nametag - if anything, just to see if anyone will want me to do their taxes

I think we should keep the site as-is for now. It looked good the last time I saw it.

I sent off my mail to Mr Doust already... hopefully, he'll have some time off now that GP Memphis is over to answer our mails...

-ferret

"...still have high hopes..."

B

Baron Sengir

I have sent numerous e-mails to Mr. Doust over the weekend. All I can do now is wait. We have lost so much of the momentum that we had in the beginning that it just sickens me.

We can still do this, guys. We can't lose hope. There is too much of us invested in this thing to let it go now. I will NOT stand by and let the Casual Players Alliance die. I know none of you will either.

We need something to get people's attention again. We need something huge. Something that will make people notice the CPA again. In short, WE NEED THE F#CKING WEBSITE!!!! There. I feel better. Waiting is not one of my strong points.

Which brings me to my next point: If Doust screws us over, what do we do next? We need a contingency plan. We've probably got no shot with theDojo and I hate to go crawling to anyone but we need some help or we're not going to do anything. Besides, Doust owes Ferret the $200 that he said he'd reimburse.

I need to think. Be back in a few.

I remain
The Baron
Looking for someone to Channel-Fireball. Yeah, it's cheesy as hell but it makes me feel better.

B

Baron Sengir

Oh yeah, one last thing. Is there any way we can actually get the site onto the domain? That may be what Doust is waiting for. Of course, I don't know because I haven't heard from him in so frigging long.

I remain
The Baron
clapping my hands until they bleed

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
(Little note, the cookies get "expired" pretty quickly, so you may have to occasionally retype. Sorry.)

See, Doust said he was going to give us a website. I took that as saying he was going to give us webspace. Therefore, to hook the site up, he needs to give us IPs that are unique to him. I mean, if he decides to suddenly drop us, we could still probably find a site that allows us to hook up domains to it. But there aren't too many places that allow that, unless you want to pay $20+ per month.

Are we or Doust official (read: legally) bound to anything? I mean, so does Doust still have to pay Ferret $119, even if he shirks us?

And I think we could probably still get on TheDojo, but I don't really want to. Mr. Doust gave us so many nice features. We could probably try BrainBurst (which I would prefer over thedojo)

-mike
About to mail-bomb Mr. Doust... no, I'm kidding

Ferret

Staff member
I still think Doust will come through for us and I really really really don't want to be affiliated w/ The Dojo - I'm growing to hate that site and since NewWave is their cheap competitor I want to be behind them sticking it to them any chance I get...

-ferret

"...feeling a little evil, today &gt;:}"

[Edited by Ferret (09-20-1999 at 07:55 PM).]

T

theorgg

What?

I LIKE the dojo.

you just have to ignore the A$$h*les.

-theorgg
I'm bigger than I think, I think.

N

nekrataal

If Doust ditches us I'd still prefer Brainburst. The dojo is waaay too pro oriented.

"Monkeys, Faeries, Gnomes and all things magical!"

Ferret

Staff member
I'd love to ignore them - the problem is that too many of them are the ones running the site. As Nekraatal pointed out it's too pro-oriented and lately, it seems to be the home of a couple of political correctness issues that I'd rather not be part of, thank you.

I just want to play. I don't care about prizes or prestige - well, I would like people to read my articles and appreciate their content, but that's another story.

The Dojo has the "Casual coverage" it needs w/ that annoying "Casual Fridays" collumn - they don't need us...they just wanted us so that we don't go to New Wave. New Wave is their competition and they want anything New Wave has...and besides, I still have faith in Doust - even if he is insanely busy and seems to be ignoring us

-ferret

"...I feel like I'm in the middle of the Cola Wars and I do not want to choose RC Cola while Pepsi still wants us..."

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Ed, speaking to your question at the top of this thread, put me down for a vote in favor of a little color on the forums. I think that the colored lettering would have more impact then, too.

Oh the web site issue, I just wish it wasn't taking so long. I agree with the Baron in that the momentum loss hurts us a lot.

TomB
CPA Member
"...but I like Coke!"

N

nekrataal

Hey ferret, I read your reply concerning that whole Wakefield thing. Good writing.

-nekrataal
"I am an addict and Magic is my crack..."

Ferret

Staff member
Thanks. I had fun writing it. I have to write something while waiting for the site to go up or I'll go crazy...can't wait to get my mitts on a spoiler for MM - going to write a six-part review of the cards from a casual player's point of view...

-ferret

"...I just hope I have a site to write it on..."

N

nekrataal

Ed, you are a genius. This new color scheme and graphics make us look like the first class operation we will be. Thanks again for your work on the UBB, it looks great!

-nekrataal
"WOW"

B

Baron Sengir

Founders!!!

Have we all contacted Mr. Doust? I can't believe he'd just ignore us. Has everyone contacted him?

I remain
The Baron
Child of Gaea, where are you?

T

theorgg

I am going to be at the Georgia pre-relese,
If he is there, I will ask him. If not, I'll try to ask his wife, stacy. usually she is too buisy to talk, however.

-theorgg
I'm bigger than I think, I think.

B

Baron Sengir

Good. It's nice to know that we may actually get to talk to this man face to face. If you see him, try to find out what's going on and if he is still interested in us because we are definitely still interested in him.

Good luck, guys.

I remain
The Baron
Feeling Halloweenish

Ferret

Staff member
There we go - some progress. We'll just wait to see what happens at the end of the weekend...

-ferret

"...the original Holloweenie..."

Z

Zadok001

I also e-mailed him. I have a question: Is there any way to mass-email all member of the CPA? i.e., can we send stuff to the people on this BB to tell them when/if the site is up?

Oh, and everyone go read Ferret's response on the Dojo. It's cool!

--Zadok001, aka Greater Good fanatic
CPA Member
"We have more sprouts than they have hands."

Ferret

Staff member
Well, I'm not sure how to contact him directly - you're the only one that has actually spoken to him on this. I sent the email..I hope this weekend's prereleases don't have him too bogged down...

-ferret

"...if he's in Orlando tomorrow and someone's there talk to him!"