10th Edition 16 card boosters

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
How much more can we make Magic like Yugi-Oh? Tips!?! I thought the whole "legend" in the set thing was because they wanted to make it more advanced.

Ransac, cpa trash man

E

Ephraim

Making the core set more complex and simultaneously including features to make it easier for players to grasp the increased complexity are not exclusive goals. There are multiple functions of the core set. The promotion of iconic cards is one of them. Another is teaching the game to new players.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
So why are they intending to market this to newer player and giving it an Advanced/Intermediate label?

Ransac, cpa trash man

E

Ephraim

Oversoul said:
Are there even any beginner level sets in print right now?
Not of which I am aware, but some of the product packs that they're planning for 10th Edition may qualify sufficiently to be given the Beginner label. I think that WotC is still struggling with finding a good way of teaching the game to new players without resorting to a product that will appeal only to beginners (Portal or Starter.) I've often been tempted to lay down some of my own money to buy core set preconstructed decks to host a demo day.

Does anybody know whether WotC ever offers product giveaways? I know that some other companies do, sometimes. A while ago, I learned to play Warlord: Saga of the Storm at my local shop. They had two precon decks that they handed out and then taught us to play with those. (I still have the cards. It was kind of a neat game.)

I think it would be kind of exciting to get together a group of gamers to each chip in for a box of preconstructed decks. Heck, I bet that if I told the owner of the game store that we're going to give them away to teach new players the game, we could even get a discount.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think WOTC offers product giveaways, but you can probably get your more experiences players to chip in a bunch of commons/uncommons/not needed rares frpm their card pools and make decks or make the pool available to newcomers.

Killer Joe

I actually have the Portal II pre-con decks and the mono-colored pre-cons from 7E to 9E and will most definately get the "XE" mono-colored pre-cons.

E

Ephraim

Even if I don't actually give them away, it might be worthwhile to have one of each of them available for teaching purposes. I'd have to look, but I probably own enough cards to assemble them from scratch. I might still buy them, just to save myself the inconvenience and to have the cards in fresh, black-bordered condition. (I am sure, for example, that my playset of Youthful Knights is in "played" condition.)

N

Nightstalkers

I dunno about you guys, but I actually liked some of Portal's themes.

FYI everyone who has been bugging me....

THAT is what a saproling is.

Killer Joe

Yesterday Moosie and I stopped by our local shop to shoot the breeze with folks attending the Tenth Ed. party and I picked up all five pre-cons for $48, I'm good for now. :)

D

DarthFerret

I went to the Game Day this weekend, and had a pretty good time....went 3-2 in the Sealed tourney, not quite high enough to place top 8. During the draft, I started with a heavy red black, then realized that everyone around me was drafting either the red or the black....So my powerbase dropped down. In the first round, I went 1-2. The second round i had mana problems every game, and lost both. By this time it was 10p.m. and I decided to drop and leave. Did not really want the backpack or counters anyway. The good news is that everyone that stayed for the second round got a complete playset of the promo card instead of just 1 or 2!

Thus ends my very uninformative report.

T

train

The Game Day was ok down here I went 3-2 in swiss and was number 9 in the cut to top 8... Ran B/W...

got my promo Reya...

Not impressed with the lands in the packs... beneficial to a point, but I don't see the actual need... As for the tip/token cards... I like the tip cards, because my daughters can use them, and it adds to the appeal - "WOW, I didn't know that" based on something I might not have taught them yet...

As for the okens - I like them...

As for the set overall - I think it impressive... much better that 6-9th editions...