100 Hour Games

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I got a note from the Gamespy newsletter saying there's a thread about 100 Hour Games. So I thought I'd start one here.

Are there any computer games you've played for 100 hours?

I would say the only one that might come close to me is Warlords 3: Dark Lords Rising. I've played and finished the campaign and almost played every scenario with every side available to it and I've played a few email games.

Next would be Stronghold Crusader, but I haven't finished the campaign. I have played a lot of the scenarios though from different starting points since for about half of them, they're not the same when you switch sides. But I don't think I've played 100 hours worth, maybe around 50.

L

Limited

Starcraft; I was totally addicted to that game.. played all campaigns several times (some with self-imposed restrictions)

Next on my list is Max Payne II, because of the 'Dead Man Walking' option (small scenes with limited amount of ammo where more and more opponents spawn, the option being to survive for as long as possible (usually just a few minutes))

And Half Life might make the list, but that was a long time ago..

N

Nightstalkers

The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind & The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion would be on those lists mainly due to the fact that most people like to do the quests, then just play with the area... With TES4: Oblivion the players can even play with the dead bodies if they wanted (yes, I'm one of those sick freaks who make mudcrabs dance).

B

BigBlue

I play most games that much.... only because I like replaying them to finish every quest....

But, I've probably logged the most hours on 3 games...

Diablo II & it's expansion... The grand daddy of replay games... I have finished it several times and still pull it out for hack and slash...

Neverwinter Nights and it's expansions... I've finished each expansion a couple times and played several of the fan modules. I still play it once in a while, but not as often as I used to. I tried my hand at writing a module, but I'm just not patient enough to bear down through some of the mundane details.

Civilization II & III... I get so aggrevated by the "simplicity" of this game that I forget to go to bed until dawn... It just seems like it should be easy, yet I always find new ways to lose - though I know the game cheats to a degree. There's almost always an alliance against the human... probably justified since I'm usually ahead of them... but still it doesn't seem fair to always be ganged up on by a computer which cheats. and yet I still come back for more.... :D

D

DarthFerret

Star Craft definately, also Half Life (Blue shift more than the others).

Also, I did the Pool of Radiance and the Neverwinter Nights....as well as Baldurs Gate I and II. Recently, not much of anything (although I could be accused of comming close to that with the X Box game Smash Brothers)

N

Nightstalkers

Check into TES: Morrowind ($20 with both expansions at BestBuy) and Oblivion (New $50+, might need computer upgrade) if you like Diablo 2 and especially Neverwinter Nights.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
StarCraft, WarCraft II, Diablo I and II...Icewind Dale 1&2...Microprose Magic, to name a few...;)

J

jorael

TomB said:
StarCraft, WarCraft II, Diablo I and II...Icewind Dale 1&2...Microprose Magic, to name a few...;)
Do you mean Master of Magic? That's the game I've played mostly. It ran on my 486 pc (before the dawn of pentium) and was great. For reference: if you have played Master of Orion, this game is very similar but witha fantasy setting.

It had 5 magical colors (like MTG color wheel, seriously) and you could create a specialized wizard, build cities & armies, recruit heroes, explore dungeons. etc. A warlord wizard with white spells and halfling/barbarian tribes was my preference, but I played a lot of different combinations.

I better stop now, before I ramble on for pages and pages... :)

Other than that I still regularly play Medal of Honor online. I'm no top player, but I can do well with that FPS.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
That'd be the one, NS...It was really buggy, and the computer made some really stupid plays sometimes, but when you can't get a game anywhere else it was a nice time-waster...:)

N

Nightstalkers

Only problem is that you have to get your system to dual boot to Win98 if you really wanna get it to work properly.

The only thing I found that the patch did was to close the cheat that allowed you to stop on the computer's untap or upkeep phase and manaburn him.

B

BigBlue

NS... there is a fix for the game to work on XP... I run it all the time... I'd forgotten it when mentioning the 100 hour games... in a good month I may play that one 100 hours (ok, not really....)

Morrowind, I got it with the expansions... I got into it a bit, but for some reason put it down... I think part of what ruined it was when I figured out I could make as much $ as I wanted by studying alchemy and practicing a lot... Then I figured out how easy it was to steal... so I got almost all grandmaster alchemy equipment (I can't find one or two components)... but spending 15G on components and turning them into 1500+G in potions while getting better all the time makes the game a bit different... and doesn't really take that much time. It would have been different if I couldn't just keep buying components, but if a keeper sells more than 10 of them, every visit get's you them - like when I stand right in front of them making potions... while using fortify intelligence... The hardest part is finding money... so I carry around like 500 Vampire dusts.... Then I figured out how to make magic items... unfortunately I haven't figured out the key to getting them to charge faster... my very powerful sword only works a couple combats before needing to recharge - which takes game DAYS.... My enchant isn't all that high though... OK - enough... I should start a new MW:TES thread I suppose... :D

N

Nightstalkers

Yeah, I know about the XP patch for M:TG but it never seemed to work for me (game always crashes on startup).

Morrowind has it's problems, but those are really fixed in Oblivion. The only problems I've found in Oblivion are the small glitches that people have been exploiting. You can find the exploits by googling them.

Heh... try playing as a vampire on Morrowind though... it's kinda fun. Werewolf is also sweet.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, I've stopped playing the MTG game since my Win98 comp died...:(

I tried the MW:TES game, but I never really got into it that much...My eldest has been playing it a bit lately though...Maybe I should look into copping him the expansions then...Oblivion is good?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't even tried to put it on my XP machine... just wouldn't have had the time to play it (I'm playing Icewind Dale on it).

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I think the Final Fantasy games are the only games I've played for that long. Perhaps Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana, but it would've had to have been an RPG game for the SNES in the early-mid 90's.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
The last game I finished was for the SNES, hmmmmmm......
Final Fantasy (the original) or maybe Star Tropics...... Back in the late 80's or early 90's.
Oh wait, does on-line poker count as a computer game? Then I have over 300 hours played in the last 1.5 years..........

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Mooseman said:
The last game I finished was for the SNES, hmmmmmm......
Final Fantasy (the original)
I thought that was for NES, not SNES.

Similar topic: Does anybody remember "Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest"?

Ransac, cpa trash man

N

Nightstalkers

TomB said:
Actually, I've stopped playing the MTG game since my Win98 comp died...:(

I tried the MW:TES game, but I never really got into it that much...My eldest has been playing it a bit lately though...Maybe I should look into copping him the expansions then...Oblivion is good?
Oblivion is good, but it's no expansion. Make sure your system has the specs to run it.

B

BigBlue

That's the one they also ported to the 360, isn't it? I don't like to spend top $ on new games... I'll wait 'til they drop it a bit.

I own the expansions to MW:TES, but I never even loaded them yet... I was hoping to finish the first one, but set it down and haven't gotten back into it... maybe tonight...